Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

imagine going back to 2011 to tell NFL fans that A-rod packers would not make it back to the SB after beating us.

And that he won 4 MVPs and went to 4 NFC conference games in that time too. 

Crazy. 

14 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Crazy. 

That’s why I don’t give the Rams crap for going all in to win a SB…yea you have to embrace cap hell and sucking but you got ring.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Crazy. 

niners and Eagles were able to win the conf more times, despite going through multiple rebuilds in that time.

I know it's hard to make the SB, but GB had two top 10 all-time quarterbacks in a conf that did not have a Manning, Brady and Mahomes or a consistent contender like a Ravens/Steelers. To only have 3 superbowl appearances in that span(nearly 30 yrs) has to be disappointing

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AFF said:

That’s why I don’t give the Rams crap for going all in to win a SB…yea you have to embrace cap hell and sucking but you got ring.

I a firm believer in going for it whenever the window comes. But I also think you should build a solid base before you do it.  

I think there is a big difference between the Rams going for it and the Eagles. Rams had no base, they are going to hurt for a while now. The Eagles had a nice base. It's going to hurt, but it's likely short term. We have seen them turn over and start back up quickly. The Rams had been in like an 18 year rut before this stint and I think they might go right back. But then there is a team like the Packers who are anti-go for it but always had a strong base and were always in the conversation. 

I do think this is a fun debate to have though.

Last 12 years for those three teams:

- 9 playoff appearances, 4 conference championship games, 7 playoff wins, zero super bowls
- 4 playoff appearances, 2 conference championship games, 7 playoff wins, 1 super bowl
- 6 playoff appearances, 2 conference championships games, 6 playoff wins, 1 super bowl

Kinda nuts to me that the Packers NEVER made it a super bowl with those results in the last 12 years, but the Eagles and the Rams made it to multiple. 

What a difference 13 years instead of 12 does though....

- 10 playoff appearances, 5 conference championship games, 11 playoff wins, 1 super bowl
- 4 playoff appearances, 2 conference championship games, 7 playoff wins, 1 super bowl
- 7 playoff appearances, 2 conference championships games, 6 playoff wins, 1 super bowl

Edited by Dcash4
Forgot to change the 13th year super bowl for the pack

And for fun, here is a look at the Steelers in the 12/13 year view:

12 years:

- 7 playoff appearances, 1 conference championship games, 3 playoff wins, 0 super bowls

13 years:

- 8 playoff appearances, 2 conference championship games, 5 playoff wins, 1 super bowl

Biggest difference is that they have the ability to get to the playoffs at a high rate, they just don't win when they do as much. 

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Anybody think the Saints would trade 29&40 for 17? Is that a stretch?

I don’t think it’s a stretch, and I think they would do it if certain guys are there, but I rather try to take something lesser than 40 and a future pick. 

Edited by warfelg

3 minutes ago, AFF said:

IIRC Saints have a propensity to deal future draft picks in deals.

They do. 

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think I’d rather have the short term assets. Just personally, though.

I’m a huge fan of continually rolling over an extra day 1-2 picks. Roseman does that and likely something Weidl would push for to have the flexibility to move about the draft without losing too many picks. 

That was one of my big issues with Colbert at times. He give away future late picks but never did much to add to what he was giving way. I think that’s one thing Khan/Weidl would look to do so with this spending they can use picks to supplement depth better. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Hopefully they are smart and trade him to an NFC team

Rumor at owners meeting is no one wants to pay the 2 1sts price, and if he signs the tender they could negotiate a price that’s a little easier to take.

• Like 1