Fire Mike Smith Now

BucsDraftGeek47

I’m honestly just at a loss. We have a DC who sees Turbisky has a 9% QBR against the blitz and doesn’t blitz. Our DC plays such a simplistic scheme that opposing offenses set franchise records against us. Our HC can’t seem to sack up and do something about it. We have one of the most talented offenses on paper and couldn’t score all day (granted a really good Chicago D and weird QB situation). WTF is going on with our RB situation and these personnel decisions that keep giving Quizz Rodgers meaningful touches in the game. 

Honestly, just wtf.

How we come out week 6 against a good falcons offense will be all I need to know with how the rest of the season is going to go. I really really hope we don’t have to scrap the coaching staff after this year but we have talent so maybe it would be a quick turnaround. Week 1 to week 4. Just astonishing. 

Mike Smith has to go. The scheme is stale and you have to ruffle feathers to get players attention sometimes.

With that said, I don't expect much improvement. The secondary is horrid and we're not gonna be able to fix that until the offseason.

I fully expect us to have a major overhaul there, like we did on the DL this past offseason.

6 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

I’m honestly just at a loss. We have a DC who sees Turbisky has a 9% QBR against the blitz and doesn’t blitz. Our DC plays such a simplistic scheme that opposing offenses set franchise records against us. Our HC can’t seem to sack up and do something about it. We have one of the most talented offenses on paper and couldn’t score all day (granted a really good Chicago D and weird QB situation). WTF is going on with our RB situation and these personnel decisions that keep giving Quizz Rodgers meaningful touches in the game. 

Honestly, just wtf.

How we come out week 6 against a good falcons offense will be all I need to know with how the rest of the season is going to go. I really really hope we don’t have to scrap the coaching staff after this year but we have talent so maybe it would be a quick turnaround. Week 1 to week 4. Just astonishing. 

Sometimes it’s not about having talent. There’s a ton of talent in the nfl that flop out. 

My questioning is are we drafting low football iq players? Something licht has stated he looks for intelligent guys. But Noah Spence, kwon and Ro Jo don’t seem to fit the bill. I mean I see a lot of blown coverages and missed assignments. 

Is it scheme or is kwon making the wrong calls? Idk but there are times I see confusion and you can’t blame that all on coaching if guys can’t pick it up. 

7 hours ago, Lil' Shorty said:

Honestly, just wtf.

That's Total QBR and Total QBR is a joke his actual QBR against the blitz is 81.3 which isnt superb but it's not what ESPN's joke metric is.

It’s time for him to go.

Theres still communication issues in year 3 of this defence. That’s inexcusable.

As a coach, you either modify the system to fit the players you have, or you bin those players and find the ones who will work in your system. Smith has done neither.

We’ve thrown a lot of picks at the defence in the time he’s been here. In the last 3 drafts we’ve taken 6 DBs in the first four rounds. We’ve drafted 2 linemen, traded for another and spent another third rounder on an LB. That’s before we even consider free agents.

Can we honestly say that the defence is better (or even at the same level) now compared to when Smith took over? Have any of the defenders we’ve drafted actually developed significantly? The odds of drafting this much talent and it all busting must be pretty remote, so you have to look at coaching. 

Koetter is coaching for his job this year. He either fires Smith now and gives himself a chance at a good record, or he continues doing the same thing while expecting  different results. If he does the latter, he’ll be clearing out his office come January.

3 hours ago, Superman(DH23) said:

That's Total QBR and Total QBR is a joke his actual QBR against the blitz is 81.3 which isnt superb but it's not what ESPN's joke metric is.

That's great you are sticking up for Trubisky but that wasn't the point to bash Trubisky the point of the reply was to show how inept the coaching staff is...

Trubisky struggled with Blitzes no matter what QB rating you use and we did not blitz the whole first half which was a mistake or something somehow overlooked when game planning for the Chicago offense.  

I just find it hard to see that many players out of position its like they didn't look at the film to gameplan for what Chicago did...   or did Chicago just completely change everything their offense did to confuse the Tampa defense :ph34r:

1 minute ago, sryan66611 said:

or did Chicago just completely change everything their offense did to confuse the Tampa defense :ph34r:

Nagy said he knew what we were gonna do with our coverages. And he was right once the game started.

We didn't do anything to switch things up once we started getting picked apart.

1 minute ago, bucsfan333 said:

Nagy said he knew what we were gonna do with our coverages. And he was right once the game started.

We didn't do anything to switch things up once we started getting picked apart.

Yep... I know some people say our players aren't good but they have been playing football most their life so I find it hard that they just magically got stupid and forgot their assignments

A few real quick points.  Who says that Jones or Kwon aren't smart enough to get the playbook, unless you're there seems like a pretty dumb statement. Koetter has shown that he is slow to push RB's into a position to play.  Look how long it took him to realize that Barber was a better option than Martin.

When it comes to Kwon, do you know the rules to Mike Smith's scheme and whether or not Kwon is following those or not? Now i'm not saying that there isn't execution issues, there are but Smith's scheme can be part of the issue. While Mike isn't the one making the tackles or blowing an assignment, this level of bad isn't just that it's being predictable and that is on him.  I know most will flake it off because it came from Johnthan Banks but he has even came out and said that "Tampa got good players on D Mike scheme just suck". 

To me this is just another glaring mark towards that this older generation of coach that can't see how to utilize the players talents versus a stubborn my scheme is the only way. This is what makes coaches like McVay and Shanahan so great.  They start with who they have and scheme to get the best out of what they have, not trying to fit a square peg in a round hole.  There is none of this give me 3 years to get the players to run the system crap we have been going through. 

Also, this whole revisionist style of looking at drafts kills me.  We act like we were the only team to pass on these great players. Take Ngakoue as an example. Here's all just the "DE" that were selected before him that have played below him.

Shaq Lawson 1.19

Emmanuel Ogbah 2.32

Noah Spence 2.39

Jihad Ward 2.44

Carl Nassib 3.65

Every draft people do this and it's pointless.  I get the Kicker hate, that I didn't get either but Spence has the talent and I would be willing to bet that if he was in the Steelers scheme he would thrive.  

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Koetter is such a stupid muel. Well hopefully a good young coach can come in here and actually get something out of all this talent, especially on the offensive side of the ball. I bet a new coach would give Jameis 1 year and then depending on how that goes would determine his future with the team.

Im so jealous of Sean McVay. Perfect example (granted their defense is wayyyy better talent wise than ours) but young offensive mind that comes in and adapts to today’s NFL then gets a strong vet defensive coach who actually plays to his players strengths. One can hope. What a depressing season....again.

Archived