PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

Just got everything ordered for my set-up today with the exception of the gpu... I want to kill myself looking at the prices of these things. Is BTC mining really what is driving this market right now? Like I'm looking for a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and apparently market price on these is like 140 and I can't find one under 230.. and most are over 300. It's insane. 

24 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

Just got everything ordered for my set-up today with the exception of the gpu... I want to kill myself looking at the prices of these things. Is BTC mining really what is driving this market right now? Like I'm looking for a GeForce GTX 1050 Ti and apparently market price on these is like 140 and I can't find one under 230.. and most are over 300. It's insane. 

Here's one for $209 that I found on Newegg, but you're right, the prices are insane right now for these GPU's.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487290&cm_re=Geforce_GTX_1050_Ti-_-14-487-290-_-Product

21 hours ago, Darth Pees said:

Here's one for $209 that I found on Newegg, but you're right, the prices are insane right now for these GPU's.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814487290&cm_re=Geforce_GTX_1050_Ti-_-14-487-290-_-Product

I just said screw it and paid the price. I don't want to wait weeks before I can even build my first rig. Everything should be here by next week. Will be my first time on an actual gaming PC. Anyone have any tips as far as keeping my PC clean and fast? Any software that is a must? 

35 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I just said screw it and paid the price. I don't want to wait weeks before I can even build my first rig. Everything should be here by next week. Will be my first time on an actual gaming PC. Anyone have any tips as far as keeping my PC clean and fast? Any software that is a must? 

Buy a can of compressed air and get the dust out every 3 months. It won't help anything really, but staying ahead of the dust will make life easy down the road.

Past that it is up to you. I used to use antivirus software, but have recently stopped as it wasn't doing anything. Just be safe and you should be fine. 

• Like 1

I didn't think I would like PUBG that much but some friends talked me into getting it and I'm a sucker for peer pressure. 

I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. There are a lot of boring games, like spending 15-20 minutes looting and not seeing anyone only to get sniped by some one way off in the distance but every couple games you have intense action. I made top 5 in a solo game and it was one of the most exhilarating feelings I've felt in gaming. 

8 minutes ago, skywindO2 said:

I didn't think I would like PUBG that much but some friends talked me into getting it and I'm a sucker for peer pressure. 

I'm really surprised by how much I'm enjoying it. There are a lot of boring games, like spending 15-20 minutes looting and not seeing anyone only to get sniped by some one way off in the distance but every couple games you have intense action. I made top 5 in a solo game and it was one of the most exhilarating feelings I've felt in gaming. 

Outside of RL, this is the game I'm most looking forward to playing on PC. I have fun with it even on the crapfest that is the xbox version. Go towards the action if you're just getting started. Drop into the big cities when they are in the flight path. Getting comfortable in those scenarios lowers the anxiety levels when you're placed in a similar situation with <10 people remaining.. 

I love H1Z1. I feel it is much more fun than PUBG because it is more "arcadey". Simpler and faster mechanics. The game is dying, but over the last two years it has been really fun. Hopefully it rebounds. PUBG and Fortnight owe everything to games like H1Z1.

Fortnight on PS4 is also super fun. 

So i finished my first build yesterday and it was about as frustrating as I expected. Ran into an issue where my cpu was rebooting whenever I would try to install the gpu drivers off of NIVIDA. Planned on spending most of yesterday enjoying my new gaming PC... instead I watched updates for hours and played for like 30 minutes before I could literally not stay up any longer. This is one of the things that always kept me from buying a PC, hopefully I won't have any more performance issues in the next few weeks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, packerrfan74 said:

So i finished my first build yesterday and it was about as frustrating as I expected. Ran into an issue where my cpu was rebooting whenever I would try to install the gpu drivers off of NIVIDA. Planned on spending most of yesterday enjoying my new gaming PC... instead I watched updates for hours and played for like 30 minutes before I could literally not stay up any longer. This is one of the things that always kept me from buying a PC, hopefully I won't have any more performance issues in the next few weeks.

Not to say I'm blaming you for any issues, but I've never ever seen that before, did you get it resolved?  But for any device, consoles included, you need to run updates (usually starting right when you get it) and those can take a while.  Then you can just set updates to automatically run and install and then once a month (patch Tuesday) you'll get and update.  

On 1/25/2018 at 7:25 PM, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Buy a can of compressed air and get the dust out every 3 months. It won't help anything really, but staying ahead of the dust will make life easy down the road.

Past that it is up to you. I used to use antivirus software, but have recently stopped as it wasn't doing anything. Just be safe and you should be fine. 

Get a Datavac instead of compressed air. Seems kinda expensive, but it's worth every penny and performs way better. Plus you can use it to clean other stuff.

Agreed on the AV software. I just use Windows defender now, but then again I don't use Windows for anything other than Blizzard games and the occasion single player game.

36 minutes ago, TankWilliams said:

Not to say I'm blaming you for any issues, but I've never ever seen that before, did you get it resolved?  But for any device, consoles included, you need to run updates (usually starting right when you get it) and those can take a while.  Then you can just set updates to automatically run and install and then once a month (patch Tuesday) you'll get and update.  

I got it working.My buddy had a USB with Java, Adobe, DirectX, etc.. for all the things I would need. There ended up being a lot more on the USB then I think he thought and my CPU was being weird so I did a reset where it wipes everything but windows. Upon reboot, yes the first couple of times I was an idiot and didnt fully update windows which is what was causing the issue. So the drivers are now installed and running games. My FPS is good (140-180) but its almost like stuttering. Do you know what could be causing this?

46 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I got it working.My buddy had a USB with Java, Adobe, DirectX, etc.. for all the things I would need. There ended up being a lot more on the USB then I think he thought and my CPU was being weird so I did a reset where it wipes everything but windows. Upon reboot, yes the first couple of times I was an idiot and didnt fully update windows which is what was causing the issue. So the drivers are now installed and running games. My FPS is good (140-180) but its almost like stuttering. Do you know what could be causing this?

I am not sure what you mean by stuttering. What kind of monitor do you have? If you have a 1ms, 144hz monitor there should be no issues there.

What game are you playing? If you are playing a game that isn't optimized well it could be the game.

8 minutes ago, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

I am not sure what you mean by stuttering. What kind of monitor do you have? If you have a 1ms, 144hz monitor there should be no issues there.

What game are you playing? If you are playing a game that isn't optimized well it could be the game.

I have a monitor that I used with my xbox. It's a BenQ. 1ms and 60hz.

Playing RL. I guess I really shouldnt be pushing past 60 FPS

15 minutes ago, packerrfan74 said:

I have a monitor that I used with my xbox. It's a BenQ. 1ms and 60hz.

Playing RL. I guess I really shouldnt be pushing past 60 FPS

Well if you have a 60 hz then going over 60 FPS won't help much, but that could be why it feels choppy if you have played on a 144hz before.

If it isn't that I am not sure. Just make sure all your drivers are installed for your gpu and check your nvidia settings to see if anything is wrong.

Just now, AZ_Eaglesfan said:

Well if you have a 60 hz then going over 60 FPS won't help much, but that could be why it feels choppy if you have played on a 144hz before.

If it isn't that I am not sure. Just make sure all your drivers are installed for your gpu and check your nvidia settings to see if anything is wrong.

I'm completely new to this. My drivers are installed but I haven't touched Nvidia settings. Anything specific I should be looking for there?