Other coaching news

Lil' Shorty

7 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Franchise him. Draft one of the OTs at five to play RT. If D Smith sucks, slide Williams or whoever over to LT and repeat the process next year. If D Smith steps up, we've got our OTs for the next decade.

I just don t think it is a given he comes back to play LT.  Franchise money for a RT is steep, but all the holes can t be filled at once.  If Jonah is the pick ar 5, I have zero interest in him starting on the right side and hoping Smith figures it out on the left side.  IMO, they invest the 5th pick on a tackle, he plays left side right away.  Smith s greatest attribute has been durability.  Out of all the younger guys, his play has shown to have really plateaued.  His play doesn t warrant his position to be held foe a fifth overall selectuon.

14 minutes ago, ravishingone said:

I just don t think it is a given he comes back to play LT.  Franchise money for a RT is steep, but all the holes can t be filled at once.  If Jonah is the pick ar 5, I have zero interest in him starting on the right side and hoping Smith figures it out on the left side.  IMO, they invest the 5th pick on a tackle, he plays left side right away.  Smith s greatest attribute has been durability.  Out of all the younger guys, his play has shown to have really plateaued.  His play doesn t warrant his position to be held foe a fifth overall selectuon.

Both tackle spots are important. Everyone has multiple edge rushers. Both OT spots were bad last year. We can fix one side and at least maintain decent on the other side.

I doubt Licht is gonna give up on Smith anyway.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

Both tackle spots are important. Everyone has multiple edge rushers. Both OT spots were bad last year. We can fix one side and at least maintain decent on the other side.

Last team that invested a pick near that high for a RT was the Eagles with Johnson.  The difference, Peters is a HOF LT.  The organization leaked frustration over his play during the season.

I m very confident Arians outlined his plan for the oline yesterday.  It would have been negligent not to ask that question.  Looking forward to how it plays out.

5 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

i think that our OLine problems are more along the lines of run blocking, i know pass pro is important but even with time Jameis decisions are questionable plus his ability to escape pressure is uncanny (probably his best quality)

If we draft Jonah Williams at 5 he’s the LT. Don Smith may be better suited for RT. Frankly he may be better suited for the bench but I agree Licht will most likely not give up on him this year with limited other options.

Thing is you have to decide to franchise Smith or let him walk a good 2 months before the draft. If Jonah is available and we draft him to play LT after franchising Smith, does Smith pull a Grimes and piss and moan and play like trash? I could see him doing it.  

Bottom line if it was me just let the guy walk. We don’t need mentally weak and lazy players on this team. My only hope if he is kept is that a new OL coach can get more out of him, but I hope we don’t fool ourselves on what he really is if we franchise him and get a decent season out of him.

4 hours ago, BucsDraftGeek47 said:

i think that our OLine problems are more along the lines of run blocking, i know pass pro is important but even with time Jameis decisions are questionable plus his ability to escape pressure is uncanny (probably his best quality)

Jameis was a better QB under pressure and when he scrambled than when he had a clean pocket. That screams more playcalling/scheme to me than anything else.

He's at his best when he gets to do his thing.

I don't think Licht lets Smith go and I doubt he moves him to RT. That was his pick. And though Licht has been quick to move on from bad decisions, I honestly don't think Smith is viewed as such.

Dot is old. He struggles to stay healthy and his play has been up and down; trending downward. I'd be all for giving a guy like Wester a shot to take over at RT. And I hope we add a draft pick to fight for it as well.

1 hour ago, bucsfan333 said:

I don't think Licht lets Smith go and I doubt he moves him to RT. That was his pick. And though Licht has been quick to move on from bad decisions, I honestly don't think Smith is viewed as such.

Dot is old. He struggles to stay healthy and his play has been up and down; trending downward. I'd be all for giving a guy like Wester a shot to take over at RT. And I hope we add a draft pick to fight for it as well.

I think we can all agree Arians will have control over the roster.  He respects Licht, but if he wants D Smith playing RT, he is playing RT.  I have wanted Jameis under a new coach to fulfill his potential.  Jameis has the physical ability to play his position at an elite level.  One could make an argument for Donovan.  My concern with him is it just might be lack of athleticism.  He just looks like his feet get stuck in cement.  He has everything else, but agility in a LT , I don t know how that is over come.  I can t call Donovan lazy because the guy doesn't miss a snap.  He is a warrior.  Maybe he has to change his conditioning, I don t know.  If his slow feet is just his God given ability, he should not be the starting LT next season.  Curious how Arians addresses his LT, "Touchdown to checkdown" is still vertical based offense.

Archived