What can they do to take some pressure off the defense?

y*so*blu

The defense showed a lot of promise last year and played the biggest part in our 5-0 start. Then we went into a slide because the offense wasn't measuring up and the defense got worn out from carrying the load. What can we do on offense and special teams to keep this season from turning out like the last one?

The defense has to own its own slide. They've consistently gotten worse down the stretch. This can't happen if we want to call them elite.

they could benefit from having a more competent offense. I think it starts with the run game and creating shorter third down distances. 

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

The defense has to own its own slide. They've consistently gotten worse down the stretch. This can't happen if we want to call them elite.

they could benefit from having a more competent offense. I think it starts with the run game and creating shorter third down distances. 

Agreed.  I think we need to hold the defense accountable for their performance, separate from what the offense and special teams groups are doing.  I need to go back and watch last night's game again, but on first impression we really need to get a better push from the DT spot.  Too many lanes for the rushing game.  Both Buffalo and Seattle were able to get to the second level too easily.  I'd really like to get Waynes back in at CB too.  He can be a bit too physical sometimes, but we needed that last night with the separation that Seattle's WR corps was able to get.

Have the offensive line play like they did last night, opening up the run game.

I'm not a big fan of building the offense around the RB, but I think if we are to be successful, that's what we must do.

With our defense, and solid special teams (that may be an understatement), I think a great run game and average QB play at minimum gets us into the playoffs.

6 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

No defense should be expected to hold its opponents down to under 17 points in order to win. That's just not sustainable.

Vikings were 1-7 when the opponents scored 17 or more points.
Vikings were 7-1 when the opponents scored 16 or fewer points.

The offense needs to get that point threshhold up to at least 21 points.

No one discussed the possible contributions of special teams regarding greater success of the defense.  So, I'll give it a try.

The special teams return units could score a TD on several of the punts or KOs they receive.  On the extra point, they could convert every one.

On kickoff or punts, the kick coverage special team units could force and recover fumbles.

The D would (almost) never have to take the field; they could sit on the bench, eat an energy bar, or a lutefisk sammich, and watch the O and ST units win games. ;)

20-3 under Zimmer when they score at least 21 points. That's basically scoring an average of 1 more point per game than they did in 2016. 

With this defense, and the generally favorable field position that they put the offense in, it shouldn't be difficult, or a challenge for this team to consistently put up 21 or more points per game. 

Archived