Credit to Williams

Kiwibrown

2 hours ago, MistaBohmbastic said:

Yep. I heard an interesting theory on why he's doing it. It's possible that he knows he's getting the axe after the season, so he's gonna get every bit out of these guys that he can for the sake of making himself look better. It's a selfish move but it makes sense to me.

Kirksey and Schobert played every defensive snap last season. I just think that Williams prefers to have the starters out there.

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Damn, no kidding....

Still seems dumb, he looks gassed as hell at times.

If he is gassed he should be given a breather. He is young and in shape though, he probably shouldn't need much rest if he isn't hurt unless the D is on the field for a larger than normal portion of the game. That said, you'd probably want to be proactive because you want him on the field in the 4th and 5th quarter. He wouldn't want to come off of the field in the 1st quarter. So maybe one series he takes a couple snaps off in each the 2nd and 3rd quarter. (my math tells me that is still going to be around 94-95%)...

...We are averaging 75 defensive plays per game, which is by far the most in the league and 11 more per game than last year. Seems bad, but we are also averaging 72 plays per game on offense which is 2nd in the league, we just usually play an extra 8-10 minutes compared to other teams so yeah, maybe that 95% for Garrett is more taxing than your other defensive players. Certainly wouldn't (maybe) hurt to try to get him around 90% of the snaps to see if that helps him later in the game. Ogbah is at like 79% so they could meet in the middle somewhere.

3 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Kirksey and Schobert played every defensive snap last season. I just think that Williams prefers to have the starters out there.

I want to say going through snap count as far back as you can through football reference, Williams sticks with his starters. He will only play depth at LBs if truly needed

21 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

If he is gassed he should be given a breather. He is young and in shape though, he probably shouldn't need much rest if he isn't hurt unless the D is on the field for a larger than normal portion of the game. That said, you'd probably want to be proactive because you want him on the field in the 4th and 5th quarter. He wouldn't want to come off of the field in the 1st quarter. So maybe one series he takes a couple snaps off in each the 2nd and 3rd quarter. (my math tells me that is still going to be around 94-95%)...

...We are averaging 75 defensive plays per game, which is by far the most in the league and 11 more per game than last year. Seems bad, but we are also averaging 72 plays per game on offense which is 2nd in the league, we just usually play an extra 8-10 minutes compared to other teams so yeah, maybe that 95% for Garrett is more taxing than your other defensive players. Certainly wouldn't (maybe) hurt to try to get him around 90% of the snaps to see if that helps him later in the game. Ogbah is at like 79% so they could meet in the middle somewhere.

I’d be happy if he just got a few plays off on first and second downs tbh.

I’d like 80-85% I suppose if forced to put a number on it.  Doesn’t sound like a huge difference, but it’s 2-3x the rest he gets now.

I agree the OT games inflate the numbers, but they also show just how much football he’s played.

19 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I want to say going through snap count as far back as you can through football reference, Williams sticks with his starters. He will only play depth at LBs if truly needed

Is that a good thing though?  Is a worn out starter better than a fresh reserve?

IDK, I’d love to see some numbers on what some of the younger coaches are doing, top defenses, etc, if any such analytics exist...

10 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Is that a good thing though?  Is a worn out starter better than a fresh reserve?

IDK, I’d love to see some numbers on what some of the younger coaches are doing, top defenses, etc, if any such analytics exist...

I think it depends on the player. Bears have one of the better defenses.

Mack has only played 80% of the snaps. Roquan Smith 69%. Fuller has played 99% and Amos one of their FS has played 100% and 22% of the ST snaps. The other safety has played 96%.

Looking at Baltimore, no one in their front 7 has played more than 67% of their snaps but in the secondary, they have 3 guys over 90% of the snaps. 

Jacksonville has two LBs that have played 100% of their snaps. A corner who has played 100% of their snaps but no lineman has played more than 75% of their snaps. They have 3 other DBs with 96% or more snaps taken. So basically their entire secondary has played just about every snap. 

Now looking at the Browns. Garrett has played 91% and Obun has played 88%. LBs, Joe is at 77%, Kirksey is at 70% and Collins as at 82%. Ward and Randall are at 98 and 96%, that is expected. With injuries, the other corner snap counts are off. Kindred is at 47% and Peppers is at 54%

for the cream of the crop, the rams.

Donald is at 88% and Suh is at 86%. They have two LBs at 94% and 80%. Both safeties are at 95% and Peters is the only Corner above 55% and he is at 86% but injuries prolly have skewed the other corners.

Seems like there isnt a rhyme or reason of how others handle the snap counts.  

Rams do have the 3rd best team at sustaining drives, Ravens are 17th, Jags are 23rd, and the Bears are 11th. So its not like those other defenses are getting large amounts of rest from their offense.

12 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I think it depends on the player. Bears have one of the better defenses.

Mack has only played 80% of the snaps. Roquan Smith 69%. Fuller has played 99% and Amos one of their FS has played 100% and 22% of the ST snaps. The other safety has played 96%.

Looking at Baltimore, no one in their front 7 has played more than 67% of their snaps but in the secondary, they have 3 guys over 90% of the snaps. 

Jacksonville has two LBs that have played 100% of their snaps. A corner who has played 100% of their snaps but no lineman has played more than 75% of their snaps. They have 3 other DBs with 96% or more snaps taken. So basically their entire secondary has played just about every snap. 

Now looking at the Browns. Garrett has played 91% and Obun has played 88%. LBs, Joe is at 77%, Kirksey is at 70% and Collins as at 82%. Ward and Randall are at 98 and 96%, that is expected. With injuries, the other corner snap counts are off. Kindred is at 47% and Peppers is at 54%

for the cream of the crop, the rams.

Donald is at 88% and Suh is at 86%. They have two LBs at 94% and 80%. Both safeties are at 95% and Peters is the only Corner above 55% and he is at 86% but injuries prolly have skewed the other corners.

Seems like there isnt a rhyme or reason of how others handle the snap counts.  

Rams do have the 3rd best team at sustaining drives, Ravens are 17th, Jags are 23rd, and the Bears are 11th. So its not like those other defenses are getting large amounts of rest from their offense.

Good post, thanks for the info.

On ‎10‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 11:15 AM, MistaBohmbastic said:

Pete Smith. He's like an eternal pessimist, but this one sounded pretty plausible.

I go back and forth with him on twitter all the time, as a matter of fact we are going at it about having Ogunjobi having a greater potential at 3 tech as opposed to Nose

On ‎10‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 12:31 AM, Kiwibrown said:

I agree he is far from perfect. 

Just doing well.

i.e. Until his defense has a bad game and Browns fan can resume talk about how bad his schemes are

1 hour ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I go back and forth with him on twitter all the time, as a matter of fact we are going at it about having Ogunjobi having a greater potential at 3 tech as opposed to Nose

I trust your word over his. To me, he comes off as a complete know-it-all who doesn't actually know it all, and I very rarely see him say anything positive. But, I still follow him lol.

Archived