Jaylon Smith Expectations

CAPJ

With Jerry announcing Jaylon will be playing against the Colts on Saturday, what do you expect to get out of him this year?

Does he start at any point this year? 

75 Tackles 2 sacks and 1 Int.

I'll take that for a player that had a good shot to never play again.

I'd say somewhere between 65-85 tackles, 2-4 sacks, at least one or two interceptions and 2-4 forced fumbles. 

This is assuming he is back to at least somewhere close to where he was pre-injury. I don't think it will take him long to supplant Hitchens as the starting MLB. 

I thought he was without question the best player in that draft. He's supposed to play this weekend and that will tell us a lot about how far along he really is.

Basically a safety's speed and agility in a middle linebacker's body.  I'll get back to you next week but I am definitely too excited to see this guy play.

Unfortunately for him his tackle numbers may not be that high cause lee is an absolute freak at getting to the ball carier and hogging those stats. Haha

provided his knee holds up and he's got 80+ % of the explosion he had in college he should hit around that 80 tackle mark though. And will be a lot of fun to see playing alongside lee. 

19 minutes ago, project T.O said:

Unfortunately for him his tackle numbers may not be that high cause lee is an absolute freak at getting to the ball carier and hogging those stats. Haha

provided his knee holds up and he's got 80+ % of the explosion he had in college he should hit around that 80 tackle mark though. And will be a lot of fun to see playing alongside lee. 

It's going to be interesting to watch him and Lee play together. I think they'll both benefit from each other which should help the defense overall. 

37 minutes ago, Desperado82 said:

I'd say somewhere between 65-85 tackles, 2-4 sacks, at least one or two interceptions and 2-4 forced fumbles. 

This is assuming he is back to at least somewhere close to where he was pre-injury. I don't think it will take him long to supplant Hitchens as the starting MLB. 

Have seen reports otherwise, but I think 54 starts from the beginning. Just a hunch.  Lee, Smith, Hitch...then maybe Wilson after susp. 

I can't see them starting him right away. Not because of ability, but because trainers are still going to take it slow with him. On top of that Hitchens and Wilson are both veterans who are having great camps. Wilson's possible suspension could impact this, but I say Smith starts the season as a subpackage player.

I'm not sure that his numbers will reflect the actual impact he will make for this team. They're not similar players, but he, if healthy, can provide what Rolando McClain did for us the year and a half he was healthy/clean. A big, athletic linebacker that can be a thumper against the run or drop into coverage. He might not do it this year, but I expect him to be a true 3-down linebacker if he can play with that brace

Archived