Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

Steelers were able to find success post-terry and pre-ben. the late 80s and late 90s were kinda rough for our standards lol but those days the position was not THAT important. can't say that now. I doubt we'll reach multiple AFC title games and be a top 3ish AFC team with guys like O'donnel, kordell, Tomzack, maddox etc...in the next 20 years lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

Such a weird spot for the entire team to be in, especially if Kenny can’t go this week and Mason leads another big win. Not saying it will end the same way but it feels the same to me as when Foles came in for Wentz, and the team did well and they liked him. 

I think the big tell could be week 18 if we are mathematically eliminated and Kenny is healthy. If he’s Tomlins guy, you bench him and let Mason put more good tape out there potentially. If he’s not Tomlins  guy, you need to play Kenny to get potentially more of a look at him. 

something has to be said about the rest of the team liking the QB and responding overall much better as a result. Your Foles comparison is a good one , but Foles did have an elite OL to help him out.  Still, Mason should play as long as he is good ,  especially if he can get the offence scoring TD's instead of 3 and outs. 

As for more of a look at KP, haven't they seen enough?  I know the OC was blamed, but how many more games would KP have to play to know?  Remembering hearing about tomlin thinking of QB change  before they fired canada, interesting

Such a weird spot for the entire team to be in, especially if Kenny can’t go this week and Mason leads another big win. Not saying it will end the same way but it feels the same to me as when Foles came in for Wentz, and the team did well and they liked him. 

I think the big tell could be week 18 if we are mathematically eliminated and Kenny is healthy. If he’s Tomlins guy, you bench him and let Mason put more good tape out there potentially. If he’s not Tomlins  guy, you need to play Kenny to get potentially more of a look at him. 

Funny , Foles was a thought that came to mind for me this weekend as well. Similar style essentially immobile big armed qbs that caught lightning in a bottle but eventually reality caught up with. When Foles was at Arizona he was one of the most statuesque qbs Id seen in a while but could deal it. Not many peoples cup of tea style nor does it play well typically in todays game.

• Like 1

I decided to quote myself on this, because if Kenny isn't healthy enough but goes anyways I think it tells the team that hope of development for Kenny is more important than making the playoffs, even if missing the playoffs is what's best for the long term success of the franchise.  If you get to week 18 with the playoffs on the line and Mason is the one that lead both times, and stick with mason despite a healthy Kenny, it also tells guys you can lose your job to injury and you've given up on Kenny.

I really think that the best option for this team is to lose against Seattle, Kenny is healthy week 18, and against Baltimore backups he bombs so that way you can confidently move on from him.

1 minute ago, JustPlainNasty said:

Funny , Foles was a thought that came to mind for me this weekend as well. Similar style essentially immobile big armed qbs that caught lightning in a bottle but eventually reality caught up with. When Foles was at Arizona he was one of the most statuesque qbs Id seen in a while but could deal it. Not many peoples cup of tea style nor does it play well typically in todays game.

And frankly, I think that's why Mason was QB3.  I pointed out a few times that Tomin made comments a few times about liking guys like Jackson who move really well and how much it stresses a defense.  Pickett and Mitch aren't anywhere in the league of the mobile guys Tomlin has referenced but they certainly move better than Mason.

1 hour ago, August4th said:

Steelers were able to find success post-terry and pre-ben. the late 80s and late 90s were kinda rough for our standards lol but those days the position was not THAT important. can't say that now. I doubt we'll reach multiple AFC title games and be a top 3ish AFC team with guys like O'donnel, kordell, Tomzack, maddox etc...in the next 20 years lol

We reached 1 Conference championship in the last 12 years with a "franchise qb". Thats essentially 2-3 generations of football rosters. 

Our expectations can be unrealistic, as there are basically 4-5 guys over the last 25 years that have been in multiple conference championships,  and when we are saying multiple we aren't really talking about 2, we're thinking more like 4 or 5 over a career. It was similar over the previous 25 years to my recollection without deep diving. Montana, Aikman, Favre, Elway, Bradshaw

Since 2000

NFC Championships

Kurt Warner : 2 - (01' , 08')...... St. Louis & Arizona

Donovan McNabb 5 - (01', 02', 03', 04' 08')

Jake Delhomme 2 - (03', 05')

Brett Favre 2 - (07' , 09' )......  Green Bay & Minnesota

Eli Manning : 2 - (07' 11')

Colin Kapernick 2 - (12' 13') 

Russel Wilson 2 - (13', 14')

Matt Ryan : 2 - (12', 16') 

Drew Brees : 3 - (06', 09', 18')

Aaron Rodgers 5 - (10', 14', 16', 19', 20')  

Jimmy Garropolo 2 - (19', 21')

AFC Championships

Rich Gannon : 2 - (00', 02')

Mark Sanchez 2 - (09', 10')

Joe Flacco : 3 - (08' 11' 12')

Peyton Manning : 5 - (03', 06' 09', 13', 15') ......Indianapolis & Denver

Ben Roethlisberger : 5 - (04', 05', 08', 10, 16') 

Tom Brady : 14 - (01'**, 03', 04',06', 07', 11', 12',13',14',15',16',17, 18',20' ).....2020 w/TB, 2001 started but DNF, Bledsoe won the game vs PIT, well really that damn Troy Brown did.

Patrick Mahomes 5 - (18', 19', 20' 21' 22') 

How many not so franchise qbs  made it twice ?

Brady & New England during the 2010's is just insane. 

Mahomes 5 straight...likely gonna end this year.

Edited by JustPlainNasty

I decided to quote myself on this, because if Kenny isn't healthy enough but goes anyways I think it tells the team that hope of development for Kenny is more important than making the playoffs, even if missing the playoffs is what's best for the long term success of the franchise.  If you get to week 18 with the playoffs on the line and Mason is the one that lead both times, and stick with mason despite a healthy Kenny, it also tells guys you can lose your job to injury and you've given up on Kenny.

I really think that the best option for this team is to lose against Seattle, Kenny is healthy week 18, and against Baltimore backups he bombs so that way you can confidently move on from him.

I think what would be best case scenario is that Mason starts and doesnt blow it totally, but one way or another Kenny comes in and shows you why he is the guy and wins the game and gets me my over 8.5 wins ;)

The thoughts of Mason playing against Baltimore makes me think of Joe Flacco playing against us back in the day.. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

43 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Broncos are considering Russell Wilson so his $37MM injury guarantee doesn’t hit and it’s a roster bonus in March, allowing them to explore trade or cut. 

just information here, not a hopeful signing

so they are possibly giving up in their season and playoff chances in order to be able to move on from wilson.  

How does this approach affect their cap hit and dead cap moving forward? I see $85M dead cap next year, does that change somehow? What a contract and fail

Edited by 3rivers