You Are In Control. Who Replaces McCarthy?

MacReady

Just now, Pugger said:

What else would you expect him to say?  And he only addressed the play on the field.  He isn't going to talk about anything else in public and he shouldn't.

There's plenty he could say.  There are plenty of things he could say that draw the line between optimism and negativism going forward.  

Ill give you a free example of coach speak that conveys disappointment and a hint of a different outcome:

"We as an organization aren't satisfied with how this season has played out and we have to get better in all aspects.  Certainly we've done a lot of positive things and we have a lot of good players, but we need to find a way to bring that all together to result in wins."

This talk of it being simply coach speak is fine, but you can get a lot out of coach speak that reflects deeper meaning.  

4 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

There's plenty he could say.  There are plenty of things he could say that draw the line between optimism and negativism going forward.  

Ill give you a free example of coach speak that conveys disappointment and a hint of a different outcome:

"We as an organization aren't satisfied with how this season has played out and we have to get better in all aspects.  Certainly we've done a lot of positive things and we have a lot of good players, but we need to find a way to bring that all together to result in wins."

This talk of it being simply coach speak is fine, but you can get a lot out of coach speak that reflects deeper meaning.  

Also:

"This has been an interesting season."

Tony Romo! That would be my choice. He could get through to Favre, he's very bright, insightful and would be a great offensive mind. Get the right assistants around him and he could be dynamite. Keep Pettine and his defensive coaches. 

By the way, he's a cheese head as we all know and would do it in a minute. 

16 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Edmunds has been nothing short of phenomenal in both games I've watched (@Vikings, and Packers). Like All-Pro caliber play. While I suspect that those might probably be his two best games, I can't see anyway that's a below average ILB.

All that said, **** yeah give me Alexander over Edmunds, the guy is an ILB. 

And yeah, people that don't own it are the worst.

Safe to say the top 3, non-top-10 defensive picks in the 1st this year have been James, Alexander and LVE?

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

#coachspeak

I'm sure if you interviewed the CEO of KMart or Sears they would say something similar as to how their future looks.

I just don't see Gute being OK with this. You can't dump Ty or Haha and send that message and be OK with your coach leading this roster to 4-6-1. If Gute wants Mac gone and Murphy intercedes and keeps him. Then this thing is a wild dumpster fire spiraling out of control.

I think it was peculiar for Murphy to even make this statement. It's kind of like trying to answer the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" There's no good answer without admitting you done it. So what is Murphy admitting to? MM is on the hot seat? The team is tanking? 

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

He IS trying to be positive.  But he isn't going to throw anyone under the bus publicly in the middle of the season.    

11 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

I think it was peculiar for Murphy to even make this statement. It's kind of like trying to answer the question, "Have you stopped beating your wife?" There's no good answer without admitting you done it. So what is Murphy admitting to? MM is on the hot seat? The team is tanking? 

Context is king. From where was the quote taken?

Just now, incognito_man said:

Also:

"This has been an interesting season."

Exactly.  Coach speak is coach speak, yes, but you can ALWAYS gleam from it true meaning. 

Just now, Pugger said:

He IS trying to be positive.  But he isn't going to throw anyone under the bus publicly in the middle of the season.    

But that's what I'm getting at.  Just because it's coach speak doesn't mean you can't be negative with it.  Have you ever spoken to someone who said something and everything nonverbal and the way they said it didn't jive with what they said?  It's called subtext.  It's everywhere.  It's in common conversation, flirtation, film and especially in coach speak.

The subtext of what Murphy said screams that, as of right now, McCarthy is coming back next season. 

Of course that might change, but coach speak is coach speak, and the most formulaic coach speak in the world has truth and subtext within it. 

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Lol. you act like I'm the only one on Earth mentioning his name. Which is all that I'm doing. I don't know a damn thing about him other than what I was told. The guy is held in very high regard by many people in the NFL. From what I can tell he's done a helluva job at a place that recruits don't exactly bang the doors down to get to.

You sound like the people who were outraged when the Packers selected the offensive coordinator of the 32nd ranked offense to be the head coach in 2006.

Archived