Official TAST - This A'int Steelers Talk Thread

43M

13 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

He will find another HC job very quickly. Kraft would probably hire him in New England tomorrow if he wants the job.

The absurd one is “we didn’t work for a trade because we didn’t want to lose time on a job search.”

No one can really start for anyone on a playoff team for two weeks anyways. But ATL, LAC, NE would have been happy to trade for him I bet. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

The absurd one is “we didn’t work for a trade because we didn’t want to lose time on a job search.”

No one can really start for anyone on a playoff team for two weeks anyways. But ATL, LAC, NE would have been happy to trade for him I bet. 

Would not be surprised if Vrabel forced them into it. No coach wants to be “traded” for, why would Vrabel want the team he’s taking over to be giving up valuable assets to get him? Same with Bellichick. Just my guess/theory, it’s why coaches are rarely traded. 

9 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

Would not be surprised if Vrabel forced them into it. No coach wants to be “traded” for, why would Vrabel want the team he’s taking over to be giving up valuable assets to get him? Same with Bellichick. Just my guess/theory, it’s why coaches are rarely traded. 

Yea, I can see that, but then come up with a better excuse than "we didn't want to waste time looking for that."

I doubt many coaches would care about the assets part.  Most coaches would want to be traded, IMO, because it's more dignified than being fired.  Gives a look that their team didn't want to let them go, but the value of the return was too good.  From the coaches side it's a good way to make sure they ended up where they wanted to end up.

35 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yea, I can see that, but then come up with a better excuse than "we didn't want to waste time looking for that."

I doubt many coaches would care about the assets part.  Most coaches would want to be traded, IMO, because it's more dignified than being fired.  Gives a look that their team didn't want to let them go, but the value of the return was too good.  From the coaches side it's a good way to make sure they ended up where they wanted to end up.

Ehhhh idk about that. Smart coaches shouldn’t care about perception over valuable draft capital. Maybe one’s with an ego (Sean Payton) but even that situation was different because he was out of coaching for a year. There’s a reason coaches are almost never traded.

And I’m not sure from the coaches perspective how being traded helps them picks their destination more than being on the open market does…

45 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Ehhhh idk about that. Smart coaches shouldn’t care about perception over valuable draft capital. Maybe one’s with an ego (Sean Payton) but even that situation was different because he was out of coaching for a year. There’s a reason coaches are almost never traded.

And I’m not sure from the coaches perspective how being traded helps them picks their destination more than being on the open market does…

It would require a deep dive on the rules of it, but if a team trades for a coach I don’t think the Rooney Rule applies. 

I actually think the Titans owner said the quiet part out loud on it. Teams don’t want to be bothered because needing to work on a trade would mean getting behind on requesting interviews and hiring someone. I know the NFL has started a small delay, but it really should be bigger. 

Coaches aren’t traded for these reasons, the reality is there’s just too many coaches that are fired because they are bad, and too few coming available because they are good and just want to be elsewhere. 

I feel like there was a chance Vrabel could be one of those coaches. Still really good, dysfunction in the FO/Ownership along with being sunk by terrible picks lately pushed him out rather then him being bad. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Fields is gone 

Yeah, I can't imagine Fields stays. Even if you think he can be a good NFL QB with the right fit (I do), you have a unique chance to draft highly talented franchise guy and start that QB pricing clock all over again. That's super appetizing, especially for a team not using their own draft pick and likely thinking they won't get this opportunity again. 

The only way I think he stays is if someone blows their doors off with an offer they literally cannot refuse. Say something like 3 first+. They bring in more pieces this year, turn it into a make or break Fields year, and if they don't like where it ends they use the extra 25 and 26 capital to trade up for their guy in the next draft. 

Would someone like the Falcons like their current team enough and think they are a QB away from a winner to do it? They have an extra 2nd and 3rd (Ridley), I believe. Young talented guys who will be up for extensions soon and cap space to fill in the gaps you lose without top picks. Could be interesting. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Would someone like the Falcons like their current team enough and think they are a QB away from a winner to do it? They have an extra 2nd and 3rd (Ridley), I believe. Young talented guys who will be up for extensions soon and cap space to fill in the gaps you lose without top picks. Could be interesting. 

PFF’s Stock Exchange pod was talking about it and they said if your the Falcons you offer that Ridley pick and a 4 if it’s the 3rd, 6th if it’s the 2nd.