Fire Mike Smith Now

BucsDraftGeek47

Now that Koetter s decision has been made on Smith, I 've been thinking what needs to change, as compared to what is probably actually going to happen over the next 12 games.  I am not going to sit and watch and have this "told you so" attitude.  For me, it s a waste of time and energy.

I look at this debacle as a spectrum.  On one end, there is Mike Smith is completely over his head and has lost his mojo.  It happens to coaches, see Lovie Smith and Monte Kiffin.   On the other end, this roster is the least talented and/or dumbest in the league.  The old say in "the truth is somewhere in the middle".

Koetter/Licht know this year is make or break.  I think we can all agree they are not that dumb.  To Licht s credit in the off-season he put a lot of resources to improving the dline.  Give Koetter credit he gave up play calling on offense to better the team.  I just can't believe either will sign off allowing Smith to continuously rush 4 and play passive zone.

They have gotten killed for over 2 overs with wheel routes and bunch formation.  My hope is we see more man coverage concepts. The only guy in the secondary who is better at zone is the oldest and is playing like crap anyway.   Instead of letting these young guys try to figure out when to pass of a receiver and when to stay on him.  The dreaded communication issue.  I would bench MJ Stewart.  He looks over whelmed in the slot for now,  try Elliott not going to make it worse.  I use Evans a lot in single high safety and let Whitehead play more of a SS role.  He s a rookie, play to his strengths.  I would rather dedicate Vea s snaps to nickel package.  I can use his best asset right with his strength and athleticism to keep QBs from stepping up.  It s a passing league, give me Vea s 25 snaps when teams are in 3 or 4 WRs sets.  Let Gholston or Allen clog the middle when offenses are in base personnel.

Finally the offense needs to be top 10 in TOP.  Keep the defense off the field.  All the bombs in the first 2 weeks were great, but led to more snaps for the defense.  Shorten the game,

1 hour ago, ravishingone said:

Now that Koetter s decision has been made on Smith, I 've been thinking what needs to change, as compared to what is probably actually going to happen over the next 12 games.  I am not going to sit and watch and have this "told you so" attitude.  For me, it s a waste of time and energy.

I look at this debacle as a spectrum.  On one end, there is Mike Smith is completely over his head and has lost his mojo.  It happens to coaches, see Lovie Smith and Monte Kiffin.   On the other end, this roster is the least talented and/or dumbest in the league.  The old say in "the truth is somewhere in the middle".

Koetter/Licht know this year is make or break.  I think we can all agree they are not that dumb.  To Licht s credit in the off-season he put a lot of resources to improving the dline.  Give Koetter credit he gave up play calling on offense to better the team.  I just can't believe either will sign off allowing Smith to continuously rush 4 and play passive zone.

They have gotten killed for over 2 overs with wheel routes and bunch formation.  My hope is we see more man coverage concepts. The only guy in the secondary who is better at zone is the oldest and is playing like crap anyway.   Instead of letting these young guys try to figure out when to pass of a receiver and when to stay on him.  The dreaded communication issue.  I would bench MJ Stewart.  He looks over whelmed in the slot for now,  try Elliott not going to make it worse.  I use Evans a lot in single high safety and let Whitehead play more of a SS role.  He s a rookie, play to his strengths.  I would rather dedicate Vea s snaps to nickel package.  I can use his best asset right with his strength and athleticism to keep QBs from stepping up.  It s a passing league, give me Vea s 25 snaps when teams are in 3 or 4 WRs sets.  Let Gholston or Allen clog the middle when offenses are in base personnel.

Finally the offense needs to be top 10 in TOP.  Keep the defense off the field.  All the bombs in the first 2 weeks were great, but led to more snaps for the defense.  Shorten the game,

agree but the only problem is how are you going to get TOP w/o a running game?  Do they just dink and dunk it ?

1 hour ago, sryan66611 said:

agree but the only problem is how are you going to get TOP w/o a running game?  Do they just dink and dunk it ?

For me, it s not necessarily more attempts, but what personnel grouping is mainly being used.  When they try to go heavy personnel or a FB, yards have been tough.  3 Wrs with a TE  much better.  Stop with the revolving door at RG.  Benenoch much like Pamphile isn't getting the job done.  

As much as the first 2 weeks of the season were fun, that passing output is simply unsustainable.  13 yds/attempt no offense can maintain for very long.  Even the 3rd game with 8 yds/attempt is really good.  Luckily, as long as the WR core stays relatively healthy the intermediate and shorter throws should be open.  Finally, I am not a Rodgers fan.  Sorry I 'll give up some pass blocking for actual running ability.  Koetter has a history of not trusting rookie RBs, maybe his stance will change considering he has 12 games to save his head coaching career.

Licht put a ton of resources to improve the dline but are they all the right moves? jPp was a good move but he might be at the end of prime. Curry is a rotational guy who’s better against the run. 

Mccoy is not an elite defender. Sorry to say but he’s good not great. 

I haven’t seen consistent pressure but I’ve seen improvement up front. 

The OL looked great weeks 1 and 2 then it just flopped the last two years in pass protection. 

21 hours ago, REDandPEWTER said:

Licht put a ton of resources to improve the dline but are they all the right moves? jPp was a good move but he might be at the end of prime. Curry is a rotational guy who’s better against the run. 

Mccoy is not an elite defender. Sorry to say but he’s good not great. 

I haven’t seen consistent pressure but I’ve seen improvement up front. 

The OL looked great weeks 1 and 2 then it just flopped the last two years in pass protection. 

I agree...   The D line the resources he used he had no other way there wasn't much out there IIRC.   So I think he did the right thing as he needed immediate improvement and couldn't just rely on a rookie in the later rounds.  I do think they should have took a flyer on one of the late round guys though just because all the people he brought in are old.  

I also agree McCoy isn't elite anymore He had a few elite seasons but he isn't that anymore.  He still has a couple of elite plays at times but it seems he is not consistent at all.  I see him get blocked 1 vs. 1 by average guards all the time.

Listening to first things first. Nick wright and cris carter brought up valid points to Richard Sherman’s comments. 

Its very difficult to cover receivers today. It’s geared toward spread attacks and you can’t really hit the qb anymore. You can’t bump and run receivers. 

9 qbs are on pace for 5k yards with more than half the league on track for 4K. 

I watched our secondary week 2 we played well and second half of week three. There’s too many mental lapses and then there’s play. But the potential is there. If we think we’re going to be a defense that surrenders less than 300 yards heck 320 yards in the air we’re crazy. 

The way offenses are today wirh the adaptation of college spread concepts, we have to show multiple looks and guys need to be able to adapt to it. 

There are 27 teams giving up less than 300 yards through the air per game. And 14 are on pace to give up less than 4,000 (250 per game) for the season. That's almost half the league.

Jacksonville and Detroit have both also played four games. They've given up less than half the passing yards we have.

Saying it's not possible to be A LOT better than we have been so far is wrong.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

There are 27 teams giving up less than 300 yards through the air per game. And 14 are on pace to give up less than 4,000 (250 per game) for the season. That's almost half the league.

Jacksonville and Detroit have both also played four games. They've given up less than half the passing yards we have.

Saying it's not possible to be A LOT better than we have been so far is wrong.

I definitely agree with you but Detroit I am pretty sure have the league's worst run defense so that could be a reason why.   Point still stands there is still defense to be played.

Archived