Would it be insane to take a first round QB next year?

Steelers22

I was looking at the worst teams in the league this year, and outside of the giants (maybe Raiders), almost none of them need a QB going into the draft (e.g. Cardinals, Bills, Colts, Texans, Jets ).  So, with that being said, would it be possible for the steelers to draft a first round QB?  Also, regardless of its plausibility, what are your personal thoughts about it if it were to occur?

The case for it: 

1) There may not be a bigger advantage in sports than having a quality QB on a rookie contract

2) I think there is a legitimate case to be made (obviously a lot can happen between now and the end of the year) for Ben regressing to an average QB at this point.  Do we want to give him an extension if thats the case?

3) At worst, it's a long-term need (2-3 years down the road)

Case against:

1) We have WAY bigger immediate needs on the defensive side of the ball

2) We just drafted Mason Rudolph

3) It would piss off Ben

Ultimately, I can't see it happening.  However, considering the new crop of QB's in the league, I'm not sure we will get another opportunity to have top QB prospects fall to us like what could happen in the 2019 draft.  Thoughts?

At this point, I seriously question Ben's commitment.    

If he continues to look like he is just going through the motions to collect a paycheck, its time to move on.

Would I reach on a QB out of desperation?   No...but if someone fell, or if we happen to be picking high in the draft (which wouldnt shock me at this point), I wouldnt be completely opposed to it.

Ben's contract ends next year (right?) so I don't see why not. If somehow Lock or Herbert dropped I don't think you pass on them. I think Rudolph has potential but you don't pass up that kind of talent because you drafted a QB in the 3rd. As I stated before, I think they are in rebuilding mode whether they realize it or not. Finding a new Franchise QB is the most important part of that process. 

Yes it would be. 

Why? 

Because we wouldn’t likely get that difference maker QB where we're picking. We’d more likely end up with a Dak type QB than anything else. 

I know this sounds sacrilege on one level but:

i rather let Ben retire and just suck up the joint for a year, land a top 5 pick, move to 1 to get that difference making franchise QB. 

only if the season bottoms out and we end up with like the 4th pick and the top QB is available. I doubt that happens, so I'll go into next year to see if mason improves a lot, if he doesn't than I'll like for the steelers to look for a "franchise" QB in the 2020 draft.

5 hours ago, warfelg said:

Yes it would be. 

Why? 

Because we wouldn’t likely get that difference maker QB where we're picking. We’d more likely end up with a Dak type QB than anything else. 

i rather let Ben retire and just suck up the joint for a year, land a top 5 pick, move to 1 to get that difference making franchise QB. 

Well, I think its plausible we end up in the 6-8 win range this year.  So lets say we get pick 16 (or something around there).  With the influx of young QB's, I could really see some of these guys dropping way past where they should be meaning I don't think we would need a top 5 pick to land an upper echelon QB prospect (barring trades of course)

I don't know what value there would be in this draft at QB, but I have hinted a few times that until the ben of a few years back arrives and stays here (not just for a Qtr every other game or so), it might be time to move on. The FO might also see it in a similar way, and a reason they drafted washington and rudolph. 

We have Dobbs and Rudolph, so we should be set at QB unless there is a steal. There are way too many other areas that need help, but with our drafting it's probably a waste on D isn't it?

CB, S, ILB, Edge, C, OG   to name a few, but the first 3 for sure. 

I would let Dobbs and Rudolph have a fair chance and see how that goes.  It could happen this season if ben keeps playing like this and losses add up. Like may here, I would expect many other changes before then, such as CB, S and possibly DC. But if Ben can't score 30+ and help the D out, might as well see if our other QB's can. I think they both will be competent pro's, more about how it's drawn on the chalkboard rather than broken plays and street football. Then AB can stop thinking about trade or throwing to himself etc, 

As for it bothering ben,  maybe someone can remind him of his cap value and how he has played first before he starts to complain about eventual QB's.  If he wants to stay, he needs to play to the level they expect, and right now (it's early) he needs to regain and maintain his old form for entire games since the D is hopeless. 

If this season goes as bad as I think it could we could be picking Top 5 and then no, I don't think it would be insane; for 2 reasons.  1) I think Ben is nearing the end of his effectiveness as an NFL QB.  2) I think Ben is nearing the end of his own personal interest in being an NFL QB

22 hours ago, warfelg said:

Yes it would be. 

Why? 

I largely agree, but if we are picking in the top half of the draft, we could be in position to get a good one.    

Like I said, I would never reach on one, and we have plenty of other needs, but I wouldnt completely dismiss the notion, either.

on a related topic, how many subpar games does ben play before they bring in Dobbs or Rudolph either near the end of a game or perhaps starting (if it goes on for many more weeks)? 

I was under the impression that as long as he is healthy, ben starts and they see how ben and Fitchner compare to haley/ben of recent years.  Then I considered how the D most likely won't be helping the matter and could be a catalyst for a change .  This falcons game should be a good game to get going for the Offence as the falcons have many injuries on D.  

11 hours ago, wwhickok said:

If this season goes as bad as I think it could we could be picking Top 5 and then no, I don't think it would be insane; for 2 reasons.  1) I think Ben is nearing the end of his effectiveness as an NFL QB.  2) I think Ben is nearing the end of his own personal interest in being an NFL QB

It has appeared in recent years that he would be #2 above. That playoff loss last year in the playoffs, there was a shot on the sideline that really said it all. Then this season, too many times he just seems out of it.  That old saying that when an athlete starts talking about retiring, they already are on their way makes sense now.  The physical skills are there, but the awareness and desire can fade in and out. That might still yield wins, but this schedule is difficult and the team needs more than a good QTR2 .

For some reason we have played well in QTR2 , another mystery isn' t it? Slow out of the locker room and complacent if protecting a lead (bucs game, browns game). Those traits with this D should have us drafting early unless all this changes and stays changed.

I think it’s insane. What makes you think we won’t be drafting high the next couple of years?? Ben hasn’t played great, but he hasn’t been terrible either, he’s been about what you could expect from a new QB, or even better. This team isn’t a QB away from being good, we need help at every level of the D. A stud DL or OLB with Ben is better to me than a new QB with the current D. Draft a DL, LB, and CB and live with Ben for another year then let Ben ride into the sunset. I have a feeling we could be drafting top 10 for the next few years...

4 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I largely agree, but if we are picking in the top half of the draft, we could be in position to get a good one.    

Like I said, I would never reach on one, and we have plenty of other needs, but I wouldnt completely dismiss the notion, either.

So I agree with your standpoint there, but I thought of something else to throw in there:

this FO thought of Mason Rudolph as a 1st round QB. I would bet that stops them from taking a QB. 

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

So I agree with your standpoint there, but I thought of something else to throw in there:

this FO thought of Mason Rudolph as a 1st round QB. I would bet that stops them from taking a QB. 

Thats a legit point and for that reason I wouldnt have an issue with them getting big defensive improvements.

Archived