Alex Smith

lavar703

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That wasn’t the point of trading for him. The point of trading for him was to nearly hold serve at QB while freeing up some cap space to spend to keep our own free agents this year like Scherff, Crowder and PSmith. With that cap space we were also able to re-sign Zach Brown and sign PRich. Sadly, PRich got hurt just like Alex.

The culmination of that and the addition of AD turned us from a .500 or just below a .500 year in 2016 & 2017 to a team that is 6-4 after 10 games this year.

So, the addition of Alex Smith was to make us somewhere between 1-2 games better through 10?

It's really AP and the D, but okay.

Also... all that for a 1 game improvement? Meh.

5 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

That wasn’t the point of trading for him. The point of trading for him was to nearly hold serve at QB while freeing up some cap space to spend to keep our own free agents this year like Scherff, Crowder and PSmith. With that cap space we were also able to re-sign Zach Brown and sign PRich. Sadly, PRich got hurt just like Alex.

Could've had a ton more of cap space without trading for him AND giving him a $71M extension that is now fully guaranteed (at least in terms of the money that was conditionally guaranteed). I don't think we held serve at QB" at all. I think we actually got worse. And the only reason we have a marginally better record at this point is MVP + our Defense + relative healthiness this far into the season (before you go on about injuries, I'll point out that the OL was mostly intact this season until about a week or so ago. Last season, we started dropping OL in September.

sheesh turtle beat that dead horse some more.Alex Smith is the reason we are not 7-2 instead of 6-4.He was incapable of moving the team down field when the team was behind.Too careful is just as bad as careless.We did not have a single lead change in any game with Smith at QB.We had to wait for McCoy to take over to have our first lead change of the season.Lol.You defending Smith just like you do with every other Redskin scrub starter is just amusing.Keep it up,the forum needs a good laugh. ;)

2 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Our $71M + Fuller + 3rd rounder man threw a pick 6. Was the difference in the game. 

Why did we trade for that fraud?

I’ll take 6-4 all day over what’s happening in Minny where they look worse this year than last year when they had Keenum - except for Cousins and the WRs.

I don’t know why this is, it’s an enigma to me. But, almost every game that Kirk has played in as a QB the running game has been inconsistent or flat out poor. Again, I can’t say it’s his fault, but there’s something there. 

The Vikings had a solid running game last year even despite Cook tearing his ACL. Murray was pretty good, this year they’re trash. 

Again, I don’t know why this is, but it is a Thing.

3 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I’ll take 6-4 all day over what’s happening in Minny where they look worse this year than last year when they had Keenum - except for Cousins and the WRs.

I don’t know why this is, it’s an enigma to me. But, almost every game that Kirk has played in as a QB the running game has been inconsistent or flat out poor. Again, I can’t say it’s his fault, but there’s something there. 

The Vikings had a solid running game this year even despite Cook tearing his ACL. Murray was pretty good, this year they’re trash. 

Again, I don’t know why this is, but it is a Thing.

Their OL is just not blocking as well as they did last year. At least from the games I've watched.

6 minutes ago, TKellion said:

Alex Smith is the reason we are not 7-2 instead of 6-4.He was incapable of moving the team down field when the team was behind.Too careful is just as bad as careless.We did not have a single lead change in any game with Smith at QB.We had to wait for McCoy to take over to have our first lead change of the season.

This is instructive when you pan out and take a look at it from the 10,000 ft level

Just now, turtle28 said:

The differences between him being around 15th in those stats are not great, and if CT, Crowder and Quinn hadn't missed a combined 20 games this season, his stats would’ve been better anyways.

1. There's a difference in being bottom quartile and median.
  2. Are you saying that the bar for success is just median play now?

1 minute ago, RSkinGM said:

Let's say his career is over after this injury ( Easy to believe - so much like Joey T's ! ) His contract becomes guaranteed- do we take the entire cap hit next year ?

I think, and I'm NOT sure, that all of the potential guaranteed stuff we had in the contract become fully guaranteed for injury.

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

Their OL is just not blocking as well as they did last year. At least from the games I've watched.

It’s more than that I think. I think - just like what we did when Kirk was here - we got too pass happy. Then, when you do that the running game doesn’t get in a flow. They’re not driving off the ball well and in unison which becomes a huge problem, especially in the Red Zone.

Archived