#WeFiredBruceAllen!!!

MKnight82

42 minutes ago, Woz said:

Part of Allen's gifts are that he's explosive. I would think he could be just as explosive on the end against a LT as he could against a C/G pair.

Ya, the argument that Allen couldn't play end is silly to me.  He'd be a great 4-3 LE.  

47 minutes ago, Woz said:

Why would he be a waste?

If you have Allen, Payne, and Ioannidis, and want to maximize your talent on the field, why not have him rush from the side? Ioannidis can rush from the interior as well.

Because you need a DE to have quickness and speed to turn the corner, Allen just doesn’t have that make up. In my mind, if he goes to 4-3 DE he goes from a 5 plus sack a year player to a 3 sack a year player. It’s just not his forte.

For an excellent poster and mod, I’m actually quite shocked you are taking this positon bc you and Thai have preached for a decade how the Redskins shouldn’t put a square peg in a round hole, well this is exactly what this would be.

8 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya, the argument that Allen couldn't play end is silly to me.  He'd be a great 4-3 LE.  

It’s not that he couldn’t play it, it’s that it’s not his forte. He’s an elite 5-technique or 3-technique. Making him a 7 or 9 technique means taking him away from his greatest strengths as a football player. 

Just now, turtle28 said:

For an excellent poster and mod, I’m actually quite shocked you are taking this positon bc you and Thai have preached for a decade how the Redskins shouldn’t put a square peg in a round hole, well this is exactly what this would be.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but left ends tend to bigger bruisers. If Kerrigan can play right end, I'm not sure how having the best four players on the line is a bad idea.

At the very least, try it out to see if it's viable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

It’s not that he couldn’t play it, it’s that it’s not his forte. He’s an elite 5-technique or 3-technique. Making him a 7 or 9 technique means taking him away from his greatest strengths as a football player. 

Sorry I don't agree with that.  I think he'd be just as effective at LE.

Just now, turtle28 said:

dtechniquealignments_medium.gif

Umm, since I'm so slow at this:

LDE - 5  (Allen)
LDT - 3/2 (Ioannidis)
RDT - 1/2i (Payne)
RDE - 4/5 (Kerrigan)

wouldn't work?

Not everyone runs Schwartz's "wide 9" line.

8 minutes ago, Woz said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but left ends tend to bigger bruisers. If Kerrigan can play right end, I'm not sure how having the best four players on the line is a bad idea.

At the very least, try it out to see if it's viable.

That's all I'm saying. At least "Try It" 

• Like 1

Just now, turtle28 said:

Because you need a DE to have quickness and speed to turn the corner, Allen just doesn’t have that make up. In my mind, if he goes to 4-3 DE he goes from a 5 plus sack a year player to a 3 sack a year player. It’s just not his forte.

Why speed and not power? If you bull rush or swim through/around a guy, do you need out and out speed?

22 hours ago, Woz said:

Why speed and not power? If you bull rush or swim through/around a guy, do you need out and out speed?

It just doesn’t make sense to me to take a life long interior DL who’s been great at it to move him to edge rusher, in fact I’ll just say it, it’s dumb.

Allen is an elite interior player. The Rams never considered moving Aaron Donald outside to edge rusher bc he’s an elite interior rusher. 

We should keep Allen where he is.

Edited by turtle28

28 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

It just doesn’t make sense to me to take a life long interior DL who’s been great at it to move him to edge rusher, in fact I’ll just say it, it’s dumb.

Allen is an elite interior player. The Rams never considered moving Aaron Donald outside to edge rusher bc he’s an elite interior rusher. 

We should keep Allen where he is.

Allen isn’t a life long interior player, he played all over Alabama’s line.

47 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

End in Nickle base is the same thing.

Whatever man. It’s not. Jon Allen has gone against guards almost every snap of his high school, college & pro career. 

If he’s playing the end in the Nickle, then they have 2 DL in and he’s going against the guard. He’s never lined up over an OT. I have never ever seen it in any game I’ve watched of him in college or the pros.

Again, yeah, sure he could play strong side DE on run downs but it’s a waste of his talents. He is more like Aaron Donald in that having him lined up as a 3 tech and going against a guard is his best positon. 

The issue for keeping Ioannidis is that 3-tech is also his best positon and we aren’t going to pay both of them starting money. So, if we go to a 4-3 then I don’t see us re-signing Ioannidis.

25 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Whatever man. It’s not. Jon Allen has gone against guards almost every snap of his high school, college & pro career. 

If he’s playing the end in the Nickle, then they have 2 DL in and he’s going against the guard. He’s never lined up over an OT. I have never ever seen it in any game I’ve watched of him in college or the pros.

Again, yeah, sure he could play strong side DE on run downs but it’s a waste of his talents. He is more like Aaron Donald in that having him lined up as a 3 tech and going against a guard is his best positon. 

The issue for keeping Ioannidis is that 3-tech is also his best positon and we aren’t going to pay both of them starting money. So, if we go to a 4-3 then I don’t see us re-signing Ioannidis.

Nickle is a 4 man front 

6 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Nickle is a 4 man front 

And he plays 3-tech in our 4 man front. The DE/OLBs are Kerrigan/PSmith/McPhee or Anderson.

I swear, this is the oddest conversation. You are acting like you don’t even watch the game, which, I know isn’t true.