You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:
1 hour ago, JBURGE said:

I can't wait until all of this is over, my god. This forum sucks to read this past year

Draft Day 2019 my friend. Nothing like two 1st round picks to rejuvenate the gang at FF. 

Until we draft K'Neal Harry or DK Metcalf with one of the 1sts

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:
8 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Until we draft K'Neal Harry or DK Metcalf with one of the 1sts

Everyone other than Outpost would be excited about that. Not that I advocate for high pick WRs, but once he was officially drafted you couldn't help but be excited to see a WR like that with Aaron.

Obviously depends on how the board falls and how we attack FA, but I'm all for one of them as long as we're not trading up in the top 10 or something for Neal 

7 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Obviously depends on how the board falls and how we attack FA, but I'm all for one of them as long as we're not trading up in the top 10 or something for Neal 

Pretty much the same -- honestly. I'm just going to trust the process. I really like what Gute did in his first offseason and can't wait to see what he can do with a bit more going for him this year. 

6 minutes ago, Nick_gb said:
14 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

Pretty much the same -- honestly. I'm just going to trust the process. I really like what Gute did in his first offseason and can't wait to see what he can do with a bit more going for him this year. 

Me too. I'm pretty excited to see what Gute does in his first full season. What I would love to see us come away with are:

Offense
- starting WR
- offensive gadget player who can play 30-40% of snaps and move around a la Cohen
- OT who can take over for Bulaga in 2020, and maybe even 2019
- OG who is league average to replace RG (this could be the same person as above)

Defense
- rotational DL to take snaps from Clark and Daniels (Wilk?)
- DL depth
- starting caliber EDGE
- depth EDGE
- CB depth (Breeland?)
- starting caliber safety, ideally 2

With both the draft and FA I'm confident Gute can nail what he wants to do

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

I do not love McCarthy.  I'm probably more centered on McCarthy than literally anyone here.  He's not the best, but you can do a whole lot worse, and doing any better is a risk. 

And sticking with McCarthy doesn't have it's own share of risks?

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Did Rodgers sign his extension before or after Van Pelt left?

I think he signed it like 8 months after Van Pelt left.

I'm thinking that this molehole has become a mountain for no real reason.

All I speculated was I thought perhaps Rodgers may not have the same working relationship with his current position coach like he had with both Clements and AVP and it might be one of the causes for Aaron's struggles this year.

4 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

Jason Garrett is about to be another example of how experienced head coaches can pay dividends if you stick with them and give them the talent they need to turn the team around.  

You think McCarthy has made some boneheaded decisions and failed his team... Just look at Garrett a year ago all the way to three weeks ago and look at him now.

You mean the same HC that Cowboys' fans are clamoring to fire?  They're 20th in PPG and 21st in DVOA I believe.  And that's coming from a guy whose supposed to be a great offensive mind.  Let's not make any mistake about this.  The Cowboys are in the playoffs mix for two reasons.  One, they're fielding a legitimate defense.  And two, the Redskins losing Alex Smith.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Absolutely I do.  Just like I put blame on Belichick for his poor drafting.  Just like I put blame on a lot of really good head coaches.  No head coach is perfect.  There are things McCarthy does that drive me absolutely insane.  Absolutely INSANE.  I don't sit there watching games screaming, "Way to go, McCarthy!"  I don't even like McCarthy.  If I had a choice between head coaches starting a new franchise and not considering what happens when a change is made, McCarthy probably doesn't crack the top 5 for me.  He most certainly absolutely cracks the top ten available head coaches based on his body of work and other things (such as how well he coaches offensive linemen), but he certainly isn't my favorite head coach, and I do NOT, contrary to believe, love him. 

I do not love McCarthy.  I'm probably more centered on McCarthy than literally anyone here.  He's not the best, but you can do a whole lot worse, and doing any better is a risk. 

Let me repeat that because I think it's extremely unacknowledged here:

McCarthy is not the best.  You can do a whole lot worse.  Whether or not you can upgrade is a risk.

Line for line:

McCarthy is not the best.  He has faults. 

You can do a whole lot worse.  A lot of things McCarthy does very well that get neglected here could easily turn to weaknesses.  Another coach could get less out of his offensive linemen.  Another head coach could get less out of our defensive personnel.  Hell, another head coach could START poorly with Rodgers and THAT could get worse. 

Whether or not you can upgrade is a risk.  There has not been one head coach hired where the hiring GM has thought they would fail miserably.  A LOT of head coaches have failed miserably. 

The haters purely and wholly hate him.  They're more irrational than I am. 

I don't believe those here who believe or want MM gone hate him.   We feel it is time to part ways for a variety of reasons.  If Murphy decides to go in another direction it might not work out but I just don't see things getting any better if we stay the course.   Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result?

I'm all for looking at moving on if MM  can't pull some miracle turn around, but the hate against him ( and TT for that matter) is just getting ridiculous. People act like he's accomplished nothing just because he had consistent/expectational QB play (and that he doesn't get any credit for it).

Sure he had a great QBs for the vast majority of the games he coached, but so did the other successful coaches over the last decade like Belichek, Peyton, and Tomlin. 

Peyton went 7-9 for 4/5 seasons before this year and had a season of bountygate.

Tomlin had back to back 8-8 seasons. MM also beat Tomlin in a superbowl

This is honestly MM's only "bad" season that can't be attributed to losing your starting QB to injury or being his first year.

And as far as the front office aspect of it, yes obviously TT dropped off, but what other team in the NFL has been able to surpass that level of winning over the past decade or so? It gets hard with mega QB contracts and late round draft picks. Over time it gets harder and harder to develop your talent pool as you have success. That's kind of how the NFL is designed to have some parity. The patriots are the only team who has really been able to outperform MM/TT and as good as they have been, they have gotten to play Buffalo, Jets, and Miami 6 games a year and haven't had any competition for their divisional playoff spot in forever.

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

The people I know say it's a done deal. Also a done deal is Murphy taking a step back and granting Gutekunst full authority over the coaching hire and over the coach in general going forward. The editorials coming out since only confirm what's been told to me and what I shared prior to those columns being published. They're too exact not to have been fed to them.

If indeed Mac is gone the best thing Murphy can do is give Gute full authority.  This 3 headed monster we have right now is nutty IMO.

1 minute ago, Arthur Penske said:

I'm all for looking at moving on if MM  can't pull some miracle turn around, but the hate against him ( and TT for that matter) is just getting ridiculous. People act like he's accomplished nothing just because he had consistent/expectational QB play (and that he doesn't get any credit for it).

And we're seeing the other end of the spectrum where people are pointing to what he did 8 years ago as to why he'll figure it out.

1 minute ago, Pugger said:

If indeed Mac is gone the best thing Murphy can do is give Gute full authority.  This 3 headed monster we have right now is nutty IMO.

For the upteenth time, it's not a 3 man decision making team.  The GM is making the personnel decisions and the HC is calling the plays.  They should be connected, and if there's a discrepancy then Murphy is the guy whose mediating.  Think of it like a brother and sister, and the mom is there to mediate.

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

You are now 100% injecting an invented reality into your stance: that VP desired to remain here as QB coach. That flies so much in the face of reality it's absurd. VP pretty clearly wanted out. He didn't sign an extension. He viewed himself as coordinator material. Yet you think he would have been willing to sign on as QB coach here under the same rules MM has always had for coordinators despite VP literally saying he planned to move forward.

I tend to agree with this.

I'm just not getting this VP "boomerang" philosophy - that he openly wanted out - then suddenly wanted back - at his old position in fact - but was refused. I see no evidence for that and it makes absolutely no sense - until - you add the "drama" ingredient: MM was jealous of VPs relationship with AR.

AhhhhhhhHA! The Falcoln Crest aspect has been added. Drama.

Besides - I'm not getting this whole: MM screwed up the QB position coach (highly questionable IMO.....) - and as a consequence - our 14year veteran QB. Winner of MVP awards - a Super Bowl title - multiple playoff games - had his game totally fall to $hit - hence, MM has to be fired.

That my friends - is a virtual reality bridge wayyyyyyyyyyyyy too far for me to cross. Sorry.

The career desires and meanderings of one AVP does not constitute rise and fall of the 2018 Green Bay Packers. It's just not happening in my mind. 

Add on edit:  If the guy was that consequential - hire him back. Done. AR will be happy and produce like AR of old and all will be well with the world once again.

Archived