Who is having a better season Jalen Ramsey or Adoree Jackson?

dtait93

Which CB is having the better season so far? 

Routes Defended: Ramsey - 252 Jackson - 250

Receptions Allowed: Ramsey - 37 Jackson - 31

Yards Allowed: Ramsey - 434 Jackson - 413

Yards per Reception AllowedRamsey - 11.1 Jackson - 13.3

Targets Allowed: Ramsey - 59 Jackson - 57

Yards per Target Allowed: Ramsey - 7.4 Jackson - 7.2

Pass Break UpsRamsey - 5 Jackson - 4

Touchdowns Allowed: Ramsey - 1 Jackson - 1

Interceptions: Ramsey - 1 Jackson - 2

Target Separation: Ramsey - 1.00 Jackson - 1.07

Burn Rate (5+ yards of separation created by WR): Ramsey - 1.7% Jackson 1.8%

Catch Rate Allowed: Ramsey - 62.7% Jackson - 54.4%

Passer Rating Allowed: Ramsey - 83.6 Jackson - 68.8

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/jalen-ramsey/

https://www.playerprofiler.com/nfl/adoree-jackson/

As much hype as Jalen Ramsey receives (and rightfully so) it seems to me that Adoree Jackson is having the better season so far.  He has given up less yards and receptions, has more interceptions, has given up an equal amount of touchdowns, has a lower catch rate allowed, and forces an astronomically lower passer rating. Do you think Adoree has been the better CB so far this year? Or vice versa?

19 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What about opposing offenses and/or WR's? Not saying one way or the other but competition is important here in order for those statistics to really matter. 

I will do some more digging and post what I find.

45 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

What about opposing offenses and/or WR's? Not saying one way or the other but competition is important here in order for those statistics to really matter. 

I know they both played against Hopkins this season - I feel as if Hopkins did better against Ramsey. Jackson had a mind blowing INT where he out jumped Hopkins in the end zone on a go route - it's a bread-and-butter play that Hopkins usually thrives on, but Jackson made a hell of a play. 

I'll say that - on that particular play - Jackson had help underneath from Kevin Byard. I can't recall Ramsey ever getting help in coverage like that, they usually let him go heads up vs Hopkins (which makes for one hell of a matchup).

6 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I know they both played against Hopkins this season - I feel as if Hopkins did better against Ramsey. Jackson had a mind blowing INT where he out jumped Hopkins in the end zone on a go route - it's a bread-and-butter play that Hopkins usually thrives on, but Jackson made a hell of a play. 

I'll say that - on that particular play - Jackson had help underneath from Kevin Byard. I can't recall Ramsey ever getting help in coverage like that, they usually let him go heads up vs Hopkins (which makes for one hell of a matchup).

It’s weird that the link has Jackson on Fuller 100% of the time?

39 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Yep Jackson did indeed have help from Byard. In bracket coverage at that. Edit: Watson should have targeted Fuller on that play because he had his man by a couple steps.

giphy.gif

Just before that play, Jackson was lined up in man coverage against Fuller and gave up 7 yards on a 3rd down.

Earlier in the game, Jackson was lined up with Hokpins in man coverage and drew a DPI call that was somehow blamed on Brown. 

2 minutes ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Yep Jackson did indeed have help from Byard. In bracket coverage at that. Edit: Watson should have targeted Fuller on that play because he had his man by a couple steps.

giphy.gif

Just before that play, Jackson was lined up in man coverage against Fuller and gave up 7 yards on a 3rd down.

Earlier in the game, Jackson was lined up with Hokpins in man coverage and drew a DPI call that was somehow blamed on Brown. 

That wasn't Fuller was it?  I thought Fuller was #15.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Which play you talking about? The gif is Hopkins. the play before the INT that got the Texans a first down on 3rd down was Fuller.

You said Watson should have targeted Fuller.  Are you talking about the play with the INT?

10 minutes ago, Jlowe22 said:

Are they accurate though? 

Eh, the more CB metrics the better I say. It's a subjective task by nature so neither PFF or FO, other two CB charters that come to mind, are going to truly be "accurate." Gives you a good idea though, and I like this whole "burn rate" and how they track yards of separation. At the very least, you know a CB with bottom ranks across the board is playing worse than a CB with top ranks. Just another tool to the tool shed!

Only a matter of time before NFL NextGen starts tracking CBs the way they have started tracking WRs, and those I think will quickly become the gold standard CB numbers.

Archived