Vikings Sign: Ameer Abdullah

The Gnat

He's a decent kickoff return man. But is that role worthy of a roster spot? Sherells, Weinke, and others can return kicks adequately. What percentage of kickoffs are being returned with the new rules in place? I'm noticing very few. I like Cooke, Murray, and Boone at RB all more than Abdullah. I view this more as simply a depth signing since Roc is hurt. Spielman does tend to take chances on high draft picks, assumingly because of superior measurables. Unless he stands out in practice, I expect him to be inactive on game days unless another RB suffers from injury. i give this move a resounding meh for Minnesota. The Lion's fans I'm surrounded by have been clamoring to dump him since they drafted Johnson and picked up Blount.

I really like this signing. If he can stay healthy, which he should because I don't expect us to be pounding him between the tackles, he could provide great fresh legs late in the game. Nothing is worse than having a team with a big back (Murray) smashing the defense, then trying to tackle someone elusive as Abdullah. 

36 minutes ago, KeithVikings28 said:

I really like this signing. If he can stay healthy, which he should because I don't expect us to be pounding him between the tackles, he could provide great fresh legs late in the game. Nothing is worse than having a team with a big back (Murray) smashing the defense, then trying to tackle someone elusive as Abdullah. 

I don't know if Abdullah offers much more than what Boone already provides. 

21 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

And Boone isn't providing much himself. A few decent plays, but the residual glow from a great preseason is definitely fading.

Still, Ameer is a fresh face on the team and that alone could be the difference. He's got the bye week to get ready, and if he distinguishes himself vs. Chicago he could be off and running (no pun intended).

Abdullah: “Man, life is amazingly unpredictable. I’m excited to be here. It’s a great team, great culture, great atmosphere to be joining. Ironically, it’s in the same division, so everything happens for a reason, and I’m really excited to be here in Minnesota. I’m happy to have already built relationships with a lot of guys here [he trained with Vikings linebackers Anthony Barr and Eric Kendricks in California this offseason.] They welcomed me in with a warm welcome and have helped with everything — learning when we need to be here or go there, to different lifts and stuff I haven’t done before. I really appreciate it, because you never know how it’s going to be changing midseason, especially to a division rival team. It’s everything I would have hoped for.”

“I’m sure we’ll get more into the nooks and crannies of things as the week progresses, but right now I’m just trying to figure out how I can get into the gate with the code to the door so I won’t be locked out in the cold. I’m entering a backfield with a lot of talent with Dalvin and Latavius and all of the guys who have been here. Just to come in today and see these guys welcome me the way they have, it’s been amazing. It does a lot for my confidence and a lot for my focus. I’m ready to work. Anything the Vikings ask me to do, I’m willing to do just because I’m so appreciative of the opportunity.”

Abdullah saw a familiar face right away with the Vikings as his locker is next to left tackle Riley Reiff, who played with Abdullah in Detroit in 2015 and 2016. Abdullah, who said he was “blown away” by the facilities at Twin Cities Orthopedics Performance Center, said he spent the weekend focusing on the transition to Minnesota.

https://www.vikings.com/news/ameer-abdullah-excited-to-join-great-culture-team-and-atmosphere-of-vikings?sf202120626=1

On 11/10/2018 at 12:22 PM, vikingsrule said:

Veteran experience, better pass catcher, little more top end speed, special teams. 

Also, this isn’t really much of a Boone replacement. It’s just a Roc replacement. 

He can really help out even the defense in practice being the Tarik Cohen on the scout team offense. 

Its not all about what these guys can do on game day. 

He is instantly better and has far more experience that someone like Roc. 

As a team, we got better, even if he isn’t making an impact on game day.

In parts of three NFL seasons, Abdullah is averaging 27.8 yards per kickoff return. He did most of his damage during his rookie season out of Nebraska, finishing second in the league with a 29.1-yard average for the Lions.

Mike Priefer: “We have to wait and see if he’s going to be active or not. Obviously, that’s up to Coach Zimmer and what he wants to do with the roster. If we had his services available, I would like to use him as a kickoff returner. He fits right into what we want at that position. He was our No. 1 returner we had ranked coming out, he’s got what I like to call running back vision. He’s a running back that has that type of vision as a returner, and not every returner has that.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/15/ameer-abdullah-brings-adapt-or-die-mentality-into-opportunity-with-vikingsif-ameer-abdullah-is-active-this-weekend-hell-return-kickoffs-for-vikings/

1 hour ago, vike daddy said:

In parts of three NFL seasons, Abdullah is averaging 27.8 yards per kickoff return. He did most of his damage during his rookie season out of Nebraska, finishing second in the league with a 29.1-yard average for the Lions.

Mike Priefer: “We have to wait and see if he’s going to be active or not. Obviously, that’s up to Coach Zimmer and what he wants to do with the roster. If we had his services available, I would like to use him as a kickoff returner. He fits right into what we want at that position. He was our No. 1 returner we had ranked coming out, he’s got what I like to call running back vision. He’s a running back that has that type of vision as a returner, and not every returner has that.”

https://www.twincities.com/2018/11/15/ameer-abdullah-brings-adapt-or-die-mentality-into-opportunity-with-vikingsif-ameer-abdullah-is-active-this-weekend-hell-return-kickoffs-for-vikings/

I hadn't thought about it right away, but it makes sense that this was a big reason of why we brought him in.

Archived