2018 CFB/2019 Draft Prospects

DreamKid

9 minutes ago, Danand said:

Why? Do you know anything we don't?

Steve Biscotti is not going to sign off on taking a high profile draft pick who is on video repeatedly punching a woman. 

Personal thoughts and/or football reasons aside, it's his team and he's just not going to accept the narrative that will come with that. The front office has openly talked about how guys like Tyreek Hill were off the board post Ray Rice 

I don't think I want to take a WR in the first if all they are going to do is run go/post/slant, especially someone as small as Hollywood.  Lamar's weakness throwing outside the numbers, coupled with this organisations seeming inability to develop a WR (besides the odd deep threat), feels like another WR bust waiting to happen.  

Emmanuel Hall reminds me a bit of Torrey Smith.

2 hours ago, wackywabbit said:

Steve Biscotti is not going to sign off on taking a high profile draft pick who is on video repeatedly punching a woman. 

Personal thoughts and/or football reasons aside, it's his team and he's just not going to accept the narrative that will come with that. The front office has openly talked about how guys like Tyreek Hill were off the board post Ray Rice 

While we didn’t spend a draft pick we did pick up Peanut as an UDFA and it has worked out very well.

Whats more, this isn’t a domestic violence incident. Similar, but slightly different. What’s more news has only been good about Simmons on campus. They say he’s a complete class act. Jimmy Smith had a history and the team still drafted him because they trusted the organizations strength to keep him focused. Elite talents that fall well below their station have a way of forcing a front office to look past their social flaws. Simmons is a top 5 talent in this draft, if he is on the board at pick #22... they better sprint to the podium. Heck if he falls to that 16-20 area I wouldn’t be against trading up for him with a mid round pick.

3 hours ago, diamondbull424 said:

While we didn’t spend a draft pick we did pick up Peanut as an UDFA and it has worked out very well.

Whats more, this isn’t a domestic violence incident. Similar, but slightly different. What’s more news has only been good about Simmons on campus. They say he’s a complete class act. Jimmy Smith had a history and the team still drafted him because they trusted the organizations strength to keep him focused. Elite talents that fall well below their station have a way of forcing a front office to look past their social flaws. Simmons is a top 5 talent in this draft, if he is on the board at pick #22... they better sprint to the podium. Heck if he falls to that 16-20 area I wouldn’t be against trading up for him with a mid round pick.

Also, the team tried to trade for Jarvis Landry. Who is on video repeatedly pushing a drunk woman into a car, and was investigated for DV. An adult having inappropriate physical interactions with a drunk woman should scare a team a hell of a lot more than a minor getting overly physical with a women when defending his sister. Yet we still pursued Landry, with the intention of paying him a lot of money.

Not picking Simmons could really hurt the organization. The Texans, Chargers, Chiefs, Colts, and Patriots all pick below us. Anyone want to picture how much harder those teams will be to beat with an Elite DI on their roster?  Look at the last few Super Bowl teams. Rams- Donald & Suh, Eagles- Cox, Falcons- Grady Garrett- that isn't by accident. You need Elite players in key positions to compete for championships. 

Hopefully DeCosta comes through for us and Simmons is the pick. If he want's to try and replicate the amazing feat of his predecessor Ozzie, and have his first pick as a GM become a HOFer, then ol' Jeffrey is his best shot lol. 

Browns fans are all excited thinking they might be getting OBJ. 

Us not picking Jeffrey Simmons because of a one off emotional reaction as teenager, and then competing against an offensive core of Baker Mayfield-Kareem Hunt-OBJ-Jarvis Landry-Antonio Callaway. Would unfortunately really put misguided morality plays into the proper light for this club.

I will LMFAO in disappointment if the the FO is worried about some silly 2 day mild twitter cycle about how "Theay weint beck on thare wourd" affecting the club- All while other teams in the division stockpile actual headcases and no one cares.

2 hours ago, DreamKid said:

Browns fans are all excited thinking they might be getting OBJ. 

Us not picking Jeffrey Simmons because of a one off emotional reaction as teenager, and then competing against an offensive core of Baker Mayfield-Kareem Hunt-OBJ-Jarvis Landry-Antonio Callaway. Would unfortunately really put misguided morality plays into the proper light for this club.

I will LMFAO in disappointment if the the FO is worried about some silly 2 day mild twitter cycle about how "Theay weint beck on thare wourd" affecting the club- All while other teams in the division stockpile actual headcases and no one cares.

Revisiting this in a broader sense,

The division is different now. It looks like the Browns now have a true franchise QB. They beat us once and took us to the wire in another game. The Bengals and steelers are trending down, but a strong off season for one or both of them could quickly change that. Bottom line, the other teams in the division now all have competent QBs. Our room for error as a franchise is minuscule, we can't move wrong. 

So don't be surprised if you see some "changes" in our approach to team building. Players with minor-medium sized red flags are easier to pass on when you have guaranteed wins within the division, but when you have a true war on your hands- concessions are made. 

15 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Revisiting this in a broader sense,

The division is different now. It looks like the Browns now have a true franchise QB. They beat us once and took us to the wire in another game. The Bengals and steelers are trending down, but a strong off season for one or both of them could quickly change that. Bottom line, the other teams in the division now all have competent QBs. Our room for error as a franchise is minuscule, we can't move wrong. 

So don't be surprised if you see some "changes" in our approach to team building. Players with minor-medium sized red flags are easier to pass on when you have guaranteed wins within the division, but when you have a true war on your hands- concessions are made. 

In one season, the Browns went from a pushover (although the played well within the division) to a legit contender and it is fair if you want to regard them as a favorite for the AFCN title next year. They have a young roster, few holes, are trending upwards, have playmakers on both sides of the football and of course a QB who seems like he is the next young star in the league.

No matter how they did it, they have an edge compared to the rest of the division. The Steelers are in a win now mode with Big Ben getting up in age, Ravens have huge questionmarks at several positions and the team still has to prove it can win in season two with Lamar Jackson and their offensive philosophy. The Bengals are somewhat in limbo, but Dalton is a good enough QB to take the team to a 9-7 and maybe more with a good roster. They have a really good blend of experience and young players on the team but a bad oline and injuries killed them mid season last year.

On paper and with the record from 2018, AFCN is one of the strongest divisions in the league.

The Ravens schedule next year is brutal as well, and we might have to face the reality, that despite Lamar taking us to the playoffs last year, we are two years away from being a contender with the roster overhaul we will experience.

3 minutes ago, Danand said:

The Ravens schedule next year is brutal as well, and we might have to face the reality, that despite Lamar taking us to the playoffs last year, we are two years away from being a contender with the roster overhaul we will experience.

Young and talented players at key positions will keep our floor pretty high, but the NFL is an arms race and we can't fall behind.

Think about the championship contenders we lost to, like the Saints and Chiefs. A player like Jeffrey Simmons would've shifted those Ws back to us. Just as their Elite talents like Michael Thomas & Tyreek Hill shifted it back to them. Turning our nose up at difference making players will turn us into bottom feeders real quick.

Like say we burn a 1st round pick on N'Keal Harry this year. He isn't going to get separation against Denzel Ward or WJIII. He's going to get embarrassed by them and be another dud running around on our offense.

5 minutes ago, DreamKid said:

Young and talented players at key positions will keep our floor pretty high, but the NFL is an arms race and we can't fall behind.

Think about the championship contenders we lost to, like the Saints and Chiefs. A player like Jeffrey Simmons would've shifted those Ws back to us. Just as their Elite talents like Michael Thomas & Tyreek Hill shifted it back to them. Turning our nose up at difference making players will turn us into bottom feeders real quick.

Like say we burn a 1st round pick on N'Keal Harry this year. He isn't going to get separation against Denzel Ward or WJIII. He's going to get embarrassed by them and be another dud running around on our offense.

I have my personal preferences regarding which talents we should pick in the draft, and while N'Keal Harry isn't my favorite prospect, he could be a DeAndre Hopkins type of receiver. Every team want a DeAndre Hopkins on their team.

The Ravens way to build a team with a high floor requires the team to draft and develop players a certain way as well having them play within the scheme. This takes us to or close to the playoffs almost every year.

Against the Steelers however, we have felt what it is like to have playmakers - Antonio Brown doing us in both on key TD's but also being able to take a swing pass, shake a defender and then creating a 12 yard TD out of nothing. LeVeon Bell could do the same. I am not saying we should target those two players, but if we could add that type of playmakers, it would make one hell of a difference.

Keeping our current high floor and then being able to push our ceiling with playmakers who can make something out of nothing will be key if we want to reach the playoffs again. This also might mean we have to go a little beyond our usual approach and pick those players in the draft, that have something to their resume which makes them fall. Simmons could be that type of player (while I don't think his incident should viewed in the same mold as Tyreek Hill, Ray Rice,  and others)

2 minutes ago, Danand said:

I have my personal preferences regarding which talents we should pick in the draft, and while N'Keal Harry isn't my favorite prospect, he could be a DeAndre Hopkins type of receiver. Every team want a DeAndre Hopkins on their team.

I'm super low on him. I think he's slow and one note with his speed. He doesn't have the technical proficiency that JJ Arcega-Whiteside or Riley Ridley do with their routes to compensate either. His production is inflated because of his offense feeding him screens to make use of his above average YAC against college defenders. I'd love to see how much of his production comes from passes longer than 10-15 yards, I'd guess it's quite limited. Also his hands aren't reliable enough to be a Hopkins type player. Feeding slow and iffy handed "jump ball/50-50" receivers is an easy way to torpedo your offense's viability. We saw that with Crabtree last year. Lamar isn't Flacco, he doesn't like to throw into tight windows or give receivers many chances. I'm guessing that trait established in him because of his rare mobility for the position. He likes to stand tall in the pocket and go through his progressions. If no one is open he's either taking off or buying time until someone does. That style won't gel with a player like Harry. 

14 minutes ago, Danand said:

Keeping our current high floor and then being able to push our ceiling with playmakers who can make something out of nothing will be key if we want to reach the playoffs again. This also might mean we have to go a little beyond our usual approach and pick those players in the draft, that have something to their resume which makes them fall. Simmons could be that type of player (while I don't think his incident should viewed in the same mold as Tyreek Hill, Ray Rice,  and others)

Exactly, and I think the FO is aware of this too. I mean who saw the Lasley pick coming last year? I certainly didn't think we'd be interested. The FO was though, because he was a highly productive playmaker- despite being a bit of a headache at times at UCLA. Then what happened? We heard reports of him bringing it to Marcus Peters in our practices against the Rams and overall showing out. Which is why they kept him on the roster all year.

Yea, that's the sad thing. Simmons "red flag" is such nothingness. He's actually by all accounts an incredibly high character player and leader. In other words, he'd actually be a great addition to a locker room. I've lost all hope that the team will upgrade the OL, but I'll cling to the belief that Eric and Co. have to understand the opportunity in front of them with Simmons until he's off the board. 

Get ready to see Hakeem mocked to us a 1000 times before Draft Day. H/W/L/S Freak with incredible upside as a blocker...from Baltimore. So all the pundits are going to go crazy linking us to him. "He can compensate for Lamar's inaccurate throws with his massive catch radius and serve Lamar as an elite blocker on the perimeter" will be the reasoning every time- just presented in different ways. 

Archived