2019 Free Agency Thread

Forge

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

You spelled AJ Green wrong ;).

But really, may not even be someone on that level. Could be a lesser player. Do they double up with Griffen with a super late pick or at this point just ride it out until the draft for edge help?

I'm actually curious if we aren't going the other way and sending someone out if we are looking at trades. Like, I wouldn't be super shocked if Armstead was finally moved. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I'm actually curious if we aren't going the other way and sending someone out if we are looking at trades. Like, I wouldn't be super shocked if Armstead was finally moved. 

Which team will be fine paying him 9M though? Shanny said something like we aren't in a position to be letting good players go. So the Ford signing changes things or what? I mean if we also draft Bosa or Allen, then really what is the point of having Armstead anyways? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

Which team will be fine paying him 9M though? Shanny said something like we aren't in a position to be letting good players go. So the Ford signing changes things or what? I mean if we also draft Bosa or Allen, then really what is the point of having Armstead anyways? 

Given the salary that is going out to the free agents in this free agency periods? I really don't have too many concerns about someone being willing to pick up 9 mil for one year (plus, they can always extend him and lessen that cap hit). But yeah, if I assume that we are taking Bosa (or even Williams), then this backlog doesn't make much sense. I get that you want a rotation, but the rotation is actually okay even without Armstead tbh. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Given the salary that is going out to the free agents in this free agency periods? I really don't have too many concerns about someone being willing to pick up 9 mil for one year (plus, they can always extend him and lessen that cap hit). But yeah, if I assume that we are taking Bosa (or even Williams), then this backlog doesn't make much sense. I get that you want a rotation, but the rotation is actually okay even without Armstead tbh. 

This could also be a wait and see kind of move too. Meaning they have to wait and see what they have with Street and Taylor come TC. But I felt like we should have moved Armsteada while ago..

Just now, John232 said:

This could also be a wait and see kind of move too. Meaning they have to wait and see what they have with Street and Taylor come TC. But I felt like we should have moved Armsteada while ago..

I kind of get the waiting, if only because he was banged up in previous years and not putting his best out there. Last year was really his first healthy season (though should be noted, I think he broke his hand at the end of the season), and make no mistake, he was damn good next year. So this really may be the first year where he was really a viable trade asset where we could flip him for something more than a 6th or something. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

Obviously it should, but I don't understand the love affair. It's not like had been that great when healthy and in the field

Bringing someone back to be a stop gap isn't exactly a love affair.  I also think of we do trade with the Giants for 6 and 17 that will be another Edge and a FS(WR at 2nd rounder).

1 minute ago, DirtyJersey9er said:

Bringing someone back to be a stop gap isn't exactly a love affair.  I also think of we do trade with the Giants for 6 and 17 that will be another Edge and a FS(WR at 2nd rounder).

I am going to be surprised if we trade with the Giants. I'm kind of buying them as going pass rusher at 6 and then snagging Daniel Jones at 17. I'm kind of buying into that. 

Just now, Forge said:

I am going to be surprised if we trade with the Giants. I'm kind of buying them as going pass rusher at 6 and then snagging Daniel Jones at 17. I'm kind of buying into that. 

The first pick is going to dictate a lot.  Also next year is really good for WRs and Safeties.

So Vic Tafur from The Athletic wrote that the 49ers consider Bell a special talent that would have been able to do things that they envisioned McKinnon doing for them last year. And even though he is on track to be fully healthy, they know RBs take longer to recover from ACL injuries than other positions.

Interesting, but I was saying yesterday how much Shanny loves RBs who contribute in the passing game. They probably just felt Bell is a much better version of McKinnon and they can get out of McKinnon's contract with little problem if they had to. 

Just now, Forge said:

Desire - 3 / 22.5 / 12. 

Kind of disappointed that we didn't get in there at that cost, but that's mainly just because I viewed him as the best CB signing available. 

Again though, according to Maiocco it doesn't seem like we are offering any starting spots at corner, just competition against Spoon. Desir probably didn't like that and knew in Indy he is the guaranteed starter.

Why no AB? Why no OBJ? Why no Earl Thomas? (@changokid)
There is no question the 49ers would have wanted Beckham and Thomas, but they are not in a position where they are just one piece away from a championship and would go all-in to acquire either player.

In the case of Beckham, the 49ers did not want to give up the No. 2 overall pick. That is understandable. The Giants are in a similar spot as the 49ers. They need draft picks, so it helped them to be able to acquire a second first-round draft pick from Cleveland, in addition to a third-round selection and safety Jabrill Peppers. I don’t believe the 49ers had a player at a position of need for the Giants to throw into the mix to sweeten their offer.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-mailbag-some-free-agency-needs-filled-others-remain-untouched

So looks like it came down to the Giants wanting the #2 overall pick. Still think swap of 1st rounders, 2020 1st and this year's 3rd or whatever was better than the Browns offer. Unless the Giants think that highly of Peppers.

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-mailbag-some-free-agency-needs-filled-others-remain-untouched

So looks like it came down to the Giants wanting the #2 overall pick. Still think swap of 1st rounders, 2020 1st and this year's 3rd or whatever was better than the Browns offer. Unless the Giants think that highly of Peppers.

So were they willing to swap firsts or no? I still haven't seen where that was said.

Also Jay Ajayi is a FA. I don't know if we'd sign him but he could come cheap even though he literally has no knees.

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

so is maicco saying we should be content with another 7-9/8-8 year? because I'm not. I always said by year three we better be atleast a wildcard team.

Archived