The 2018 Playoff Hunt is on!

vike daddy

Looks like the Vikings playoff hunt is coming to prime time.

They flexed the Bears game to Sunday night.  Unless we get flexed out, the next week Packers are Sunday night, the Patriots late Sunday afternoon and the Seahawks are Monday night.

Hope Zimmer has them pumped and ready to  play.

16 minutes ago, since72 said:

Unless we get flexed out, the next week Packers are Sunday night

I see maybe one game worthy of flexing that week and that would be Seattle at Carolina, they'd have to decide by 11/13 as well. 

If the Packers lose to Miami I could see it happening as they'd be 3-5-1 heading to Seattle, on Thursday night, for a tough match up.

2 hours ago, VikeManDan said:

I see maybe one game worthy of flexing that week and that would be Seattle at Carolina, they'd have to decide by 11/13 as well. 

If the Packers lose to Miami I could see it happening as they'd be 3-5-1 heading to Seattle, on Thursday night, for a tough match up.

It's still a major rivalry and it's Aaron Rodgers. It's not a game they'll give up.

I see Sunday's game as the division.  If we lose at Chicago, with games coming up with the Packers, the Belichiks and the Starbucks, we aren't winning the division.  It's still anyone's division, except for the Lions who are fading fast.

The Bears are 6-3 and only have one non-divisional game left where they won’t be favored (home to the Rams). They have 2 very likely wins left, at the Giants and home to the Niners, which would put them at 8. Vikings need to sweep Chicago to limit the Bears to 10-6, without relying on help from the Packers at Soldier Field or the Lions at home on Thanksgiving, along with the Rams of course.

In other words the Vikings hopes of winning the division nearly disappear if they lose in Chicago this week. 

Even if they win the division, a first round bye is basically off the table, as the Rams and Saints each have only one loss and a head-to-head win over the Vikings. Minnesota would need to win out to get to 12-3-1 while either LA or NO loses 3 of their last 7. That’s not happening.

The wild card race includes the 6-3 Panthers, who still have to play the Saints twice, and the 4-4-1 Packers, who haven’t won on the road all year and still have road games left in Seattle, Minnesota and Chicago, plus the hot-and-cold Falcons at home. Next on the list are bunch of 5 loss teams: Cowboys, Eagles, Seahawks, Falcons.

For the Vikings, 5 losses (10-5-1) would effectively guarantee a playoff spot, meaning they would have to finish 5-2, say by splitting the next 4 and winning the last 3, including Chicago at home. 6 losses (9-6-1) might be enough for the playoffs as long as they beat GB at home to get the tiebreaker and give them at least their 5th loss, but they’d be vulnerable to the Panthers finishing strong to get to 10 or 11 wins, and one of the 5 loss teams getting hot and finishing 10-6. 

Of those 5 loss teams, Philly just lost its only good CB for the year (Darby with an ACL) and their OL is a patchwork from injuries. The Seahawks might be able to get to 10 wins if they beat GB and MIN at home, but they still have the Panthers (in Carolina) and Chiefs (at home) so 9 wins is likely their ceiling. The Falcons have played really well in stretches and might still put together a run once Deion Jones comes back, but they still have NO, CAR, GB, DAL and BAL left on the schedule so again, 9-7 is likely their ceiling. 

For my money, the Cowboys are the most likely 4-5 team to finish 10-6. Their defense is legit, and the passing attack is at least respectable now with the addition of Amari Cooper. They have the Saints at home, road games In Atlanta and Indianapolis, plus what should be 4 winnable games: home to PHI, WAS, TB, and away to NYG. 

If Dallas (or one of the other 4-5 teams) finishes 6-1 to get to 10-6, the Vikings need to finish 5-2 to make the playoffs, assuming the Panthers’ wheels don’t fall off completely. 

If none of the 4-5 teams can do better than 9-7, Minnesota would nearly guarantee a wildcard spot by beating the Packers at home. They could finish 9-6-1 (meaning 3 losses in the remaining 6 non-Packers games) and still make it.

Long story short, the Vikings need to win in Chicago to have a good chance of winning the division. If they lose, they need to beat the Packers the following week to have a good chance of winning a wildcard. 

9 hours ago, SteelKing728 said:

what ever happened to the NFC being this amazing conference? Seems kind of lackluster outside NO and LAR.

I'm not sure anyone ever said it was going to be amazing, but it was projected to be deeper than the AFC.  And to a degree, it still is, despite the lackluster play.  The entire NFL, as far as I am concerned, is lackluster...probably because of the atrocious offensive line play throughout the league and the way they've neutered defense.  

Archived