What happened to the Falcons defense?

freeman+coleman

The irony is the Falcons entered the regular season with nobody on IR. They were the only team that was like that. As soon as the season started, players started to get hurt and placed on IR. I do agree though, injuries crippled the Falcons. They cant stop a cold. They went from a team who has Superbowl aspirations to now they just hope to make the playoffs. Right now they are 1-3 and now is in last place in the NFC South. They have a big hill to climb. We will see if they can dig themselves out of this hole. My guess is they wont but we shall see.

20 minutes ago, stl4life07 said:

The irony is the Falcons entered the regular season with nobody on IR. They were the only team that was like that. As soon as the season started, players started to get hurt and placed on IR. I do agree though, injuries crippled the Falcons. They cant stop a cold. They went from a team who has Superbowl aspirations to now they just hope to make the playoffs. Right now they are 1-3 and is no last place in the NFC South. They have a big hill to climb. We will see if they can dig themselves out of this hole. My guess is they wont but we shall see.

Its impossible at this point.  I mean, when you are banged up as bad as the Falcons defense is you HAVE to have smart coaching and play calling to at least slow down the opposing teams, but DQ just keeps running the same 3 deep zone that gets torched every single time they use it.  That last drive today featured Burton on the same exact shallow crossing pattern that the Bengals ran like 6 times and the Falcons never did anything different.  They switched to man coverage at half and held the Bengals to 3 points the whole second half (after getting torched in zone for 28 points in the first half).  So what does Dan do on the final, critical drive of the game???  He predictably goes BACK to that stupid zone that killed them in the first half and the Bengals just threw it right down their throats to win the game.  I just don't understand this coaching staff at all...

1 minute ago, megatechpc said:

Its impossible at this point.  I mean, when you are banged up as bad as the Falcons defense is you HAVE to have smart coaching and play calling to at least slow down the opposing teams, but DQ just keeps running the same 3 deep zone that gets torched every single time they use it.  That last drive today featured Burton on the same exact shallow crossing pattern that the Bengals ran like 6 times and the Falcons never did anything different.  They switched to man coverage at half and held the Bengals to 3 points the whole second half (after getting torched in zone for 28 points in the first half).  So what does Dan do on the final, critical drive of the game???  He predictably goes BACK to that stupid zone that killed them in the first half and the Bengals just threw it right down their throats to win the game.  I just don't understand this coaching staff at all...

I totally agree. At the end of the day though there are only so much you can do with a defense that is hurting. It comes down to if you got the horses to just make plays. The Falcons made some stops and go pressure on Dalton in the game but they just couldnt make one more stop to help win the game. 

Yeah you're right, I'm just in my pissy "post-yet-another-4th-quarter-choke-job" mood right now.  The positives are definitely there.  Matt Ryan has played out of his mind.  Calvin Ridley could be a legit successor to Julio.  Tevin and Ito Smith look really good with Freeman out.  Hooper transitioning nicely into a good receiving TE.  The RZ scoring issue seems to have been fixed.  Takk McKinley had 3 sacks and Beasley got good pressure too.  Kazee can fill in for Allen (but there is no answer for the loss of Deion Jones or Keanu Neal).  It was a game that they should've won despite everything, but I just don't think DQ will ever be that coach to lead us to the Promised Land.  

15 hours ago, iknowcool said:

The real question is what happened to Desmond Trufant?  I could have sworn dude was one of the better CBs at one point.  Now he’s awful.

He's been struggling big time this year no doubt.  Trufant has never been a big INT guy but in all the years I've watched him play he's always been in the receiver's hip pocket to the point where QB's would rarely even target his guy.  This year though I have seen multiple times a large gap between him and his man.  I think the larger overall problem for him and this defense (besides the crippling injuries of course) is that they are just playing way too much conservative zone coverages.  Just jam the receivers up at the line in tight man coverage and let it fly with your two best defenders you have left (Alford and Trufant).  The risk of course is giving up a long TD but what difference does it make if you know you're going to be in shootouts regardless?  Sitting back in deep zones while guys like Dalton just pick up easy 10-15 yard completions right down the field on you doesn't really accomplish much of anything other than forcing them to take a little more time to do it.  At least if you are in tight man coverage there is the chance you can get off the field in 3 plays if you DON'T give up that big play downfield.  And if you DO give up that HR pass, at least you can get the ball back in Matt Ryan's hands with a chance to score the last points rather than watching them bleed it all the way down and score with double-zeros on the clock...

1 minute ago, freeman+coleman said:

Grady Jarrett now injured!

We are in serious trouble now. 

Good God the hits keep coming.  The amount of attrition for the Falcons this season in just 4 games has been staggering.  But its not really like the defense can get any worse.

Yikes they have been struggling this year. Injuries or not (EVERY team has to deal with them), they have been absolutely atrocious. At first I was giving them the benefit of the doubt as they played some real top notch teams like the Saints, Eagles, and even the Bengals have been solid, but after losing 41 to 17 against a struggling Pittsburgh Steelers team (currently tied with the Browns for last place in their division), it appears the Falcons are in a full downward spiral. Now sitting 3 games out of 1st place in the NFC South. 

41 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yikes they have been struggling this year. Injuries or not (EVERY team has to deal with them), they have been absolutely atrocious. At first I was giving them the benefit of the doubt as they played some real top notch teams like the Saints, Eagles, and even the Bengals have been solid, but after losing 41 to 17 against a struggling Pittsburgh Steelers team (currently tied with the Browns for last place in their division), it appears the Falcons are in a full downward spiral. Now sitting 3 games out of 1st place in the NFC South. 

yup... theyve been absolutely awful. weird to give a defense the benefit of the doubt that lost 4 of their top 5 players to injury, and that 5th guy has been in and out the last couple games. theyre atrocious this year and will have to outscore everybody. what makes it worse is that the one good player left they have healthy (trufant)  has been poor to average this year... like lattimore he really needs to pick up his play.

11 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

yup... theyve been absolutely awful. weird to give a defense the benefit of the doubt that lost 4 of their top 5 players to injury, and that 5th guy has been in and out the last couple games. theyre atrocious this year and will have to outscore everybody. what makes it worse is that the one good player left they have healthy (trufant)  has been poor to average this year... like lattimore he really needs to pick up his play.

Yeah they really have sucked. Even worse is their offense couldn't put up 20 points against a mediocre at best defense against the Steelers. Yeah I definitely gave them the benefit of the doubt since I kept hearing they were "Super Bowl Contenders" going into the year, but apparently have no depth, which most good teams have. In other words all I'm hearing is blah blah blah...injuries, it's not fair, blah blah blah. 

29 minutes ago, tyler735 said:

Yeah they really have sucked. Even worse is their offense couldn't put up 20 points against a mediocre at best defense against the Steelers. Yeah I definitely gave them the benefit of the doubt since I kept hearing they were "Super Bowl Contenders" going into the year, but apparently have no depth, which most good teams have. In other words all I'm hearing is blah blah blah...injuries, it's not fair, blah blah blah. 

no one saying its not fair, injuries happen. it sucks but eventually every team goes through it. who tild you teams have unlimited depth and can replace good players at will?  thtas just silly and not the reality of the nfl. not really worried about the offense for one game, sample size exists for a reason.

3 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

no one saying its not fair, injuries happen. it sucks but eventually every team goes through it. who tild you teams have unlimited depth and can replace good players at will?  thtas just silly and not the reality of the nfl. not really worried about the offense for one game, sample size exists for a reason.

Every team deals with injuries, the good ones get through it. I've seen first hand this past season how injuries can play a role the Saints lost Nick Fairley right before the season, who was coming off a career year in 2016. We also lost Kenny Vaccaro for about 5 games last year who was a key piece for our defense. We also lost Alex Okafor who was our 2nd best pass rusher when he was injured having what looked to be a career year. We also lost AJ Klein for several games along with Alex Anzalone, which took 2 more guys that were starters off the field. Despite losing some key pieces, we had no issue getting to the playoffs and maintaining a winning record literally missing the NFC Championship by one fluke play. So to see the Falcons playing this poorly with a few injuries just shows that simply aren't nearly as good as people had been touting them to be.

Archived