2018 Qbs?

thebestever6

I know it's a year away but say this season ends much like last season and no qb looks like the future what are the best options? Both free agency and the draft?

Free agency some options include Bradford, Bridgewater, Tannehill, Brees.

The draft is harder to guage at this point I read somewhere college footballs crop of qbs is the deepest it has been since 06 07. 

The first two big names don't look plausable what about Jonathon Allen?

I would offer the sun and moon for Sam Darnold. I am talking 3 R1 picks. I think he is just a notch below Luck as a prospect and a franchise changing signal caller. After him I don't see a guy that I would deal picks for really.

Bradford doesn't offer anything more than Siemian IMO. Bridgewater would be a nice reclamation project, but not a guy to sign and hand the starting spot based on his injury. Tannenhill is another guy that I don't trust as a 'hand him the keys' type starting QB. Brees would be fun for a year or two, and seems much more like an 'Elway' move than the others.

Who knows. Its quite early and IMO we all overreacted to a single preseason game. Siemian may continue to build on his bright spots from last year and Paxton may have the light switch on suddenly. This should be a thread reserved for overreaction after a regular season loss w/ poor QB play not a preseason one haha :)

1 hour ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I would offer the sun and moon for Sam Darnold. I am talking 3 R1 picks. I think he is just a notch below Luck as a prospect and a franchise changing signal caller. After him I don't see a guy that I would deal picks for really.

Bradford doesn't offer anything more than Siemian IMO. Bridgewater would be a nice reclamation project, but not a guy to sign and hand the starting spot based on his injury. Tannenhill is another guy that I don't trust as a 'hand him the keys' type starting QB. Brees would be fun for a year or two, and seems much more like an 'Elway' move than the others.

Who knows. Its quite early and IMO we all overreacted to a single preseason game. Siemian may continue to build on his bright spots from last year and Paxton may have the light switch on suddenly. This should be a thread reserved for overreaction after a regular season loss w/ poor QB play not a preseason one haha :)

I agree it's not necessarily overeaction. Just wanted some college qbs to watch outside the top 3 as well as pro players.

There are some potential big name QBs that could conceivably become available in free agency next year. The names mentioned are Matt Stafford and Kirk Cousins. I'm not sure either will leave, but given how dysfunctional Washington is I could see Cousins looking elsewhere. The most likely landing spot for him, however, I would guess to be San Francisco where he could reunite with Kyle Shanahan. However, coming here to a ready-made contender could have a lot of appeal as well. Stafford I'm less confident leaves unless Detroit has a awful year and they decide to just blow the whole thing up and start over. 

The problem with 2018 is we don't have the ammo vs the top 4 teams who will likely hunt for QB.  

Det has 50M+ and Stafford only costs 16M in 2017.  The franchise tag will be a no brainer for DET to exercise if they can't figure out an extension it will be in the 20-25M range they can easily afford.   So I'm not counting either DET or Stafford. 

The 4 teams that have us massively outgunned are CLE NYJ SF and BUF.  

CLE BUF SF and NYJ all seem locks for top 5-10 picks in Rd 1.   Some of them are trying real hard to be 1.1.  None of them would trade the pick for 3 1st rounders if they are mid round or later.   And they all have a ton of cap space - 50-65M for 2018 (BUF gets to 50M if they cut Taylor they save 10M to their 40M cap space).  

Then add that CLE has 2 1sts 3 2nds and 3 3rds, while BUF has 2 1sts, 2 2nds and 2 3rds.   Darnold is a pipe dream.   We aren't just outgunned we are massively outgunned.   We won't be picking in the top 10 and we have only 15-20M at best in cap space   

Then re: Cousins one of those 4 teams won't get Darnold/Rosen/Allen, but will pay for Cousins.   Again we are massively outgunned.  SF seems like the call.

MIN will keep 1 of Bradford / Bridgewater. Given his risk I'd guess Bridgewater goes.

Brees and Tannehill are still under contract BTW - Tannehill doesn't have much dead money but Brees carries 18m in dead money for 2018.   He's not going anywhere.  

Add it all up there is unlikely to be an elite QB option for us in 2018.   It's why Siemian/Lynch's development was and is so crucial.    Realistically we can explore a mid to lower tier FA but there are no guarantees in finding a significantly better solution given the increased cost they will require.  

14 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

The Darnold hype is so out of control. I'd be interested in exploring the free agent market a bit or possibly Josh Rosen if he slides out of the top 10. Not even a little bit interested in giving up a haul for Darnold or Allen.

The thing is with QB at such a premium how likely is that?   This was touted as a bad draft class and 3 still went in the top 15.   

I think it's moot regardless because we are so outgunned pick and $ wise but like you said hype is crazy on QB's once the elite label gets attached.   All 3 of the guys mentioned already getting it.  No doubt warts will show up but the guys who went top 15 had much bigger warts.   I'd love for your scenario to be right but QB valuation once you get the franchise QB label is insane. 

I'll tell you what people hate guys being one year in college because they have a high bust rate but that Mitchell TRUEbisky is something special.

Loved his poise and command in the huddle, loved his want too his live arm and he just has that IT factor. Any qbs like that potentially this year?

If Trubisky was on our roster we'd have a shot to goo farrrrr. That guy has it. I hate the one year starting but that guy can throw on the run and do it all.

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

The thing is with QB at such a premium how likely is that?   This was touted as a bad draft class and 3 still went in the top 15.   

I think it's moot regardless because we are so outgunned pick and $ wise but like you said hype is crazy on QB's once the elite label gets attached.   All 3 of the guys mentioned already getting it.  No doubt warts will show up but the guys who went top 15 had much bigger warts.   I'd love for your scenario to be right but QB valuation once you get the franchise QB label is insane. 

If teams are really doing their homework on Rosen, he won't be picked outside the top 5. Character concerns are waaaaay overblown and his bad decision making on the field isn't Cutler-esque where the football IQ questions really come into play, he reads the field well and knows the right plays to make at the right time, but he also has exhibited a selfish streak where he wants to take chances on plays he clearly knows are almost impossible just to test his limits and see what he's capable of. I'm less concerned about the gunslinger types who are fully aware of the risks they're taking than guys who actually think there's something there and just get fooled repeatedly.

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

If teams are really doing their homework on Rosen, he won't be picked outside the top 5. Character concerns are waaaaay overblown and his bad decision making on the field isn't Cutler-esque where the football IQ questions really come into play, he reads the field well and knows the right plays to make at the right time, but he also has exhibited a selfish streak where he wants to take chances on plays he clearly knows are almost impossible just to test his limits and see what he's capable of. I'm less concerned about the gunslinger types who are fully aware of the risks they're taking than guys who actually think there's something there and just get fooled repeatedly.

Sadly I agree.  I suspect those 3 qb (Darnold 1.1 Rosen 1.2 & Allen top 5-10) are going top 10...if not top 5, barring a Matt Barkley type meltdown.  And none of the 3 guys have physical warts that Barkley had.    Given that though we are sorely outgunned.   Same with Cousins and Stafford won't leave the Lions.   Brees & Rodgers aren't FA as posted here & elsewhere.   

Add it up there are no easy fixes for 2018. The mediocre FA options are always there but they will cost a lot of $ relative to our cap space.   No doubt some could easily outplay our 2015-16 QB production but if it leaves us with huge holes on OL/DL we are sunk - elite QB can hide holes on teams but we aren't getting one.   And the one hole that rarely gets hidden is trench weakness.    Bad combo to have QB issues AND trench weakness on OL and run D.  

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Sadly I agree.  I suspect those 3 qb (Darnold 1.1 Rosen 1.2 & Allen top 5-10) are going top 10...if not top 5, barring a Matt Barkley type meltdown.  And none of the 3 guys have physical warts that Barkley had.    Given that though we are sorely outgunned.   Same with Cousins and Stafford won't leave the Lions.   Brees & Rodgers aren't FA as posted here & elsewhere.   

Add it up there are no easy fixes for 2018. The mediocre FA options are always there but they will cost a lot of $ relative to our cap space.   No doubt some could easily outplay our 2015-16 QB production but if it leaves us with huge holes on OL/DL we are sunk - elite QB can hide holes on teams but we aren't getting one.   And the one hole that rarely gets hidden is trench weakness.    Bad combo to have QB issues AND trench weakness on OL and run D.  

Trading Lynch is about the only move this team can make to raise draft capital for a trade up next year, assuming they're not looking to carve up the defense. And who knows what his value is right now or if he'd even have any suitors by next year.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived