Alex Smith

lavar703

On 11/17/2018 at 3:43 AM, aceinthehouse said:

You guys REALLY think Alex was brought in to improve the offense?

That's silly talk.

He was brought in cause he wins. He was brought in cause he doesn't choke under pressure. He was brought in cause he's a leader and well respected around the league. He was brought in cause he's a team player & stats mean nothing to him with the exception to turnovers.

1. As we've said incessantly to this point, wins and losses are a team thing. Alex Smith != Lucky Troll Doll
  2. If he doesn't choke under pressure, what happened at the end of the first half? Before he got his leg destroyed, he threw two ugly picks including one where he just panicked. The pick-six was the ball game there right there.

So when some of you are still complaining about the QB position during your Thanksgiving turkey?

I'll be thinking to myself how we can have the Division wrapped up, by beating Philly that following Mon. Night game & possibly home field advantage if the Rams & Saints lose a couple more games for us.

Well, you certainly set yourself up for a jinx and disappointment with this sentence. Even before what happened on Sunday.

*shakes his head* I don't know how you guys still think it's okay to taunt the Football Gods(tm) after all the Redskins have been through over the past 27 years.

stats mean nothing to him with the exception to turnovers.

One last thing: turnovers are stats. Him caring about turnovers is directly reflected in his play. He refuses to take risks even when it is called for. Case in point: after the Redskins get the ball late in the first half, with only 50 seconds to go and no timeouts, Smith throws into the middle of the field. Why? Because the receiver is open and the chance of a turnover are low.

Doing that is a waste of a down and costs the team a chance at even a field goal.

On 11/18/2018 at 7:18 AM, TheGreeK1973 said:

Great Turtle we are going to jump up and down about a 71 million dollar QB that has thrown a couple of TD passes right now?  Do we win that Carolina game if not for their turnovers?  Just saying.  Smith so far is average and I am being kind.  If there is one player that is holding this team back from being more of a contender is Smith.  And I hope to God I am wrong but I don't see this changing anytime soon if ever while he is the QB..

Average and not turning the ball over wins you game buddy. It’s been that way since football was invented.

I hope Colt can do the same thing Alex was doing, even if he does have a bit of a weaker arm. Colt has to manage the game, not make bad turnovers and mostly just take what the defense is giving him. 

If Colt does that, we should win 3 or 4 games still the rest of this year.

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

but,,but,,, but--That's a whole different argument . I'm not going there. But most of this board still laments not signing Cousins ..WHY? He's a loser. 

Idk.  I don't understand the argument because I don't think he was ever coming back.  Here's some guesses:

1.  We drafted Cousins, we didn't draft the new guy.  So Cousins felt like "our guy".  

2. Retaining Cousins would only have cost us more cap space (who cares really) vs. Fuller and a 3rd round pick.  

3.  Cousins is younger than the current guy so you could argue he still has some upside.  

4. Cousins knew our offense much better than the new guy did.  

5. Cousins had better rapport with our current receiving options, like Reed and Doctson, who have struggled playing with the new guy.  

But again, I don't think Cousins was ever coming back, Bruce and Snyder ensured that.  I don't think not re-signing Cousins was the mistake, it was not getting anything in return for Cousins that is a franchise altering boneheaded that should get everyone involved fired mistake.   Then panicking and trading a quality CB and 3rd round pick for an over-the-hill QB that's never won anything compounded that mistake.  Then giving said over-the-hill never won anything QB a ridiculous contract extension (with a fantastic clause for guaranteed money due to injury) that has me pulling my hair out and drinking heavily.  

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Average and not turning the ball over wins you game buddy. It’s been that way since football was invented.

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1 

24th in the NFL in Passing yards is not "average"

26th in the NFL in completion % (of passers with at least 100 pass attempts this season) is not "average"

31st in the NFL in Average Yards per Completion (of passers with at least 100 pass attempts this season) is not "average"

27th in the NFL in Passing TDs is not "average"

On 11/16/2018 at 10:05 PM, turtle28 said:

I expected growing pains with Smith. I constantly stated how our offense has started slow for as long as I can remember the first month of the season. Especially in 2015-2017. So, I expected the same to happen for Alex especially with him being new and the offense also being new to PRich.

While the offense has started slow for the first month in past seasons, it was 2.5 months under Smith. Also, with the exception of Richardson and to a lesser extent Peterson, all of the other receivers had been here for years.

Yes, I realize it doesn't matter now that he's on IR, but we need to be clear-eyed about our evaluations.

14 minutes ago, Woz said:

While the offense has started slow for the first month in past seasons, it was 2.5 months under Smith. Also, with the exception of Richardson and to a lesser extent Peterson, all of the other receivers had been here for years.

Yes, I realize it doesn't matter now that he's on IR, but we need to be clear-eyed about our evaluations.

And this is like Groundhog Day having this discussion. In 2016 & 17 we just threw it almost every down bc we didn’t have a reliable running back. This year we’ve been pretty balanced which means that Alex didn’t get the high number attempts - except for a few games when we were behind - that Cousins got. 

I know we have amnesia in this forum but last year when we beat the Rams in LA, Cousins only threw for 179 yards and the game winnng TD. 

Did I care? No, I liked Cousins and was a fan of his and I was elated we won even though Kirk missed both CT and Doctson for probable TDs during the game.

Now, others in the forum who weren’t sold on Cousins and didn’t want him here anymore were throwing a fit, but that wasn’t me.

43 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

but,,but,,, but--That's a whole different argument . I'm not going there. But most of this board still laments not signing Cousins ..WHY? He's a loser. 

I think you're creatin a straw man. Or at least a series of smaller straw men. I wanted to sign him during his first season as a starter. I still wanted to sign him (or trade him) after his second season. But gafter 2017? Nope. I'm pretty sure that is the lament of quite a few of the posters here as well. I'm almost 100% sure it is for @lavar703. Because I know we argued for letting him walk now that it was 2018 and we couldn't get anything for him. 

The key point here is that we WENT AND TRADED FOR Smith...WHILE COUSINS WAS STILL ON THE ROSTER! It wasn't like we didn't have a QB. We actually had two QBs on the roster. So anyone telling us the only option to Cousins was Smith is either naive or disingenuous. We had plenty of other options if we wanted to walk away from Kirk. And I think what we did instead of handling Cousins' situation well in the previous 2-3 years was to rub salt in the wound by trading for Smith while showing Kirk the door (and getting nothing for him). 

I mean, the Pats seem to get high draft picks whenever they get rid of QBs they don't want. We could've easily traded Cousins for a 1st after the 2016 season when it became apparent he didn't want to play for us and we didn't want to pay him what he wanted.

43 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Idk.  I don't understand the argument because I don't think he was ever coming back.  Here's some guesses:

1.  We drafted Cousins, we didn't draft the new guy.  So Cousins felt like "our guy".  

2. Retaining Cousins would only have cost us more cap space (who cares really) vs. Fuller and a 3rd round pick.  

3.  Cousins is younger than the current guy so you could argue he still has some upside.  

4. Cousins knew our offense much better than the new guy did.  

5. Cousins had better rapport with our current receiving options, like Reed and Doctson, who have struggled playing with the new guy.  

But again, I don't think Cousins was ever coming back, Bruce and Snyder ensured that.  I don't think not re-signing Cousins was the mistake, it was not getting anything in return for Cousins that is a franchise altering boneheaded that should get everyone involved fired mistake.   Then panicking and trading a quality CB and 3rd round pick for an over-the-hill QB that's never won anything compounded that mistake.  Then giving said over-the-hill never won anything QB a ridiculous contract extension (with a fantastic clause for guaranteed money due to injury) that has me pulling my hair out and drinking heavily.  

Ok...sorry @RSkinGM, @MKnight82said it better than me.

Apologies, I have a screaming 7month old in my ear drawing focus right now.

46 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?tabSeq=0&statisticCategory=PASSING&conference=null&season=2018&seasonType=REG&d-447263-s=PASSING_YARDS&d-447263-o=2&d-447263-n=1 

26th in the NFL in completion % (of passers with at least 100 pass attempts this season) is not "average"

31st in the NFL in Average Yards per Completion (of passers with at least 100 pass attempts this season) is not "average"

The differences between him being around 15th in those stats are not great, and if CT, Crowder and Quinn hadn't missed a combined 20 games this season, his stats would’ve been better anyways.

MK explained most eloquently why most of the fan base wanted him resigned. I see his point. I still think he's a loser Bum ! 9_9

BTW- NFL Network just critiqued him ( Actually skewered him ! ) on his game against the Bears. Missed wide open guys, and the two interceptions. The pick six he had a wide open receiver for a nice 10 yard gain but he picked the riskier option and got burned.

58 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

The differences between him being around 15th in those stats are not great, and if CT, Crowder and Quinn hadn't missed a combined 20 games this season, his stats would’ve been better anyways. Also, if we weren’t running as much with AD he’d have all those beautiful volume passing stats and we’d probably be 4-6 right now instead of 6-4.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

The differences between him being around 15th in those stats are not great, and if CT, Crowder and Quinn hadn't missed a combined 20 games this season, his stats would’ve been better anyways. Also, if we weren’t running as much with AD he’d have all those beautiful volume passing stats and we’d probably be 4-6 right now instead of 6-4.

tenor.gif?itemid=3527785

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Trading for Alex Smith was never going to improve the team.  It was blatantly obvious from the beginning.  

That wasn’t the point of trading for him. The point of trading for him was to nearly hold serve at QB while freeing up some cap space to spend to keep our own free agents this year like Scherff, Crowder and PSmith. With that cap space we were also able to re-sign Zach Brown and sign PRich. Sadly, PRich got hurt just like Alex.

The culmination of that and the addition of AD turned us from a .500 or just below a .500 year in 2016 & 2017 to a team that is 6-4 after 10 games this year.

8 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

MK explained most eloquently why most of the fan base wanted him resigned. I see his point. I still think he's a loser Bum ! 9_9

BTW- NFL Network just critiqued him ( Actually skewered him ! ) on his game against the Bears. Missed wide open guys, and the two interceptions. The pick six he had a wide open receiver for a nice 10 yard gain but he picked the riskier option and got burned.

Don't misunderstand. I don't think it was one of his better games, at all. I don't mind the riskier throw as I think the S just made a great play. But I do agree he had the wide open receiver and he missed seeing it.

Archived