Nostalgic/Throwback games chat thread

TecmoSuperJoe

On 6/29/2024 at 8:38 AM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Ellard is probably more HOVG than HOF, but I think it's worth pointing out that his career stats (and career peak) compares very favorably with HOF WRs James Lofton and Art Monk...the difference mainly being that Lofton and Monk retired as all-time receiving yds and rec leaders, Ellard did not. 

On 7/1/2024 at 11:14 PM, Mr Bad Example said:

Ellard is probably more HOVG than HOF, but I think it's worth pointing out that his career stats (and career peak) compares very favorably with HOF WRs James Lofton and Art Monk...the difference mainly being that Lofton and Monk retired as all-time receiving yds and rec leaders, Ellard did not. 

He would have probably been in the HOF if it hadn't taken a while for him to be utilized is a more pass-friendly offense, in addition to getting more consistency at QB to help him out. 

• 2 weeks later...

Good conversation between Roman Harper, Charles Tillman, and Mushin Muhammad. Just three yahoos in their 40s having a pretty open chat about their careers. All very insightful in what they had to say. 

• 1 month later...

Good explaination, and spotlight from Kevin Gilbride about his Run N' Shoot offense in a game from the mid 1993 season between the Oilers, and Seahawks. Gilbride was the Oilers OC from 1990 to 1994. Surprised I hadn't seen this footage previously as much as I love NFL Films. Essentially a mini Hard Knocks episode from yesteryear. Gotta love when Gilbride gets heated at Ernest Givens for messing up a route. 

21 hours ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

ood explaination, and spotlight from Kevin Gilbride about his Run N' Shoot offense in a game from the mid 1993 season between the Oilers, and Seahawks. Gilbride was the Oilers OC from 1990 to 1994. Surprised I hadn't seen this footage previously as much as I love NFL Films. Essentially a mini Hard Knocks episode from yesteryear. Gotta love when Gilbride gets heated at Ernest Givens for messing up a route. 

That scheme may have had something to do with the Oilers not making the Super Bowl in those days. You have to be able to control the clock in January, and in the playoffs, they usually failed to do so. 

7 minutes ago, 7DnBrnc53 said:

That scheme may have had something to do with the Oilers not making the Super Bowl in those days. You have to be able to control the clock in January, and in the playoffs, they usually failed to do so. 

Might be so. Not an excuse to blow at 35 to 3 lead or allow Elway to get out of two long 3rd downs on a game ending drive. Seems like whether due to coaching in addition to leadership the squad just mentally fell apart in the postseason. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Might be so. Not an excuse to blow at 35 to 3 lead or allow Elway to get out of two long 3rd downs on a game ending drive. Seems like whether due to coaching in addition to leadership the squad just mentally fell apart in the postseason. 

Special teams were also a factor in Buffalo, as they had a bad squib kick and a totally blown play on a Christie onside kick to jump start the rally. 

• Like 1

On 8/29/2024 at 1:34 PM, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Good explaination, and spotlight from Kevin Gilbride about his Run N' Shoot offense in a game from the mid 1993 season between the Oilers, and Seahawks. Gilbride was the Oilers OC from 1990 to 1994. Surprised I hadn't seen this footage previously as much as I love NFL Films. Essentially a mini Hard Knocks episode from yesteryear. Gotta love when Gilbride gets heated at Ernest Givens for messing up a route. 

We called him Killdrive in NY, but in hindsight, he might've just been the classic coordinator fall guy. We won two Super Bowls with his offense, even when the rest of the league were running WCO's with simplified routes.

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, redsoxsuck05 said:

We called him Killdrive in NY, but in hindsight, he might've just been the classic coordinator fall guy. We won two Super Bowls with his offense, even when the rest of the league were running WCO's with simplified routes.

Everyone hates their OC when things aren't going well. 49ers fans bag on Kyle Shanahan all the time over the dumbest things when emotions are running high. I still do it sometimes, and want to slap my past self a while later. 

Edited by TecmoSuperJoe
  • Like 1