You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I'm with you on this one.  At this point, I'm pretty damn close to saying throw everything at Lincoln Riley short of full personnel control.  And as a Sooners fan, I'd rather him stick around.

Riley, Shaw, Bieniemy, Defilippo and McDaniels I'd all take over Carmichael.

9 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm unsure on McDaniels .. if he is at a point in his life where he just wants to be a head coach and can focus on that instead of being a tyrant he's probably one of the brightest minds out there.  There was talk he and Gute got to know each other a bit this past year .. maybe it's a fit.  

I like the idea of Arians despite the age .. he's an innovator, and is pretty much no-nonsense.  He keeps insisting he's only interested in the Browns, but you'd have to think he's holding off saying anything about jobs that aren't open yet.

Lincoln Riley .. brilliant offensive mind ... right up there with the best that level has to offer.

DeFilippo ... called a good game tonight .. might be a fit and might also retain Pettine.  Pettine is getting quite a bit more from his defense than Mac is getting from his offense.

Jim Harbaugh .. guy can coach, so we'd be silly not to be interested if he's available.

Arians is my top choice.  I think he would bring a more proven track record of having NFL success and would be able to get Rodgers to use the whole field and all the assets the offense has.  

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Riley, Shaw, Bieniemy, Defilippo and McDaniels I'd all take over Carmichael.

I don't honestly get the infatuation with David Shaw tbh.  Fantastic college HC, but he's not going to be a good NFL HC IMO.  DeFilippo is the "safe" coach, and there's probably a strong chance he's going to want to keep Pettine around.  Given the fact McDaniels had personnel control with Denver, and completely ran out of the Colts gig is he going to want to work with the mandate of keeping Pettine?  I'd think not.  Bieniemy is an interesting name who I haven't really dug into.  Reid calls plays though.

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Arians is my top choice.  I think he would bring a more proven track record of having NFL success and would be able to get Rodgers to use the whole field and all the assets the offense has.  

Yes...a guy who is one foot into retirement is exactly the HC I don't want for the Packers.

Just now, beekay414 said:

My preference is Arians with a young OC as the coach in waiting. Arians for the last window with Rodgers and the young guy for after.

This might be the only scenario I'd be okay with Arians at, but even then you're running the risk up that up and coming OC being plucked away.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

My preference is Arians with a young OC as the coach in waiting. Arians for the last window with Rodgers and the young guy for after.

Arians if he wants it would be the hire. I've always wanted a vet coach tied to Rodgers career. Start a new regime with a new coach and QB.

If Arians couldn't get Aaron back on track, he's a lost cause.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Yes...a guy who is one foot into retirement is exactly the HC I don't want for the Packers.

Really? That's what I want. I want a coach looking at the end of his career just like Aaron, starving for a ring.

Not a guy who's OK riding Aaron to 11-5 seasons knowing he'll get a shot to develop the next guy. Now Arians is the only one who fits that criteria, so it's him or a young gun.

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

This might be the only scenario I'd be okay with Arians at, but even then you're running the risk up that up and coming OC being plucked away.

Then pull another one lol. They're will always be young and up and coming coaches.

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

So you want to rebuild then? Because no young coach is going to come in and change Rodgers. 

I've been on record as you want someone whose not afraid to challenge Rodgers, and stimulating him mentally.  I don't buy for a second that Rodgers can't be challenged.  It's pretty damn clear that Rodgers doesn't respect McCarthy anymore, and whatever he's saying is going in Aaron's ear and out the other.  Otherwise, we wouldn't have a repeat of the same issues over and over again.  When your HC and QB are on different pages, the offense is never going to work.

Archived