PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

On 3/9/2021 at 10:49 AM, Supersuavesky said:

Supposedly we'll have a Best Buy drop this morning but so far nothing.

I was originally targeting a 6800 XT but I'll look for just about anything now.

Following up. Were you able to get the 6800 XT?

I was finally able to get a reference 6800 XT from AMD in the beginning of June. Then I sold my cousin my 3060 Ti at cost ($500). This thang is a beast and super happy I was able to get one of the original GPUs I wanted.

On 7/19/2021 at 11:46 PM, RavensfanRD said:

Following up. Were you able to get the 6800 XT?

I was finally able to get a reference 6800 XT from AMD in the beginning of June. Then I sold my cousin my 3060 Ti at cost ($500). This thang is a beast and super happy I was able to get one of the original GPUs I wanted.

I have a 1060 Ti (6 GB) and am happy with it........  Maybe I should upgrade.. The only games I play on PC though are Stardew Valley and Fallout 76 though

6 hours ago, Heimdallr said:

I have a 1060 Ti (6 GB) and am happy with it........  Maybe I should upgrade.. The only games I play on PC though are Stardew Valley and Fallout 76 though

I'd tell you to continue to wait until the prices keep dropping back to reasonable. Probably around September or so I'd guess. Regardless of which brand you go for (AMD or Nvidia) You'll have a good time or either this generation of GPUs.

So I am in the process of trying to cut down on devices. I’ve got an iPad Pro that is now functioning as my daily and work device because of the new mouse keyboard. So I am thinking of getting a Mac mini at home (can probably cover that by trading in my MacBook Pro) and it is also time to look at a new gaming pc. I have an msi laptop but would be looking for a desktop. 

I would love to hear any experiences with using two devices connected to one monitor. What is a good monitor for gaming? Would a general tv suffice or should I invest in a specific monitor? I’m not a builder so who makes good gaming PCs in the desktop variety?

21 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I would love to hear any experiences with using two devices connected to one monitor. What is a good monitor for gaming? Would a general tv suffice or should I invest in a specific monitor? I’m not a builder so who makes good gaming PCs in the desktop variety?

A TV would be a bad choice for a gaming monitor. The performance will be worse unless you pay more than what a comparable monitor would cost. You will want to look for a monitor with a 1ms refresh rate, low input lag, and either GSync or FreeSync depending on your GPU.

My current set up is two monitors connected to both my desktop and my work laptop. I can switch either monitor at any time to show either computer, and have a USB switch that will switch which computer my keyboard+mouse are connected too. Normally I have my desktop on one monitor, and my work laptop on another, but if I need both for work, or both for my desktop I just switch the monitor input. 

• 8 months later...