PC Gaming Rebooted

TankWilliams

JunpNve.png

I want it. Like, I want it bad, haha.

Based on my current setup however, I'll probably settle for the 3070 unless Big Navi gives us surprises like the Nvidia announcement did. I feel super bad for those newly acquired 2080Ti users over the last two months. Your resale value is like $400 tops. Yikes!

8 hours ago, RavensfanRD said:

JunpNve.png

I want it. Like, I want it bad, haha.

Based on my current setup however, I'll probably settle for the 3070 unless Big Navi gives us surprises like the Nvidia announcement did. I feel super bad for those newly acquired 2080Ti users over the last two months. Your resale value is like $400 tops. Yikes!

I thought Linus mentioned these are gonna be the most expensive cards ever. Older cards probably will hold value for a long time. This series might not even have a killer value card either.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see pricing was released.

Edited by Mossburg

9 hours ago, Mossburg said:

I thought Linus mentioned these are gonna be the most expensive cards ever. Older cards probably will hold value for a long time. This series might not even have a killer value card either.

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't see pricing was released.

Yeah, Nvidia had a nice little showing in my opinion. I'm glad AMD must've made them sweat to see nice performance at decent prices. Can't wait for AMD's reveal of Big Navi and their Ryzen 4000 series. And for those who don't know...

• 3070  $499 (Faster than 2080 Ti)
  • 3080 $699 (2x 2080)
  • 3090 $1499 (Dem Titans, yo)

I'll still wait for benchmarks of course, but man, those claims do have me hyped. It's gonna be a fun end of the year. And Lord knows the world needs it.

On 9/2/2020 at 12:10 AM, Geek said:

Looks like I'm going 4k boys.

970->3080

Now I just got to wait for zen 3 to come out...

970 here too, it's been sad seeing it finally struggle on 1080 more recently. Especially since my 6600k and motherboard went splat, forcing me to replace it with a ryzen 1200. 

A 3700 and 3080 upgrade in time for 2077 might be in the cards alright. This post must also look like number salad for anyone who doesn't play on pc ha! 

1 hour ago, Billy86 said:

970 here too, it's been sad seeing it finally struggle on 1080 more recently. Especially since my 6600k and motherboard went splat, forcing me to replace it with a ryzen 1200. 

A 3700 and 3080 upgrade in time for 2077 might be in the cards alright. This post must also look like number salad for anyone who doesn't play on pc ha! 

Have you thought about taking a look at the 4000 series since that's supposed to be out in Q4? I've been trying to hold off and wait for that even though the 3700x looks real tempting for $270 at Microcenter.

I'm Irish/a permanent resident in Canada so Microcenter isn't really a thing in either (and I'll be in Ireland for the next year or so). I might hold off for the 4000 series but some will depend in the specs (and potential for 3000 series offload price drops).

I play games quite casually, usually more strategy or indie stuff since a lot of the AAA titles have become so risk averse and I'm not too fond of the newer business models at all, but TW3 was the first to overtake Mario 64 as my favourite ever game relative to the time, I have a good 400+ hours in the damn thing, I spent months banging out the outrageous soundtrack on headphones even when not playing the game, the story telling is on par with just about anything on film or TV, and I just can't help but love CDPRs overall attitude to bits, so I'm willing to base my overdue upgrade around this game almost entirely and ride it out for the next 4-5 years, depending on the price. Usually I'm fine for medium settings and don't notice frame rates in the 40 or 50s so long as its smooth, but this is my one "go ****ing nuts" exception where I want the experience to be as perfect as possible on my 150“ projector screen. 

I have an i5-6600k and a 1060 right now that I built around 5 years ago.  I'm at the point where I'm running FPS games on everything low in order to maintain decent performance and anything else on medium.  With Cyberpunk and the new COD coming out in the next few months, I think I want to upgrade/build a new PC. 

These GPUs look awesome and the 3070/80 seems kind of like a no brainer at that price.  If I was buying today, the Ryzen 5 3600 seems like the CPU choice, but does it make sense to wait for Zen 3 to come out?

I really haven't kept up to date on stuff since I did all my initial research on my first PC so looking for any recommendations/tips.  

2 hours ago, flyers0909 said:

I have an i5-6600k and a 1060 right now that I built around 5 years ago.  I'm at the point where I'm running FPS games on everything low in order to maintain decent performance and anything else on medium.  With Cyberpunk and the new COD coming out in the next few months, I think I want to upgrade/build a new PC. 

These GPUs look awesome and the 3070/80 seems kind of like a no brainer at that price.  If I was buying today, the Ryzen 5 3600 seems like the CPU choice, but does it make sense to wait for Zen 3 to come out?

I really haven't kept up to date on stuff since I did all my initial research on my first PC so looking for any recommendations/tips.  

I'd wait for Zen 3. The rumor mill has it being released in October. That also give plenty of time for all the new 3rd party 3080's to best tested out and compared. It's what I'm waiting for at least.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Geek said:

I'd wait for Zen 3. The rumor mill has it being released in October. That also give plenty of time for all the new 3rd party 3080's to best tested out and compared. It's what I'm waiting for at least.

100% this

Zen 3 is rumored to be a massive upgrade and should be closer to being competitive with Intel for running games. Plus, it'll absolutely slap Intel chips at everything else. At the very least, previous processors will take a huge dip in price.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2020 at 4:40 PM, flyers0909 said:

I'm late but I'd wait for Zen 3 just cause 3600's should get some nice discounts. Personally hoping to get a 3700x when that happens. 

Edited by skywindO2
  • Like 1