Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
broncofan48

Broncos VS Texans GDT

Recommended Posts

2018-broncos-vs-texans.jpg

 

It's the Demaryius Thomas Revenge Game!

 

Image result for broncos vs texans

 

Things to Watch:

1.  Houston DL vs Denver OL.  I don't see how Denver's OL can hold up against Mercilus, Clowney, & Watt.  Keenum will need a clean pocket and I'm not sure he will get one.

2.  How does Sutton do replacing DT?  Honestly this is what I'm most excited about, I'm thinking his breakout will really come after the bye but I'm looking forward to seeing what Sutton can do with increased snaps.

3.  Denver DL vs Houston OL.  Houston's line has been playing better as of late, but Denver's strength is the pass rush.   Von & Co will need to play well to keep this high powered offense grounded.

4.  How prepared/how well the team plays.  If the team comes out flat and doesn't at least compete I think Vance gets replaced over the bye.  Case would too if it wasn't a dumpster fire at backup QB behind him.

 

Sunday marks the first Sunday in a month I won't  be working cows so I'm looking forward to a long day of football and RDR2.  And beer, lots of beer.

 

Prediction:

Houston 27  Denver 20.  I think the pass rush will keep this game close for a while but Watson is just too good to be kept down for long.  I'm expecting big days out of Sanders, Sutton and Lindsay though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, broncofan48 said:

2018-broncos-vs-texans.jpg

 

It's the Demaryius Thomas Revenge Game!

 

Image result for broncos vs texans

 

Things to Watch:

1.  Houston DL vs Denver OL.  I don't see how Denver's OL can hold up against Mercilus, Clowney, & Watt.  Keenum will need a clean pocket and I'm not sure he will get one.

2.  How does Sutton do replacing DT?  Honestly this is what I'm most excited about, I'm thinking his breakout will really come after the bye but I'm looking forward to seeing what Sutton can do with increased snaps.

3.  Denver DL vs Houston OL.  Houston's line has been playing better as of late, but Denver's strength is the pass rush.   Von & Co will need to play well to keep this high powered offense grounded.

4.  How prepared/how well the team plays.  If the team comes out flat and doesn't at least compete I think Vance gets replaced over the bye.  Case would too if it wasn't a dumpster fire at backup QB behind him.

 

Sunday marks the first Sunday in a month I won't  be working cows so I'm looking forward to a long day of football and RDR2.  And beer, lots of beer.

 

Prediction:

Houston 27  Denver 20.  I think the pass rush will keep this game close for a while but Watson is just too good to be kept down for long.  I'm expecting big days out of Sanders, Sutton and Lindsay though.

Great GDT (and 2 great banners/jpg's there, I salute the 88 tribute, vs. HOU no less).

The only things I'd add:

1.  HOU's run D vs. our run game - obviously, the run game is our strength.  It's also a strong part of HOU's D strength, too.  So it's a test of wills there.

2.  Their run game vs. our run D - the HOU run game has suddenly come to life the past 2 weeks vs. JAX & MIA - it's no coincidence that the pressure on Watson has decreased significantly - no sacks, only 2 pressures last week.   The first 6 weeks, HOU's OL had given up 70 pressures - 2nd worst had 45.   That's astounding.   

3.  Specific matchups to watch for:

-Our L EDGE vs. their RT Kendall Lamm.   He's a weak link on a bad pass pro unit.

-All of their EDGES against Bolles/RT (Veldheer, Turner, whoever) - duh

-Hopkins vs. CHJ - should be a classic battle

-WR Keke Coutee vs. our 3rd CB - assuming Coutee plays, this is a horrible mismatch

-Watson vs. whoever is tasked with spy / contain roles - Watson's not a pure scrambler, he scrambles to extend plays, the most dangerous type of mobile QB's.   Just like we had to keep Mahomes contained in the pocket, letting Watson escape and able to look downfield is a big problem for our D.   He's a very capable pocket passer, but when he gets to freelance, our coverage isn't good enough to keep up.

-Keenum vs. their safeties (rookie Justin Reid coming on, giving Kareem Jackson a run for his money and of course the Honey Badger) - Keenum's slow read progression and inability to look off guys is where the HOU D can really feast.    

I tend to agree with the 27-20 type game, as usual, TO's, ToP and field position / ST play will matter a ton.    I do hope we have a nice send off for DT pre-game, he's earned it.  If he scores a TD on us this week, one of the few times I'll be happy even as it happens (as much as I want us to pick high, still rather our guys play well and lose - so never want to see an opponent do well as a default - but clear exception here).

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, jsthomp2007 said:

DT scores four TDs

Haha I was going to say, watch DT torch us.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Broncofan said:

Keenum vs. their safeties (rookie Justin Reid coming on, giving Kareem Jackson a run for his money) - Keenum's slow read progression and inability to look off guys is where the HOU D can really feast

Quick comment on this - Reid has been fantastic, but Kareem has really come into his own at S, might be our most dependable DB right now. On our nickel sets, Reid comes in and either Jackson or Tyrann Mathieu (who is starting to really find his place as well) drops into the nickel CB spot, which both can play with real tenacity. 

Texans are "hot" right now, but this is absolutely a game where Houston is at a disadvantage. The Denver crowd is always an advantage, which could mean disaster against this Texans OL (I think they lead the league in pre snap penalties, and I'm expecting about 6-7 False Start penalties). Von, Chubb and Shane Ray should have some free lanes to charge through, as neither Kendall Lamm or Julie'n Davenport have the ability or football IQ to slow any of them down. DT might get the nod, but asking him to contribute with a week to learn a very complex playbook is asking a lot, so that will mean forcing the ball to DeAndre Hopkins/Chris Harris Jr. I'm also interested in how Deshaun Watson is going to perform in the higher altitudes with a bruised/partially collapsed lung - the word is that it's no longer an issue, but I'll hold judgement until I see him show no ill effect. 

The Texans D should have enough to stymie the Broncos O, but a multi tool back like Phillip Lindsay tends to have good games vs the Texans - and the Texans will be relying on a very depleted secondary, with Jonathan Joseph a game time decision.

I'm actually thinking the Texans lose a very close one, 20-17. Case Keenum has a chip on his shoulder against his original team and has one of those big games he tends to have...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Quick comment on this - Reid has been fantastic, but Kareem has really come into his own at S, might be our most dependable DB right now. On our nickel sets, Reid comes in and either Jackson or Tyrann Mathieu (who is starting to really find his place as well) drops into the nickel CB spot, which both can play with real tenacity. 

Texans are "hot" right now, but this is absolutely a game where Houston is at a disadvantage. The Denver crowd is always an advantage, which could mean disaster against this Texans OL (I think they lead the league in pre snap penalties, and I'm expecting about 6-7 False Start penalties). Von, Chubb and Shane Ray should have some free lanes to charge through, as neither Kendall Lamm or Julie'n Davenport have the ability or football IQ to slow any of them down. DT might get the nod, but asking him to contribute with a week to learn a very complex playbook is asking a lot, so that will mean forcing the ball to DeAndre Hopkins/Chris Harris Jr. I'm also interested in how Deshaun Watson is going to perform in the higher altitudes with a bruised/partially collapsed lung - the word is that it's no longer an issue, but I'll hold judgement until I see him show no ill effect. 

The Texans D should have enough to stymie the Broncos O, but a multi tool back like Phillip Lindsay tends to have good games vs the Texans - and the Texans will be relying on a very depleted secondary, with Jonathan Joseph a game time decision.

I'm actually thinking the Texans lose a very close one, 20-17. Case Keenum has a chip on his shoulder against his original team and has one of those big games he tends to have...

Re: DT I agree it’s a tall order for him to contribute.   If he gets a TD it’s likely off Watson improvisation.  

I think the mismatch for HOU to exploit is Coutee and our RB coverage.  We have literally no answer there.   Coutee playing is huge to this game.  

The other X-factor is that while BoB has had a spotty history in game calling - he called a great plan the past 2 weeks. And DC Crennel knows how to dial up pressure against mistake prone QB’s like Keenum.   I know from reading your team forum BoB is under the microscope.  But this week you likely have a huge coaching edge over VJ & co.  That’s how badly unprepared and unoriginal our coaching’s been.  And worse yet our inability to adapt in-game is excruciating to watch as a fan.

Still Mile High is a great equalizer.  And our biggest strength on D can neutralize a lot of your O’s firepower.   At the end of the day I just trust your QB & coaching way more than ours.  If this was in HOU you’d blow our doors off by 2+ scores. At DEN it’s going to be close but I think we will all be talking about how long VJ has left at game’s end.    

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, germ-x said:

Haha I was going to say, watch DT torch us.  

It is like the story of the rhino and the woodchuck! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope Sutton plays well his first game as a starter, he has looked tremedous. It will be fun to watch Cravens as well, if his head is still in the game.

I hope DT gets a huge ovation from the crowd, and I hope he enjoys playing with a dynamic QB for the first time in years. I expect his numbers to improve quite a bit in Houston.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Because Jordan Akins wears 88 and has played >30 percent of the snaps he can't change jersey #'s in-season.   So, DT will be wearing....87.   If we thought DT in a different jersey would be weird, 87 will add to it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

I hope Sutton plays well his first game as a starter, he has looked tremedous. It will be fun to watch Cravens as well, if his head is still in the game.

I hope DT gets a huge ovation from the crowd, and I hope he enjoys playing with a dynamic QB for the first time in years. I expect his numbers to improve quite a bit in Houston.

 

I hope dt goes off in Houston because I'm not ready to say goodbye to him the player from the nfl. I hope he has a kinda renaissance and can produce at a high level for a couple of more years. Although that would make me feel less from the 4th we got for dt. 

But that 4th is what it is he just wasn't going to have a revival here He just needed a change of scenery. 

I'm shocked at the point spread on this Denver is only getting a point. Thats super low to me. Because of that I could easily see us winning this game.

 

I think Sunday might be Cases best game as a Bronco. He's at home going against a former coach who said he'd never be more than a 3rd stringer.  Case played his best with a chip on his shoulder last year. Hasn't really had one this year but he might have one for this game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

I hope dt goes off in Houston because I'm not ready to say goodbye to him the player from the nfl. I hope he has a kinda renaissance and can produce at a high level for a couple of more years. Although that would make me feel less from the 4th we got for dt. 

But that 4th is what it is he just wasn't going to have a revival here He just needed a change of scenery. 

I'm shocked at the point spread on this Denver is only getting a point. Thats super low to me. Because of that I could easily see us winning this game.

 

I think Sunday might be Cases best game as a Bronco. He's at home going against a former coach who said he'd never be more than a 3rd stringer.  Case played his best with a chip on his shoulder last year. Hasn't really had one this year but he might have one for this game.

Honestly, though, if Keenum needs a chip on his shoulder to play his best game - he has no business being a starting QB.   That kind of narrative is just nuts for a starting QB.   He should playing with that same kind of supposed fire each week.   I have no reason to believe Keenum doesn't go in feeling like he has to prove himself over and over - let's face it, he was 1 week away from potentially losing his job before Chad Kelly decided to go full-moron mode.   And last year, he had the spectre of Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater replacing him, and he was 1 TO away from being benched in the WAS loss late last year.   And then he got pushed aside by the Vikes.    He should be playing with everything to prove each week.   

By all accounts, with Keenum this isn't a work ethic issue, or motivation, etc. It's probably what drove him to stick around when he was just a 3rd stringer.   The problem is that Keenum just isn't that good at actual QB skills.  MIN created the perfect storm, and he faced the 2nd easiest schedule for QB's vs. pass D's.   In a less than perfect situation, against even just a league-average schedule of pass D's...well, we're just seeing the pre-2017 Keenum that was around for 5 prior seasons. 

Having said that, HOU's cornerbacks are their weakest spots on pass D.   So, in theory, this is totally an area for our pass game to exploit.   It's very much a winnable game - any time we are at home, it's a huge advantage even when we face a better-coached and more-talented team.   But, we've heard this tune before, too, so at this stage, a healthy dose of skepticism is more than warranted. 

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Honestly, though, if Keenum needs a chip on his shoulder to play his best game - he has no business being a starting QB.   That kind of narrative is just nuts for a starting QB.   He should playing with that same kind of supposed fire each week.   I have no reason to believe Keenum doesn't go in feeling like he has to prove himself over and over - let's face it, he was 1 week away from potentially losing his job before Chad Kelly decided to go full-moron mode.   And last year, he had the spectre of Sam Bradford and Teddy Bridgewater replacing him, and he was 1 TO away from being benched in the WAS loss late last year.   And then he got pushed aside by the Vikes.    He should be playing with everything to prove each week.   

By all accounts, with Keenum this isn't a work ethic issue, or motivation, etc. It's probably what drove him to stick around when he was just a 3rd stringer.   The problem is that Keenum just isn't that good at actual QB skills.  MIN created the perfect storm, and he faced the 2nd easiest schedule for QB's vs. pass D's.   In a less than perfect situation, against even just a league-average schedule of pass D's...well, we're just seeing the pre-2017 Keenum that was around for 5 prior seasons. 

Having said that, HOU's cornerbacks are their weakest spots on pass D.   So, in theory, this is totally an area for our pass game to exploit.   It's very much a winnable game - any time we are at home, it's a huge advantage even when we face a better-coached and more-talented team.   But, we've heard this tune before, too, so at this stage, a healthy dose of skepticism is more than warranted. 

Last year in Minnesota he was just playing ball there was no pressure on Case realistically.  Essentially he had a chip on his shoulder to remain the starter. This year he got paid 38 million dollars so he probably got a ringing endorsement hey you're our guy. So while there's a ton more pressure on Case to be the guy for us there's no chip on his shoulder because he is the guy right now for this organization There's no plan b.

Basically Case reached the peak of his career last year under a perfect storm. And Elway threw a dart at the board that he could continue that success.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well short handed on the secondary and looks like Patrick gets more PT for another week.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some more notes for this weekend's game:

 

 

 

-Cravens will be very welcome; even if he doesn't pan out at all, at least he offers hope to have some improved TE/RB coverage.   We certainly haven't upgraded that area in the least so far.

-Veldheer or Turner spelling Bolles at LT?  It's a pure stopgap, but one potential good sign is that should a true LT be available in the draft, this would signal that Elway, Kubiak & co. would not be married to the Bolles-LT experiment.    As bad as he's been in pass pro as a LT, a move to RT would at least offer some hope he can be more functional in pass pro there, and a T upgrade overall would do wonders for our pass pro.

-More importantly than just AJ Johnson on ST's, we should see another game with a heavy snap count for Jewell.  The more PT, the better for him to get fully adjusted to the NFL pass game.

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×