2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

2 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

There's no reason for the Yankees position on Machado to be changed at all...other than perhaps as a safety net if they don't get Machado.  Also if he has anything left in the tank he can be flipped at the deadline.

Machado is a done deal anyway, this is unrelated as you say

14 hours ago, mission27 said:

Machado is a done deal anyway, this is unrelated as you say

Done deal with the NYY? I'm not so sure about that, but if.......

From the NY Post:

".....that’s what the Yankees told Tulowitzki before he agreed to a deal to come to The Bronx in a move that presents little risk, as the Yankees only will owe him the veteran’s minimum of $550,000, with the rest of his $20 million salary being paid by Toronto. The Yankees need a shortstop for likely half the season, if not more, as Didi Gregorius recovers from Tommy John surgery. Should the Yankees also get a deal done with Machado — which remains no sure thing, with the Phillies and White Sox still very much in the mix — Machado would play third, with Tulowitzki at short. What that would mean for the future of Miguel Andujar remains to be seen, but Andujar’s situation would be up in the air with Machado in pinstripes once Gregorius returns. The defensively challenged Andujar could be bumped to first base, where the Yankees only have Luke Voit — still unproven despite his stunning emergence late last season after a trade from St. Louis — and Greg Bird, who hasn’t shown he can stay healthy or productive"

All I know is the NYY better not give up on Andujar. The kid can hit the ball. If it takes daily cracking ground balls at him to up his defense - do it. He's under team control for five years - and did I mention he can hit the cover off the ball? You dont walk away (or trade) such talent.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Done deal with the NYY? I'm not so sure about that, but if.......

From the NY Post:

".....that’s what the Yankees told Tulowitzki before he agreed to a deal to come to The Bronx in a move that presents little risk, as the Yankees only will owe him the veteran’s minimum of $550,000, with the rest of his $20 million salary being paid by Toronto. The Yankees need a shortstop for likely half the season, if not more, as Didi Gregorius recovers from Tommy John surgery. Should the Yankees also get a deal done with Machado — which remains no sure thing, with the Phillies and White Sox still very much in the mix — Machado would play third, with Tulowitzki at short. What that would mean for the future of Miguel Andujar remains to be seen, but Andujar’s situation would be up in the air with Machado in pinstripes once Gregorius returns. The defensively challenged Andujar could be bumped to first base, where the Yankees only have Luke Voit — still unproven despite his stunning emergence late last season after a trade from St. Louis — and Greg Bird, who hasn’t shown he can stay healthy or productive"

All I know is the NYY better not give up on Andujar. The kid can hit the ball. If it takes daily cracking ground balls at him to up his defense - do it. He's under team control for five years - and did I mention he can hit the cover off the ball? You dont walk away (or trade) such talent.

Andujar, Tulo or Voit won't have any impact on the signing of Machado.  Also no reason for the Yankees to keep Tulo on the team if he's not any good.

2 hours ago, GmenSeattle said:

Andujar, Tulo or Voit won't have any impact on the signing of Machado.  Also no reason for the Yankees to keep Tulo on the team if he's not any good.

This is true. I was just going on regards Andujar. The guy almost won Rookie of the Year and all anybody talks about is his defense. Yeah - its not pretty at times - so - coaches? Do some coaching. Make him good. Thats all we need. Good.

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

This is true. I was just going on regards Andujar. The guy almost won Rookie of the Year and all anybody talks about is his defense. Yeah - its not pretty at times - so - coaches? Do some coaching. Make him good. Thats all we need. Good.

Yea...but to put my George hat on I want to say sign Harper and Machado, trade Andujar and whatever else it takes to land an ace (preferably with a few years of control) and then win a few titles. :D

5 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

Yea...but to put my George hat on I want to say sign Harper and Machado, trade Andujar and whatever else it takes to land an ace (preferably with a few years of control) and then win a few titles. :D

Well George.....glad your days are done! LOL
No way we can sign Stanton, Machado AND Harper - presumably to extended (8-10 year?) contracts - and field a viable roster.
Plus during that time....pay AJ, Sanchez.....and the bat boy! :)

But - if we could trade that bat boy for an ace starter.......we might be on to something.

49 minutes ago, Leader said:

Well George.....glad your days are done! LOL
No way we can sign Stanton, Machado AND Harper - presumably to extended (8-10 year?) contracts - and field a viable roster.
Plus during that time....pay AJ, Sanchez.....and the bat boy! :)

But - if we could trade that bat boy for an ace starter.......we might be on to something.

Why can't they sign all three?  Money?  Oh please.  They made over $600 million in 2017.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193645/revenue-of-major-league-baseball-teams-in-2010/

1 hour ago, GmenSeattle said:

Why can't they sign all three?  Money?  Oh please.  They made over $600 million in 2017.

No. I've no concerns the organization is going to go bankrupt. But within the current economic constraints of baseball and as supported by past years when the NYY bought up what was perceived to be the "next best thing" - you cant concentrate your resources into a few roster spots - field (read: pay for) a bunch of filler talent - and succeed long term.

Years past - when George was just buying anything he could - it was great for the business and headlines - which is also good for business.
But the farm system became an afterthought and was left to die on the vine. Young talent stood better chance of being traded away to secure some middle to later stage veteran - who cost more overall and had limited time left.

Take a team like Tampa. Small. No fan base. No cable TV deal (of any consequence at least) - nothing but nothing going for them economically. So they have to rely on good baseball people eyeballing and coaching up young talent. Now - even that is challenged as those good baseball people get bought out by the larger more financially deep organizations - but they keep chugging along. They deserve a certain amount of respect for that.

Make no mistake - I'm not saying (or even implying) the NYY should go cheap. Wont happen. Will never happen. But being prudent with your purchases and insuring the proper mix and "flow" of younger talent into the roster.....I think that the better way to go.

Can the NYY afford Stanton, Machado, Harper.....and whomever else? Sure. Will ultimately pay a fortune in luxury taxes - but they wont go under, will certainly get headlines and be worth watching. Is that the best business model though? Is that the best organizational structure / purpose? Thats questionable - and we've got the high spending history to prove it. Perhaps moreso than any other club.

So for whatever reason,  I started reading Ricky Henderson's wiki page. Apparently, he  coached first base for a while. Can you imagine the conversations he had with his players?

Player: Oh hey Coach, what's the -

Ricky: Go

Player: Like what pitch do you thi-

Ricky: Just go

Player: What's the sign for steal?

Ricky: When I'm breathing

Player: What happens when I get to second?

Ricky: Look for the steal sign

What I don't understand is why teams don't balance the big deals.  Why is it $30 mil/year for 10 years?  Why not...50/50/45/45/40/35/30/25/20/10?  Pay them more when they're playing better, pay them less later on when they won't be producing at the same level.  /shrug

18 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

What I don't understand is why teams don't balance the big deals.  Why is it $30 mil/year for 10 years?  Why not...50/50/45/45/40/35/30/25/20/10?  Pay them more when they're playing better, pay them less later on when they won't be producing at the same level.  /shrug

They usually do.  The Cubs paid Jon Lester a big signing bonus up front and higher salaries the first couple years.  But for luxury tax purposes the money is averaged over the life of the contract.

Archived