Fire Mike Smith Now

BucsDraftGeek47

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

There are 27 teams giving up less than 300 yards through the air per game. And 14 are on pace to give up less than 4,000 (250 per game) for the season. That's almost half the league.

Jacksonville and Detroit have both also played four games. They've given up less than half the passing yards we have.

Saying it's not possible to be A LOT better than we have been so far is wrong.

Good research again, not to mention opponents have scored 12 out of 13 times in the red zone, which is pathetic.  I m just not buying the Bucs have the stupidest and least talented defense in the league and at its current pace the worst in the history of the league.  Lovie is sitting in his office chuckling "Simple as that".  

Lovie sealed his own fate and I hope Koetter isnt doing the same.

16 hours ago, ravishingone said:

Good research again, not to mention opponents have scored 12 out of 13 times in the red zone, which is pathetic.  I m just not buying the Bucs have the stupidest and least talented defense in the league and at its current pace the worst in the history of the league.  Lovie is sitting in his office chuckling "Simple as that".  

Lovie sealed his own fate and I hope Koetter isnt doing the same.

Even Lovie's defense wasn't THIS bad.

2 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

Even Lovie's defense wasn't THIS bad.

IIRC, Lovie was fired because he wouldnt make changes to his defensive staff.  Is it coincidence Mike Smith ultimately benefited from that decision because the organization was reluctant to go down that path again?  

It is just amazing they cant consistently field an average defense since Monte left.  SMH.

1 minute ago, Lil' Shorty said:

If by some miracle we turn this ship around, mainly due to offensive firepower, and Dirk keeps his job, when exactly does Mike Smith’s contract expire?

We just gave him that extension last year. Can't imagine it's any time soon. Probably 2020 or so.

8 hours ago, bucsfan333 said:

We just gave him that extension last year. Can't imagine it's any time soon. Probably 2020 or so.

Assistant coaches are two year deals mostly. So the question is did they give him a new deal or extension with the pay raise? 

Either this year or next year

1 hour ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Assistant coaches are two year deals mostly. So the question is did they give him a new deal or extension with the pay raise? 

Either this year or next year

Yeah that’s what I was thinking. Hopefully it was 2 years from 2017 off-season...this being his last year under contract.

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Really interesting to watch other football games yesterday, even the supposedly good defenses were sending more then 4 frequently in one half of football.  ? Even CB and safety blitzes were used at times.  They say it is a copy cat league, we 'll see.

Yeah for sure. It’s a passing league. If we could just make some stops and not give everything up underneath, we wouldn’t be far off from a mid level defense. Top offense and average defense is how you win in the NFL these days, especially with how the rules are. The number 15 defense in the league based on Total Yards per game given up is the LAC at 365 total yards. Puts it in perspective.

I also think we’re nlt blitzing for a reason: you’re leaving guys like mj Stewart, Carlton Davis justin Evans and Isaiah Johnson Conte or white head in man coverage. 

Thats not good. Not to say they’re busts but I mean 4 of those guys are rookie/second year guys. 

Just now, REDandPEWTER said:

I also think we’re nlt blitzing for a reason: you’re leaving guys like mj Stewart, Carlton Davis justin Evans and Isaiah Johnson Conte or white head in man coverage. 

Thats not good. 

We play too much zone to switch to man for the blitz.

12 minutes ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Yeah for sure. It’s a passing league. If we could just make some stops and not give everything up underneath, we wouldn’t be far off from a mid level defense. Top offense and average defense is how you win in the NFL these days, especially with how the rules are. The number 15 defense in the league based on Total Yards per game given up is the LAC at 365 total yards. Puts it in perspective.

What baffles me about the communication issue is I dont see a whole lot of Kwon changing the defense presnap.  Very rarely, IIRC.  I m not sure changing who has the head set matters.  So is the secondary supposed to adjust based upon alignment and this is the root of the problem?  At this point, one guy needs to be in charge of audibling the entire defense when needed.  

19 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

What baffles me about the communication issue is I dont see a whole lot of Kwon changing the defense presnap.  Very rarely, IIRC.  I m not sure changing who has the head set matters.  So is the secondary supposed to adjust based upon alignment and this is the root of the problem?  At this point, one guy needs to be in charge of audibling the entire defense when needed.  

tOSU slides their coverages all the time. And you can see multiple guys pointing and yelling for every motion.

We don't have to do anything as simplistic and obvious. But if a college team can figure it out, there's no reason we can't.

38 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

tOSU slides their coverages all the time. And you can see multiple guys pointing and yelling for every motion.

We don't have to do anything as simplistic and obvious. But if a college team can figure it out, there's no reason we can't.

I guess the optimist is coming out of me again, but I just can't believe Koetter won't do something with the defense other then make some personnel decisions.  I have to believe him giving up play calling to focus more on being a head coach means the defense is not off limits.  At this point, he is absolutely correct Winston will out last him, mainly because there is a better chance that Winston at least plays to the level of last season then the defense improving to mediocrity.  I find it hard to believe Koetter goes down with the ship then changing one or two starters in the secondary and play passive zone with a 4 man rush exclusively.  

Archived