NBA Draft Thread: NO trades 4 to ATL (8/17/35)

NYRaider

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So were Anthony Davis, Blake Griffin, and Kevin Durant. Duke will put a smacking on Michigan State in the E8 if you guys make it that far and you'll see that Barrett is for real. 

I fully expect Duke to beat us.  We are an unathletic team full of injuries and players who have played over their expectations.  I am sure RJ Barret will beat up on Matt McQuaid, he should.  Matt McQuaid probably won't play basketball beyond this year other than in rec leagues.  I am also sure that RJ will take 26 shots to score 24 points, and Zion will take 12 and score 30, and that will be why we lose.  I honestly doubt the game would be close.  I am a realist.  I know RJ has a place in the NBA, and nobody on the MSU roster right now does.  But his place in the NBA IMO is more as a 4th best player on a winning team or the 1st or 2nd on a perennial loser while chucking shots. 

58 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I fully expect Duke to beat us.  We are an unathletic team full of injuries and players who have played over their expectations.  I am sure RJ Barret will beat up on Matt McQuaid, he should.  Matt McQuaid probably won't play basketball beyond this year other than in rec leagues.  I am also sure that RJ will take 26 shots to score 24 points, and Zion will take 12 and score 30, and that will be why we lose.  I honestly doubt the game would be close.  I am a realist.  I know RJ has a place in the NBA, and nobody on the MSU roster right now does.  But his place in the NBA IMO is more as a 4th best player on a winning team or the 1st or 2nd on a perennial loser while chucking shots. 

There have been 6 games all season where RJ had more shots then points but alright. Just like he was struggling to stop Cam Johnson when he only scored 2 points on RJ during the actual game...

14 hours ago, NYRaider said:

• Won MVP of the Fiba U19 tournament at 17 years old, two years younger than the majority of players in the tournament. 

17 years old would only be 1 year younger than the majority.  U19 is under 19, so 18 year olds.  19U is 19 and under.  It's a subtle difference, but the placement of the U is important.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:46 AM, beekay414 said:

So, what's the outlook on Fletcher Magee's NBA future? Dude is a sniper and has decent size (6'4" 200). I think there's something there. Could be a really good 2nd rounder. Him and Windler from Belmont. 

He worked out with a few NBA teams when he tested the waters last year, so we know there is some legitimate interest there. He will no doubt be in the G-league and given a chance, at the very least. I'm not entirely sure if he gets drafted, just doubt the NBA puts much value in a 22 year old guard who is not very athletic considering how it's all about finding the next gem, "high-ceiling" type of guy, these days. 

Personally think of him as late 1st caliber. I'm not looking for building blocks past the lotto, I'm looking for role players, guys that can do one thing really, really well. With Fletcher you obviously have that 3 ball. Best 3 point shooter in college history, we know he has NBA range, and considering his 3P% despite the often high degree of difficulty of his shots, I think he can be a straight sniper (~45%) at the next level as more of a spot up shooter. The instincts and hustle are there defensively, obviously lacks the length and athleticism you want in a 2 guard, but NBA is all about team defense nowadays anyway so I'm not ready to pencil him in as future defensive liability. I think he'll be lucky to go in the 2nd as NBA teams will opt for the 5 starts out of HS who have the athleticism and... potential, over Magee. 

Windler is a guy who I bet will really rise, if he hasn't already, on draft boards after workouts and teams get a closer look at him. I actually predict he will sneak into the late 1st. Unlike Magee, I think teams will view him as a guy who might be able to develop into a starter (or more). 6'8 swingman that can score in a variety of ways, and did so with great efficiency in college. Most importantly he's got the 3 ball down. Only questions I see are, as it is for most mid major guys, is what exactly will his role be and will he be able to defend at that position (too slow for SGs, not big or strong enough for forwards).

On 3/21/2019 at 9:46 PM, beekay414 said:

So, what's the outlook on Fletcher Magee's NBA future? Dude is a sniper and has decent size (6'4" 200). I think there's something there. Could be a really good 2nd rounder. Him and Windler from Belmont. 

He can shoot the hell out of the ball. I'd take him in the 2nd for sure. Not sure he's good enough at anything else but you can always use a shooter at the end of your bench.

2 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

Most people expected him to go 1st round.

Most media members, not NBA teams. He kept his name in the draft until the last possible day and then pulled out because he didn't like the feedback he was getting. 

Archived