Is that the light at the end of the tunnel? (O.T. Thread)

zelbell

10 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I can’t figure out why the oldest and most senile people in our country keep becoming the most influential political leaders in the western world. What happened to Mitch McConnell and what keeps happening to Biden is ridiculous to watch. These guys are too old. Is no one else capable of doing what McConnell does? He looked frozen.

Corporations, Big Pharma, Wall Street, Military Industrial Complex, special interest groups, etc. aren't interested in anyone else being our political leaders. These guys do their bidding. Democrat and Republican.

• Like 4

Here's another question I have?

A certain party believes that lyrics to a song should be considered dangerous, as it endorses violence, including lynching.

the other parties response is to demonize cancel culture, and free speech, while pointing to lyrics that have done the same, for many years (all true btw)

However, that same party that will demonize cancel culture, will tell folks they shouldn't drink a certain brand of adult beverage, since it's been endorsed by a trans person.

Is there a difference here, or am I missing something?

33 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Here's another question I have?

A certain party believes that lyrics to a song should be considered dangerous, as it endorses violence, including lynching.

the other parties response is to demonize cancel culture, and free speech, while pointing to lyrics that have done the same, for many years (all true btw)

However, that same party that will demonize cancel culture, will tell folks they shouldn't drink a certain brand of adult beverage, since it's been endorsed by a trans person.

Is there a difference here, or am I missing something?

Boycotting has been a form of peaceful protesting for literally hundreds of years and the best examples include Gandhi and his March to the sea followed by MLK circa 1954-1964.

Both parties are hypocrites. One party tells us corporations are evil and the other party enables tax cuts for them while simultaneously supporting Disney and their monopoly interests and violating antitrust laws while being in a tax exempt state because of their “progressive values”.

I had liberal friends and coworkers say Trump was cognitively unfit to serve and shamelessly voted for this cognitive and/or age mess you see and have seen here and will do so again in 2024. 

It is a systemic mess.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Boycotting has been a form of peaceful protesting for literally hundreds of years and the best examples include Gandhi and his March to the sea followed by MLK circa 1954-1964.

Both parties are hypocrites. One party tells us corporations are evil and the other party enables tax cuts for them while simultaneously supporting Disney and their monopoly interests and violating antitrust laws while being in a tax exempt state because of their “progressive values”.

I had liberal friends and coworkers say Trump was cognitively unfit to serve and shamelessly voted for this cognitive and/or age mess you see and have seen here and will do so again in 2024. 

It is a systemic mess.

Well to your friends' point...if the choice is between the cognitive mess that is currently in place, or the cognitive mess that is also a criminal......fairly easy to pick imo

Edited by big poppa pump
but i get your point
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, big poppa pump said:

Well to your friends' point...if the choice is between the cognitive mess that is currently in place, or the cognitive mess that is also a criminal......fairly easy to pick imo

I think it’s pretty transparent that both are criminals. Those who don’t acknowledge Biden as one have their rose colored glasses on. Just my opinion.

Edited by MWil23
  • Like 3

More importantly, per the whole Bud Lite thing, companies need to know their demographic. MJ said it best: Republicans buy sneakers too.

You can’t wonder what’s happening when 85% of your customers come from a conservative base and they’ll just buy Busch Lite Miller Lite or Coors Lite instead.

Stay in your lane and make funny commercials instead and continue making low tier watered down beer…this is the same company who used blue collar humor and scantily dresses women for decades. Maybe keep that in mind next time guys.

12 hours ago, NateDawg said:

I can’t figure out why the oldest and most senile people in our country keep becoming the most influential political leaders in the western world. What happened to Mitch McConnell and what keeps happening to Biden is ridiculous to watch. These guys are too old. Is no one else capable of doing what McConnell does? He looked frozen.

If they’re too old what are Grassley and Pelosi lol? These mfers are almost a decade older than Biden and Cocaine Mitch.

At the end of the day we the people are responsible for this mess.  We continue to vote these clowns time after time mostly because each Party is more concerned with electability than anything else.

And these goobers are all egomaniacal psychopaths who have no interest in giving up their power, influence, or easy money whether they need it or not.  Like imagine having a job for decades and not developing someone to replace you at a reasonable point.  Both our current and previous president are at a point they’re not fit for office for various reasons.  Instead of saying “I’ve had my time, this is the person I think should lead our party moving forward” and fully throwing their weight behind getting them elected, they’re trying to use every ounce of the pudding left between their ears to get re-elected at like 80 something and we the voters are just like “yeah, sounds good.  I’ll vote for my favorite geriatric avatar in 2024 too.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

I think it’s pretty transparent that both are criminals. Those who do t acknowledge Biden as one have their rose colored glasses on. Just my opinion.

I mean, one has been indicted on dozens of felony charges with more to likely come and the other is accused of crimes, just like every other democrat has btw, without anything ever coming of it.

Like at some point you’re just parroting propaganda.

I’m not saying Biden is a good guy or a capable president or whatever, you know my stance on his conservative ***, but to downplay things to make them seem comparable is disingenuous at best.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

More importantly, per the whole Bud Lite thing, companies need to know their demographic. MJ said it best: Republicans buy sneakers too.

You can’t wonder what’s happening when 85% of your customers come from a conservative base and they’ll just buy Busch Lite Miller Lite or Coors Lite instead.

Stay in your lane and make funny commercials instead and continue making low tier watered down beer…this is the same company who used blue collar humor and scantily dresses women for decades. Maybe keep that in mind next time guys.

Bud Light absolutely missed the mark on their demographics, but for all the yammering that particular group of folks do about stuff like snowflakes and cancel culture it sure seems a bit hypocritical.

And to be clear, idgaf about any of it. Those goobers are free to buy whatever awful attempt at beer they like, it makes no difference to me and it’s their right to vote with their wallet.  I just wish they’d shut up about others doing the same.

ETA: I’d also argue that the add wasn’t really political at all which is why the Jordan reference doesn’t really fit.  The ad was just a person being themselves advertising a beer.  If that person simply existing and promoting the brand is political then conservative are simply saying the quiet part out loud that bigotry is part of their party platform. 

Edited by LETSGOBROWNIES
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

ETA: I’d also argue that the add wasn’t really political at all which is why the Jordan reference doesn’t really fit.  The ad was just a person being themselves advertising a beer.  If that person simply existing and promoting the brand is political then conservative are simply saying the quiet part out loud that bigotry is part of their party platform

It’s not political. It’s representative of a value. People care about who endorses a particular product and have since radio/tv/magazines have been used.

I don’t drink Bud Light because it sucks. If others boycott for another reason, that’s their business. 

Their front and center person has personally spoken to Biden advocating for various things and so to make it that cut and dry and slap a label on it is a bit over simplistic.

29 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

It’s not political. It’s representative of a value. People care about who endorses a particular product and have since radio/tv/magazines have been used.

right, but if the only thing this person has done that offends someone enough to change brands is be themselves that’s simple bigotry.  I mean like Websters definition more or less. 

It’s still their right to do so, but I’m also going to call it what it is and point out the hypocrisy when they queef on about cancel culture.

I don’t drink Bud Light because it sucks. If others boycott for another reason, that’s their business. 

same, agree 

Their front and center person has personally spoken to Biden advocating for various things and so to make it that cut and dry and slap a label on it is a bit over simplistic.

Advocation for what?

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Advocation for what?

Gender affirming care for trans minors. I believe that this is the crux of what many people who are conservative believe. Once you’re an adult and have gone through puberty and have a fully developed frontal lobe that understands what the word “permanent” means (See: Supreme Court ruling), you do whatever you want to do. Before then? No, you’re a minor and parents have a right to help you make or not make those decisions to see what all of those things entail going forward.

13 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Gender affirming care for trans minors. I believe that this is the crux of what many people who are conservative believe. Once you’re an adult and have gone through puberty and have a fully developed frontal lobe that understands what the word “permanent” means (See: Supreme Court ruling), you do whatever you want to do. Before then? No, you’re a minor and parents have a right to help you make or not make those decisions to see what all of those things entail going forward.

Well it’s not just for minors in some cases.  That’s the argument given to try to seem reasonable I suppose, but it’s not reality.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/22/health/transgender-adults-treatment-bans.html#:~:text=Over many years%2C seven states,type of gender-affirming care.

Adults having the ability to make decisions for their own bodies isn’t high in the conservative agenda and neither is providing state guided assistance to kids.  

Let’s just acknowledge what this is.  It’s one sided saying “we don’t like this and if we have our say people won’t be able to do it”.  No need to cloak this in any thinly disguised BS, we’re all reasonable adults here.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well it’s not just for minors in some cases.  That’s the argument given to try to seem reasonable I suppose, but it’s not reality.  

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/04/22/health/transgender-adults-treatment-bans.html#:~:text=Over many years%2C seven states,type of gender-affirming care.

Adults having the ability to make decisions for their own bodies isn’t high in the conservative agenda and neither is providing state guided assistance to kids.  

Let’s just acknowledge what this is.  It’s one sided saying “we don’t like this and if we have our say people won’t be able to do it”.  No need to cloak this in any thinly disguised BS, we’re all reasonable adults here.

I’m speaking strictly to Dylan’s advocacy, which specifically IS to minors. That’s factually correct and undeniable, taken straight off of the bio on wiki.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dylan_Mulvaney

Later that October, Mulvaney met with President Joe Biden for a presidential forum organized by the online news outlet NowThis News.[18][19] When asked by Mulvaney about recent legislation restricting gender-affirming care for transgender youth by Republican-led legislatures, Biden called it "outrageous" and "immoral."