You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

1 hour ago, TheBitzMan said:

He wasn't getting an OC job after the world just watched Hundley, a guy who him and MM groomed, completely stink it up. There is absolutely 0% chance Rodgers goes on a national radio program complaining about AVP not being retained if AVP didn't want to be retained. 

It's pretty clear that Rodgers valued that relationship and if you believe the sourcing in the article MM was upset that AVP had Rodgers' ear. This seems to me a power move by McCarthy that backfired. 

So you're in the camp that thinks both MM and AVP lied when they stated the decision had been made a year ago and that AVP "looks forward not backward"?

It's completely impossible in your mind that AVP kept some of his professional goals from his employee?

1 minute ago, Slinky said:

Aaron had been GREAT under Van Pelt. For the Packers to decide to let Van Pelt walk is asinine in itself. The fact that they did it without talking to Aaron first was even more dumb. 

That was weird, and I'm sure Rodgers took it as a shot across the bow from McCarthy.  It definitely didn't help their relationship, which already was probably rocky.

3 hours ago, Leader said:

Question - is this matter of AVP so critical that it warrants this degree of micro-surgery?
Is it being implied that this matter has bearing on where we are today as a team?
I mean - I guess liked the guy - hardly knew him - but certainly never realized he was the keystone to our entire operation.

If so - lets get him back!
"You wanna be an OC? Well how's about finally getting that position AND having your favorite QB to structure plays for!"

No.

Yes.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

So you're in the camp that thinks both MM and AVP lied when they stated the decision had been made a year ago and that AVP "looks forward not backward"?

It's completely impossible in your mind that AVP kept some of his professional goals from his employee?

Things can't change over a year?  The world just watched Hundley suck, I doubt AVP's phone is ringing off the hook with OC jobs after that. You're a McCarthy supporter and I get it but either way it was a huge mistake to let AVP go. 

Knowing what you know about Rodgers, do you think Rodgers creates the media storm in the offseason without knowing what AVP actually wanted? You also think that Rodgers is AVP's employee? That is LOL funny. Rodgers has much more control in that relationship than AVP. 

Just now, vegas492 said:

Did Rodgers sign his extension before or after Van Pelt left?

I think he signed it like 8 months after Van Pelt left.

I'm thinking that this molehole has become a mountain for no real reason.

It's a big issue because now we have a 3rd string UDFA QB relaying why our QB changed a play to our head coach. That is about as dysfunctional as it gets. 

The details of why may not matter but letting AVP go was clearly a mistake. 

2 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

Things can't change over a year?  The world just watched Hundley suck, I doubt AVP's phone is ringing off the hook with OC jobs after that. You're a McCarthy supporter and I get it but either way it was a huge mistake to let AVP go. 

Knowing what you know about Rodgers, do you think Rodgers creates the media storm in the offseason without knowing what AVP actually wanted? You also think that Rodgers is AVP's employee? That is LOL funny. Rodgers has much more control in that relationship than AVP. 

He is his frickin coach lol. He isn't going to share his career goals with someone under him very likely. Do your supervisors consult you when they look to move on? I know mine don't. I find out sometime after they put their two weeks in to THEIR supervisors.

I don't understand why some people don't recognize the actual hierarchy here...

Also, there wasn't a media storm whatsoever 😂 there were a couple articles that quoted Rodgers as a part of the overall story of coaching changes in general.

Some people here just want to turn this weirdly into another shot at mcCarthy but it doesn't hold any water when the facts are examined.

4 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

It's a big issue because now we have a 3rd string UDFA QB relaying why our QB changed a play to our head coach. That is about as dysfunctional as it gets. 

The details of why may not matter but letting AVP go was clearly a mistake. 

Isn't the discussion revolving around how Rodgers felt as it relates to Van Pelt?  Not saying letting AVP wasn't a mistake.  Am saying that Rodgers didn't let that decision keep him from signing his extension, so it probably wasn't that big of deal to HIM at that time.

Jason Garrett is about to be another example of how experienced head coaches can pay dividends if you stick with them and give them the talent they need to turn the team around.  

You think McCarthy has made some boneheaded decisions and failed his team... Just look at Garrett a year ago all the way to three weeks ago and look at him now.

3 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

This is also unnecessarily under a microscope.

Backup QBs on literally EVERY team have this type of communication as part of their duties...

Unless you want Aaron to walk over to the sideline to consult with MM while the playclock is ticking, who is better suited to relay the call than the backup QB?

Perhaps the QB coach, I suppose.

Because MM isn't the QB coach. He has 10x the work volume the QBs room does. They focus on QB specific stuff. MM can't be expected to know every single detail they do.

He relies on others (delegates) on issues exactly like this.

Looks like exactly how a complex system SHOULD be running.

Just now, incognito_man said:

He is his frickin coach lol. He isn't going to share his career goals with someone under him very likely. Do your supervisors consult you when they look to move on? I know mine don't. I find out sometime after they put their two weeks in to THEIR supervisors.

I don't understand why some people don't recognize the actual hierarchy here...

Also, there wasn't a media storm whatsoever 😂 there were a couple articles that quoted Rodgers as a part of the overall story of coaching changes in general.

Some people here just want to turn this weirdly into another shot at mcCarthy but it doesn't hold any water when the facts are examined.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-on-packers-letting-qb-coach-go-that-was-an-interesting-decision/

https://nypost.com/2018/02/01/aaron-rodgers-angry-at-how-packers-fired-qb-coach/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/01/aaron-rodgers-quarterback-coach-packers-alex-van-pelt-fired

https://thebiglead.com/2018/02/01/aaron-rodgers-sounds-dismayed-his-qb-coach-alex-van-pelt-was-let-go-without-consultation/

It was a national sports story, you can downplay it all you want. You are just completely wrong about that. 

You are arguing that AVP held his career goals from the one person who could help him achieve those goals. The NFL is not your or my job, the hierarchy you suggest doesn't exist. If it did we would be keeping McCarthy and sending Rodgers somewhere else. 

2 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Isn't the discussion revolving around how Rodgers felt as it relates to Van Pelt?  Not saying letting AVP wasn't a mistake.  Am saying that Rodgers didn't let that decision keep him from signing his extension, so it probably wasn't that big of deal to HIM at that time.

That may be true if Rodgers was about to be a free agent. Rodgers didn't have the leverage to holdout potentially 4 years to get the contract he got. 

6 minutes ago, TheBitzMan said:

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/aaron-rodgers-on-packers-letting-qb-coach-go-that-was-an-interesting-decision/

https://nypost.com/2018/02/01/aaron-rodgers-angry-at-how-packers-fired-qb-coach/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/02/01/aaron-rodgers-quarterback-coach-packers-alex-van-pelt-fired

https://thebiglead.com/2018/02/01/aaron-rodgers-sounds-dismayed-his-qb-coach-alex-van-pelt-was-let-go-without-consultation/

It was a national sports story, you can downplay it all you want. You are just completely wrong about that. 

You are arguing that AVP held his career goals from the one person who could help him achieve those goals. The NFL is not your or my job, the hierarchy you suggest doesn't exist. If it did we would be keeping McCarthy and sending Rodgers somewhere else. 

We have very different definitions of a media storm 😂

The hierarchy I described does exist exactly as I described it.

Do you truly believe that AVP lists Aaron in his references on his CV? Not a chance. MM was the guy fully in charge of AVPs career advancement. Not Aaron. MM is the guy who would block AVP interviews. MM is the guy who makes the decision to hire or fire or extend. Not Aaron (obviously, because that's the whole point of this ridiculous discussion).

If the hierarchy was as you suggested, Aaron WOULD have been consulted and none of this story would have ever happened...

Archived