Will Marcus Mariota Be a Top 15 Quarterback Again?

footbull3196

Will Marcus Mariota ever be a top 15 quarterback again?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will Marcus Mariota ever be a top 15 quarterback again?

• Yes, he just needs more help
    • No, he's regressed beyond help
    • He already is a top 15 quarterback (lol)

5 minutes ago, pwny said:

Are you having fun making trash up? I did no such thing.

So who gets credit for beating you in week 3? Or are you going to sit there and deny the entire game changed when Marcus went in for Gabbert?

Or hey...maybe your defense quit trying again when Marcus went in?

Just now, dtait93 said:

So who gets credit for beating you in week 3? Or are you going to sit there and deny the entire game changed when Marcus went in for Gabbert?

Or hey...maybe your defense quit trying too when Marcus went in?

Imagine thinking scoring 6 points is a QB winning a game.

38 minutes ago, pwny said:

There’s clearly a lot more to the argument than that. Like the fact that no QB in the entire NFL throws to more open receivers than him and yet he’s one of the least efficient QBs in all of football. 

I’m also thoroughly confused how a guy with a sub-80 passer rating for 25 games is “efficient”. 

And there's "other" stats to support the argument.  PFF rated him the unluckiest QB in the NFL last season.  They counted 15 bad passes last year... and he ended with 15 ints... suffice to say that the 1:1 ratio is almost unheard of.  Throws bad passes, like everyone.  His just happen to be intercepted more often than everyone else.  Based on league average, his int numbers should have been in the 7-8 area. 

But that unlucky pass stat is just as subjective as the wide open pass... and only plays a small fraction into the whole picture.

You want to keep spouting stats, that's fine...

I'll continue believing what I see most Sundays... the results in spite of the adversity/limitations surrounding him... and hope he puts it together real soon. 

4 minutes ago, ragevsuall17 said:

And there's "other" stats to support the argument.  PFF rated him the unluckiest QB in the NFL last season.  They counted 15 bad passes last year... and he ended with 15 ints... suffice to say that the 1:1 ratio is almost unheard of.  Throws bad passes, like everyone.  His just happen to be intercepted more often than everyone else.  Based on league average, his int numbers should have been in the 7-8 area. 

But that unlucky pass stat is just as subjective as the wide open pass... and only plays a small fraction into the whole picture.

You want to keep spouting stats, that's fine...

I'll continue believing what I see most Sundays... the results in spite of the adversity/limitations surrounding him... and hope he puts it together real soon. 

No point arguing with him. We can just use his logic and chalk it up to him not trying. xD

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

Dodging the question...typical when you know your wrong. 

200.gif

If you can’t figure out that holding an opponent to 6 points while your QB scored 6 points means your defense won the game, you clearly aren’t going to get it.

2 minutes ago, pwny said:

If you can’t figure out that holding an opponent to 6 points while your QB scored 6 points means your defense won the game, you clearly aren’t going to get it.

Nah man, he just wasn't trying. See what I did there? 

1 hour ago, ragevsuall17 said:

Honestly, your posts almost come across as sour grapes.  Mariota and the Titans have the Jags number...   I guess I understand the frustration... and considering your QB is not good at all, but happens to put up stats (wow... 430 yards in a bad losing effort to a bad KC D!!), it's easy to see why stats are being used as the main argument to Mariota being "trash", even with input from that shows that while he's not great... he's also not trash... and it goes beyond the stat sheet.

The Titans besting the Jags doesn’t make Mariota good. Bortles’ failings don’t make Mariota’s failings good. And it’s completely disingenuous to pretend anyone would look at Blake’s 4 INT performance and pretend it was a pretty stat game or that Blake’s recent turn in production has been predicated on stat padding bad performances when we’ve actually been good in the recent past. You’re better than that. Someone else in this discussion, probably not. But you are.

As for your “unlucky” post, Mariota’s adjusted INT total for 2017 is 17. He had two dropped picks and zero tipped picks. So I also don’t see how you can say he only had 15 bad throws when he literally threw 17 directly into a defender’s hands.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stat-analysis/2018/adjusted-interceptions-2017

His should be Intercepted % was tied for 5th in the league. The other 5 players above or tied? Rookie Deshaun Watson and 4 players who aren’t starters anymore or never were.

Mariota has had a passer rating above 90 (what's considered bare minimum to be a long term starter in today's day and age) in only 8 of his past 23 games.

I don't understand why Titan fans are still defending him at this point, but then again... their slogan is "TitanUp" LOL

57 minutes ago, pwny said:

It'd be like saying the Eagles defense won the game in Super Bowl 52. 

I had to

49 minutes ago, Danger said:

Mariota has had a passer rating above 90 (what's considered bare minimum to be a long term starter in today's day and age) in only 8 of his past 23 games.

I don't understand why Titan fans are still defending him at this point

No one is defending his play from last year and in to this year. In fact the 2 of us that are in here having the discussion with you and others have said things like...

"bottom line is he's not putting the stats up to be considered a good QB"

"he's no world beater and he never will be"

"he needs to be better too and he has no one to blame but himself for the areas he needs to improve in"

"Mariota still has a long way to go.  No one is denying that"

"Mariota certainly shares heavily in the blame..." 

"As an offense we haven't scored a touchdown in half of our games. I understand Marcus is in large part to blame for that..."

The point @ragevsuall17 and I are making is that you can't just read the box score and know everything there is to know about him, which is precisely what you've done. 

Honest question, of those 23 games how many have you actually watched?

1 minute ago, dtait93 said:

No one is defending his play from last year and in to this year. In fact the 2 of us that are in here having the discussion with you and others have said things like...

"bottom line is he's not putting the stats up to be considered a good QB"

"he's no world beater and he never will be"

"he needs to be better too and he has no one to blame but himself for the areas he needs to improve in"

"Mariota still has a long way to go.  No one is denying that"

"Mariota certainly shares heavily in the blame..." 

"As an offense we haven't scored a touchdown in half of our games. I understand Marcus is in large part to blame for that..."

The point @ragevsuall17 and I are making is that you can't just read the box score and know everything there is to know about him, which is precisely what you've done. 

Honest question, of those 23 games how many have you actually watched?

You can only defend a player from their numbers so much. 

It's not like it's 13-14 out of 23, it's not like he's having the occasional bad game. He has the occasional good game. I understand your standards for QB play have been lowered due to the product you had before Mariota, but a team that accepts mediocrity will never be anything more than mediocre. 

12 minutes ago, Danger said:

You can only defend a player from their numbers so much. 

It's not like it's 13-14 out of 23, it's not like he's having the occasional bad game. He has the occasional good game. I understand your standards for QB play have been lowered due to the product you had before Mariota, but a team that accepts mediocrity will never be anything more than mediocre. 

I mean honestly, how much have we defended him from his numbers though? Rage literally just said, "bottom line is he's not putting the stats up to be considered a good QB" and I've echoed his sentiments. We're merely saying his impact goes beyond what the box score shows.

Your mediocrity point is fair. We'll see how he does through the stretch and close of the season.

Archived