2018 MLB Hot Stove Thread

Eagles27

15 hours ago, Leader said:

And the players will get paid. Thats not a concern in any way. A strike isnt going to happen. MLB is *far from* suffering from labor strife.

How so?  Big name players get paid big, but the middle of the road guys have a hard time finding work and the young guys get kept down longer than they should for money reasons.  The players have plenty to be upset about IMO.

10 minutes ago, GmenSeattle said:

How so?  Big name players get paid big, but the middle of the road guys have a hard time finding work and the young guys get kept down longer than they should for money reasons.  The players have plenty to be upset about IMO.

So - you have any suggestions on how the system should be different?

30 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Is baseball the only major sport where the best players have trouble signing because they’re too good? Now that the Yankees are operating like the A’s, the sport is ****ed. its time to get a real union leader and strike for half a season

2018 Total Payrolls:

1. Red Sox - $227,398.00
6. Yankees - $180,098.00
28. Athletics - $80,315.00

If I'm not mistaken, 2018 was the first time the NYY hadnt exceeded the cap limit and paid a luxury tax since it's inception.
So if the NYY decide its not necessary to continually exceed the cap limit (and pay the tax) to field a competitive team - thats collusion?
I dont see how the NYY are suddenly operating like the A's.

The MLB market has changed. Back in the day the NYY had all the cash. Huge market and cable connections. But those revenue advantages are now in place for many other teams. The competition for players is greater - unless you're willing to vastly overpay - which is a bad business model.

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

2018 Total Payrolls:

1. Red Sox - $227,398.00
6. Yankees - $180,098.00
28. Athletics - $80,315.00

If I'm not mistaken, 2018 was the first time the NYY hadnt exceeded the cap limit and paid a luxury tax since it's inception.
So if the NYY decide its not necessary to continually exceed the cap limit (and pay the tax) to field a competitive team - thats collusion?
I dont see how the NYY are suddenly operating like the A's.

The MLB market has changed. Back in the day the NYY had all the cash. Huge market and cable connections. But those revenue advantages are now in place for many other teams. The competition for players is greater - unless you're willing to vastly overpay - which is a bad business model.

The Yanks’ payroll is at its lowest since the early 2000s even though revenue has skyrocketed. The % of revenue they invest into the team is right on par with the A’s.

I’m more concerned with winning championships than lining the pockets of billionaires in the name of “efficiency.”  If you care more about the Yankees’ profit margins then their win total then sports probably aren’t for you. Please humor me why we are better off sitting under the luxury tax threshold than with Machado and Harper.

Half the league is tanking and the few teams that have money aren’t spending it when we have the best pair of free agents since Bonds/Maddux. “The competition for players is greater”  is downright laughable.

PS Cash’s excuse of not wanting to give other teams free luxury tax overages is utter BS...that revenue sharing money is less than a million dollars per team.

15 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

The Yanks’ payroll is at its lowest since the early 2000s even though revenue has skyrocketed. The % of revenue they invest into the team is right on par with the A’s.

I’m more concerned with winning championships than lining the pockets of billionaires in the name of “efficiency.” Half the league is tanking and the few teams that have money aren’t spending it when we have the best pair of free agents since Bonds/Maddux. The game is broken.

The NYY are based in a huge market - but they're truly a "national" team. Usually in the top two teams in total attendance.
If you're comparing "markets" OAK (and a number of other locations) will never be able to compete with the NYY.

"I’m more concerned with winning championships than lining the pockets of billionaires in the name of “efficiency.”

Thats a silly comment. You act as if they NYY payroll is coming out of your pocket. The money you put into the NYY (or any other teams) pocket is totally discretionary.

Years of the NYY having the largest payroll didnt result in championships. Theres no direct correlation. The Giants, Dodgers, Cubs and Nationals had payrolls #2-5 in 2018. What did they win?

On 1/5/2019 at 12:33 AM, Thelonebillsfan said:

And then the league wonders why it has a marketing problem.

NBA signs it's marquee guys within a week and spends the rest of the off-season doing marketing. Hot Stove being dead is just bad for everybody involved. Nobody makes more money.

Jim Bowden was talking about that right after the winter meetings.  He emphasized having most of the free agent signings complete by that point, and a trade deadline in place that wouldn't be lifted until spring training.  At first I thought that was a crazy idea, but when you put it up against what the NBA and NHL do, where you have the frenzy that lasts for a couple days, it certainly is an idea worth exploring.  

6 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

PS Cash’s excuse of not wanting to give other teams free luxury tax overages is utter BS...that revenue sharing money is less than a million dollars per team.

I didnt hear or read this comment but your characterization of it is.....well, I dont know what it is but I'm sure not how Cashman intended it be perceived.
Money the NYY's pay in luxury tax is divided up and distributed evenly between the teams (as far as I know) - but it all comes out of one pocket however (which is what counts) when its your pocket. Regardless of your profits / revenues - you're entitled to wanting to keep that cash.

Again - I'm not against the NYY exceeding the cap and incurring the penalty - or as someone else suggested - wanting them to operate like the Tampa Bay Rays (or Oakland). Not in the least. The obvious size and scale of their operation and economic footprint insures that will never happen. But I'm not against them running a tight(er) ship. Being judicious with their cash outlays and basing them on an overall game plan - as opposed to buying up all the "stars" that are out there - which in today's MLB economics they cant do anymore - or like the old days at least - because there are more deep pocket operations (read: competition for players) than the old days.

On 1/4/2019 at 4:13 PM, GmenSeattle said:

What I don't understand is why teams don't balance the big deals.  Why is it $30 mil/year for 10 years?  Why not...50/50/45/45/40/35/30/25/20/10?  Pay them more when they're playing better, pay them less later on when they won't be producing at the same level.  /shrug

Went back to find your comment cause I read an article last night that seems to express your thoughts: irregular yearly payments interspersed with player/team options to make the overall BOTH team and player friendly. So good thinking on your part. If the NYY could do something like this - I'd be all for it - but I doubt the players will accede to it as opposed to some extended year / guaranteed contract offered by a deep pocket organization.

Here's link to the article. https://nypost.com/2019/01/05/boras-client-may-show-creative-way-to-reach-harper-machado-deals/

7 hours ago, Leader said:

The NYY are based in a huge market - but they're truly a "national" team. Usually in the top two teams in total attendance.
If you're comparing "markets" OAK (and a number of other locations) will never be able to compete with the NYY.

"I’m more concerned with winning championships than lining the pockets of billionaires in the name of “efficiency.”

Thats a silly comment. You act as if they NYY payroll is coming out of your pocket. The money you put into the NYY (or any other teams) pocket is totally discretionary.

Years of the NYY having the largest payroll didnt result in championships. Theres no direct correlation. The Giants, Dodgers, Cubs and Nationals had payrolls #2-5 in 2018. What did they win?

Convince me that not signing Machado and/or Harper is somehow better for the Yankees’ championship aspirations.

The Red Sox went well over the luxury tax threshold to sign JD Martinez. What did they win?

2 hours ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

Convince me that not signing Machado and/or Harper is somehow better for the Yankees’ championship aspirations.

The Red Sox went well over the luxury tax threshold to sign JD Martinez. What did they win?

LOL Yeah sure. I'll go fetch. You have anything else you'd like me to do? HA! Dont waste my time.

I liked the JD signing. The NYY could have used him in fact. His numbers stand up really well to Stantons - w/o the length of commitment - and all the strikeouts. The RS wont be shelling out millions of dollars to JD when he's 39-40 years old and cant get around on high heat anymore - probably for the last 3-4 years.

Now I know it doesnt matter to you that the NYY are wasting their money that way - and it doesnt put a crimp in either of our wallets (unless we want it to) - but the discussion lies in whether thats good, smart business. YOU prove to me that it is. As I've pointed out in detail, multiple teams had large payrolls. Most of them went nowhere.

The NYY just got under the luxury tax for the first time in YEARS (good) and had their best season in years (good). Because they've reinvested in the farm system. Pulled off trades specifically to enhance that talent base and coaching up that talent rather than using them as trade fodder for older / more expensive veterans with shorter shelf lives.

Thats smart business.

They came up a bit short last year but not for lack of spending. Primarily because they were short on arms (not bats) - played lousy against the bottom feeders in the league (which is on Boone) and were lousy with RISP (cause they were swinging for the fences when a single would get the run in). They didnt win the championship last year but not for lack of spending.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

LOL Yeah sure. I'll go fetch. You have anything else you'd like me to do? HA! Dont waste my time.

I liked the JD signing. The NYY could have used him in fact. His numbers stand up really well to Stantons - w/o the length of commitment - and all the strikeouts. The RS wont be shelling out millions of dollars to JD when he's 39-40 years old and cant get around on high heat anymore - probably for the last 3-4 years.

Now I know it doesnt matter to you that the NYY are wasting their money that way - and it doesnt put a crimp in either of our wallets (unless we want it to) - but the discussion lies in whether thats good, smart business. YOU prove to me that it is. As I've pointed out in detail, multiple teams had large payrolls. Most of them went nowhere.

The NYY just got under the luxury tax for the first time in YEARS (good) and had their best season in years (good). Because they've reinvested in the farm system. Pulled off trades specifically to enhance that talent base and coaching up that talent rather than using them as trade fodder for older / more expensive veterans with shorter shelf lives.

Thats smart business.

They came up a bit short last year but not for lack of spending. Primarily because they were short on arms (not bats) - played lousy against the bottom feeders in the league (which is on Boone) and were lousy with RISP (cause they were swinging for the fences when a single would get the run in). They didnt win the championship last year but not for lack of spending.

This is perhaps the least smug post in the history of Yankees fandom.

Just an FYI, your goal is to win baseball games. Not make the Steinbrenner's money.

Archived