has Williams earned a shot as the Browns HC next year?

Vladimir L

No. My reason for that is simple, we have seen this movie too many times throughout the history of sports. Team plays bad, fire coach, the interim coach comes in and team plays well. Team make the interim coach the permit coach and the team goes back to stinking. The Browns need a real coach. A McVay, Nagy, Payton, Reid type coach. Go get a Reich type coach. Arians said he would only be interested in the Brows coaching job. He knows offense. Look what he did in Pittsburgh, Indy, and Arizona. Go after DeFilippo in Minnesota. He was able to do some great things in Philly and now in Minnesota. Like thats what the Browns need. They dont need a defensive minded coach who has failed before as a head coach and even as a defensive coordinator has been up and down weekly. One week his defense looks amazing the next week it looks like trash. The Browns need to get an innovator on offense especially in an offensive league where if you arent averaging 30+ you dont have a chance to be elite. The best teams in football are the Rams Saints and Chiefs. All those teams are averaging at least 35ppg. The Browns have Landry, Chubb, Johnson, Njoku, Callaway, and the guy calling the shots at QB is Mayfield. If they get an innovator on offense and maybe just add one more dynamic receiver, the Browns can develop into a Saints, Rams, and Chiefs type offense where they are able to average 35ppg. Their defense still has playmakers too that can take the ball away and get to the opposing QB. 

To anyone saying yes:

Did you not watch Hard Knocks? Gregg Williams was ON TV A MERE 3 MONTHS AGO, literally shouting at his players during practice to hit the quarterback. I knew little besides what we learned in Bountygate about Williams before I saw him in Hard Knocks. All I'm saying is the guy was 100% exactly the person I imagined he was. Human garbage. 

He's such garbage that when he and Haley were going at it (because of the aforementioned yelling at his players to destroy the teams starting QB is practice) I was completely on Todd's side and found myself agreeing with him. 

How he someone you'd want coaching your team? The just-recently-drafted-quarterback of your franchise? How do we even know that he is in any significant way responsible for the Browns' wins? I saw no evidence. The Browns were drastically underperforming with Hue. They were inevitably going to win a few games after winning one in two years.

I'm astonished to see Browns fans actually wanting Williams to stay on as HC. Do you guys just enjoy being the butt of all jokes? Because Williams will help you remain just that

28 minutes ago, BAConrad said:

To anyone saying yes:

Did you not watch Hard Knocks? Gregg Williams was ON TV A MERE 3 MONTHS AGO, literally shouting at his players during practice to hit the quarterback. I knew little besides what we learned in Bountygate about Williams before I saw him in Hard Knocks. All I'm saying is the guy was 100% exactly the person I imagined he was. Human garbage. 

He's such garbage that when he and Haley were going at it (because of the aforementioned yelling at his players to destroy the teams starting QB is practice) I was completely on Todd's side and found myself agreeing with him. 

How he someone you'd want coaching your team? The just-recently-drafted-quarterback of your franchise? How do we even know that he is in any significant way responsible for the Browns' wins? I saw no evidence. The Browns were drastically underperforming with Hue. They were inevitably going to win a few games after winning one in two years.

I'm astonished to see Browns fans actually wanting Williams to stay on as HC. Do you guys just enjoy being the butt of all jokes? Because Williams will help you remain just that

Show me a Browns fans who thinks this. The best you'll see is that MAYBE he should be given a chance depending on how the rest of the season goes.

On 11/26/2018 at 4:16 AM, patriotsheatyan said:

Brees: First five years under defensive HC.

Brady: Entire career under defensive coach.

Manning: Every year before 2015 under defensive HC.

Ben: Entire career under defensive HC.

Romo: First eight years under defensive HC.

Rivers: First three seasons under defensive HC

Wilson: Entire career under defensive HC.

Ryan: Entire career under defensive HC.

Palmer: First eight years under defensive HC.

Stafford: Entire career under defensive HC.

Andrew Luck: First five years under defensive HC.

Cam Newton: Entire career under defensive HC.

Alex Smith: First six years under defensive HC.

Joe Flacco: Entire career under STs coach.

All of these guys had their breakout years under defensive/special teams HCs besides Smith, who had still progressed into a decent game manager before Harbaugh. And that’s probably 14 of the 17 most accomplished QBs drafted in the last twenty years. Of the more accomplished QBs with offensive HCs, you have Eli who clearly sucked most of his career, Rodgers who has a coach that has never developed another QB before, and McNabb who was uncoachable. Among the absolute best, having offensive head coaches teaching them when young is even less common.

Let’s face it: there is no such thing as a true QB guru or some special trick to develop QBs, and hiring an offensive head coach has a strong negative correlation with QB development. Some offensive coaches are better at not getting their QB killed, making better play calls, playing to their QBs strengths, establishing running game/open receivers/pass protection, but they won’t significantly improve arm strength, accuracy, size, speed, IQ, or work ethic. They can help improve mechanics, but not a whole lot more and than still has quite a few requirements to matter. Talented first round QBs like Goff and Mahomes having a short period of success on uber talented teams doesn’t mean that Reid and McVay made them.

So if the best candidate is a DC or STC, take them. All time great QBs can develop just fine under them. So can good QBs.

Caldwell is an offensive coach. 

On 11/25/2018 at 10:40 PM, SwoleXmad said:

......Did.....Did people forget about Bountygate and what this guy was outed for?

Dude shouldn't be coaching let alone be the HC for a QB who has shown the most promise in Cleveland in a decade.

So no throw him into the River and start anew.

Nobody forgot, but just like with any "crime" the man did his time, paid his dues, and has to live with his reputation being forever tarnished. If he has learned his lesson and manages to excel despite what happened in the past, then so be it.

That being said, I sure as hell wouldn't hire him as my HC, his personality rubs me the wrong way.

Yeah, I don't care about Bountygate or Williams being a meany or a jerk. Don't hire interim HCs based on the emotional high. The man flopped with the Bills after Wade Phillips had a good four-year run there. Conduct a real search. Hire the best guy for the job. That almost certainly won't be Williams. I still like him as a DC, but he's not HC material.

2 hours ago, jjab360 said:

Nobody forgot, but just like with any "crime" the man did his time, paid his dues, and has to live with his reputation being forever tarnished. If he has learned his lesson and manages to excel despite what happened in the past, then so be it.

That being said, I sure as hell wouldn't hire him as my HC, his personality rubs me the wrong way.

Mate what he did was intentionally get his players to hurt people, that's a crime. Oh he totally paid his dues, took a year off and was welcomed back by the Rams and Jeff Fisher who totally wouldn't have hired him if he knew, even though he did. 

It would be the most browns thing to do though, hire a 60 year old HC who has a sketchy past because he's the "Emotional, firey, motivator" only for him to ruin Baker Mayfield somehow. 

They fired Hue midseason.   If they were smart, they wouldve done it in the offseason.

They need to find a coach the right way....not just assume Williams is the guy for the job because they are playing better.

Just because they are having more success doesnt mean Williams is the right man for the job....it probably just means pretty much anything is an upgrade from Hue Jackson....even mediocrity.

Go through the process....find a coach that fits the vision of the future of the team and go from there.    Dont just zero in on a certain coach and give it to them.   

3 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

If I am a d cord and im facing tom brady im telling my players to hit him hard to take his *** out

Every time a defensive player so much as goes near Brady, 7 flags hit the turf. 

You try that you're gonna get half your defense ejected. 

I have no love for Brady but no player deserves to get injured (except like Aaron Hernandez or O.J I guess) 

21 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

If I am a d cord and im facing tom brady im telling my players to hit him hard to take his *** out

It’s only the offering of a bonus that was taken issue with. “Cut the head off the snake.”

I actually like Greg Williams but I think most would agree with a QB like Mayfield in place it would be in the Browns best interest to find a creative offensive minded coach. When you get these defensive minded head coaches they never seem to find an OC and stick with him.

22 hours ago, Vladimir L said:

That is different than what happened back in 2011. He told guys to target a player who had a concussion a few weeks before and hit him in the head. He told guys to try and tear Frank Gore's ACL and end his career. Then he referenced how much money he would pay guys to do this. 

If you don't see how that is different than "hit a guy hard and knock him out of the game" then idk what to tell you

Archived