Kliff Kingsbury: The Cowboys Next OC?

D82

50 minutes ago, DaBoys said:

Is there a "brilliant young mind" that DOES specialize in a run first/play action/TOP kinda offense? Sounds like a unicorn to me

When all of the data points away from that type of offense, it stands to reason that a “brilliant young mind” wouldn’t be running it... 

Todd Gurley is killing it this year. I don’t know why moving to 21st century football necessarily means Zeke is suddenly useless. 

3 hours ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

The Air-raid style has helped Gurley a lot.

That is not a Air-Raid offense. Their passing game accounts for like 54% of their plays. Granted it does use quite a bit of no huddle and run and gun plays but that's not the same thing.

21 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

That is not a Air-Raid offense. Their passing game accounts for like 54% of their plays. Granted it does use quite a bit of no huddle and run and gun plays but that's not the same thing.

You misunderstand. Or I wasn't clear.

The Rams have built an offense that spreads you out and allows Gurley to see a friendlier Box. 

24 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

You misunderstand. Or I wasn't clear.

The Rams have built an offense that spreads you out and allows Gurley to see a friendlier Box. 

I’m 100% on board with that kind of offense, but that isn’t what Kingsbury ran as TT. He ran the Air Raid offense, which barely utilizes RBs. Now, if he can design a spread scheme which caters to the strengths and skills of the entire offense, then great. But he’s never shown that.

18 minutes ago, D82 said:

Kansas City's running game doesn't seem to be hurting. Know who used to be Mahomes coach prior to Andy Reid? 

And you know who isn’t calling plays for Mahomes now? Kingsbury. Know who is? Andy Reid. There’s a HUGE difference between their respective offensive schemes.

19 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I’m 100% on board with that kind of offense, but that isn’t what Kingsbury ran as TT. He ran the Air Raid offense, which barely utilizes RBs. Now, if he can design a spread scheme which caters to the strengths and skills of the entire offense, then great. But he’s never shown that.

Just because he hasn't, doesn't mean he can't.

When did he ever have a RB of the caliber of Zeke during his tenure at Texas Tech? There's no telling how he would or wouldn't utilize him. 

38 minutes ago, D82 said:

Just because he hasn't, doesn't mean he can't.

When did he ever have a RB of the caliber of Zeke during his tenure at Texas Tech? There's no telling how he would or wouldn't utilize him. 

I get that, but the only evidence that people have to evaluate is based on prior history, which does not show any evidence of him using a RB.

29 minutes ago, plan9misfit said:

I get that, but the only evidence that people have to evaluate is based on prior history, which does not show any evidence of him using a RB.

The only argument I could have to counter is that he's a much much better playcaller that what we have had since Turner. 

46 minutes ago, Texas_OutLaw7 said:

People hated Sean here. Maybe that was Tuna's fault, but you should be old enough to remember the forum being very happy he left. 

But even if I agree with you, he'd still be a significant upgrade. 

Yeah, everyone was pumped when Payton left.

Maybe it was Tuna that held him back, but two other things to consider: 1) I don’t think you can discount the chance that he just kept growing a lot as a coach. Before Dallas he was stripped of play calling duties two separate times by Jim Fassel. 2) Drew Brees could probably make just about any coach, great or terrible, look even smarter than they are. 

Whatever the case, Sean Payton was certainly not on a clear path to “offensive genius” status while he was here.

12 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

To be fair Gurley also receives the ball and makes up production in the passing game as well. Let’s be honest Zeke is not much of a receiver other than the screen game that’s successful with him. Other than that they can do a lot more with Gurley because he has good hands.

Archived