Stock Investing

rickyt31

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Nursing.  But I also invest my money, so I’m an armchair expert obviously.

On the surface it’s a fine time to buy when comparing to where the market was, but we’re just getting started with this.  Wait for first and eventually second quarter earnings reports to come out, the inevitable loss of jobs, etc. and the general volatility of the market and it’s borderline irresponsible to advise an inexperienced investor to not only hop in the market, but also advise on a specific stock.

Many more people will be laid off/fired as many companies won’t be able to weather the storm.  Many will tighten their belt and downsize.  That cash may very much be needed in the next 3-6 months for basic necessities.

Keeping cash in hand until things stabilize and trend upward minimizes financial risk and still allows for plenty of money to be made long term. 

ok.... but i have plenty of money saved up, a good job for a large company in a industry where the impact will be minimal and I perform well in it. I dont fall in the category youre talking about, and theres plenty others in my same situation. Im just confused why its an awful time to buy, the market may (heck, prob will) go lower but it could be a marginal difference and every other day its rallying. I get certain people shouldnt buy, but if youre capable seems like a good idea if youre not going to miss the money invested for a year or two.

7 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

ok.... but i have plenty of money saved up, a good job for a large company in a industry where the impact will be minimal and I perform well in it. I dont fall in the category youre talking about, and theres plenty others in my same situation. Im just confused why its an awful time to buy, the market may (heck, prob will) go lower but it could be a marginal difference and every other day its rallying. I get certain people shouldnt buy, but if youre capable seems like a good idea if youre not going to miss the money invested for a year or two.

You’re in a unique situation then.  Best of luck.

I think it’s also optimistic this is just a year or two.  The DOW took roughly 6 years to get back to where it was at its 2007 peak.

Again, if you’re settled in and ready to ride that out and everything else is squared away, cool, but I’m also assuming you’re not a rookie investor (assumingly) like the fella who started this general discussion.  

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

then you shouldnt be buying

• Like 2

2 hours ago, mission27 said:

We arent at the bottom but we're a long way from the top now, no reason not to put some money to work if you find something

yeah i guess if youre dollar cost averaging but i still think its dumb, why not just wait 2 weeks for the crescent of cases in america? 

34 minutes ago, mistakey said:

yeah i guess if youre dollar cost averaging but i still think its dumb, why not just wait 2 weeks for the crescent of cases in america? 

im pretty sure i should, and i suspect we'll have the same conversation i literally just had  but id like to be wrong. why is it a bad time to buy for me?

27 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

im pretty sure i should, and i suspect we'll have the same conversation i literally just had  but id like to be wrong. why is it a bad time to buy for me?

wait for the death tolls to rise, and even better earnings statements for q1

its gonna be a bloodbath for american companies, unemployment rate is gonna skyrocket, and even unreleased reports from the govt show that his pandemic team thinks that it oculd last 18 mos with multiple peaks

17 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I think he’s saying there likely a better time to buy in the very near future.

i get it, we dont know where the bottom is, but i knew going in that there was a chance the marlet would continue to lose. i gave up 10-15% in favor of locking in a price (on average). if things break right, i promise i wont be upset that i could have made another $400 or whatever.

8 minutes ago, mistakey said:

wait for the death tolls to rise, and even better earnings statements for q1

its gonna be a bloodbath for american companies, unemployment rate is gonna skyrocket, and even unreleased reports from the govt show that his pandemic team thinks that it oculd last 18 mos with multiple peaks

please show me the report that shows this is going to last 18 months. if you cant, ill disregard everything else you said,as evwryone else should.