has Williams earned a shot as the Browns HC next year?

Vladimir L

On 11/25/2018 at 9:40 PM, SwoleXmad said:

......Did.....Did people forget about Bountygate and what this guy was outed for?

Dude shouldn't be coaching let alone be the HC for a QB who has shown the most promise in Cleveland in a decade.

So no throw him into the River and start anew.

I totally agree. I even saw what he was doing as the Rams DC.. dirty dirty coach. Both him and Payton should not be in the league.

On 11/26/2018 at 9:19 AM, stl4life07 said:

No. My reason for that is simple, we have seen this movie too many times throughout the history of sports. Team plays bad, fire coach, the interim coach comes in and team plays well. Team make the interim coach the permit coach and the team goes back to stinking.

It's tough for me to think of examples of an interim coach given the job long term who succeeded going forward. Bruce Arians went to another team and did well. Marty Schottenheimer was probably the most successful.

The issue I have with Williams on Hard Knocks wasn't anything related to Bounty Gate nonsense. He came off as a fraud to me. And his answers to the media when he got the job made him sound even more delusional. He's not a guy I'd believe in.

In a scouting report I did on Baker I said a big part of his success or struggle was going to be his relationship with his coaches. Knowing that Haley was an old school ****, I thought he and Baker would either be best buds or arch enemies. Since excising Hue and Haley, from everything reported, he and Greg Williams really like each other. OC Kitchens also came out to bat hard for Mayfield and they also seem like a good personality fit. The Browns offense has boomed and Mayfield has looked like one of the better QBs in the league the last few games. Unless they fall off a cliff before the season ends there's no reason to break up the chemistry going into next year.

And tbh I hate Williams' style of coaching. I've questioned that type of in your face scream style for a long time. And I don't think his scheme is all that sound. But your chippy franchise QB likes him and he's playing lights out under OC Kitchens. Throw that away to hire a supposed offensive mind, and have it not work out?....yikes.

Archived