Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
brownie man

Dwayne Haskins

Where will Haskins be drafted if he comes out?  

85 members have voted

  1. 1. Where will he be drafted?

    • Number 1 pick overall
      14
    • Top 16
      45
    • First Round
      17
    • 2nd Round
      5
    • Later
      4


Recommended Posts

On 12/12/2018 at 5:59 PM, Broncofan said:

With JAX falling hard and WAS having committed 71M/3 years to Alex Smith, and his career very much in doubt, and WAS likely to go 6-10....there could easily be 3 teams locked into QB in the top 10.   

Where I used to think it wasn't a lock that Haskins could go top 10 now, as it was only NYG that I knew for sure was locking into QB....well, seems pretty safe there are at least 2, if not 3 QB's going top 10 (which in this gifted non-QB class, is a mistake IMO, but that's another topic).   In that vein, I don't see how Haskins doesn't declare - I made the argument that $ wise if he wasn't sure he was going top 10, he could wait a year, secure a top 5 pick and that would actually gain him 15-20M over the life of his first 5 years.   But now it seems like falling outside of the top 10 is a farfetched scenario, which to me seems to seal his declaration for 2019.

Given this was before this weekend's games, we're also talking about fewer teams looking for QBs this year than I think we have in recent years.  Right now, we have Jacksonville (5th), NY Giants (9th), Denver (13th), and Washington (17th).  We've got a few teams who might be interested in a QB if the value is there, which could include Tampa Bay (8th), Cincinnati (14th), and Miami (14th).  Jacksonville or NY Giants will take Herbert, the question is how desperate are the teams behind those to draft a QB?  Jacksonville and New York are almost certainly coming out of this year's class with a QB.  I think the only way we see two QBs go in the top 10 is if both Jacksonville and New York are drafting in there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Given this was before this weekend's games, we're also talking about fewer teams looking for QBs this year than I think we have in recent years.  Right now, we have Jacksonville (5th), NY Giants (9th), Denver (13th), and Washington (17th).  We've got a few teams who might be interested in a QB if the value is there, which could include Tampa Bay (8th), Cincinnati (14th), and Miami (14th).  Jacksonville or NY Giants will take Herbert, the question is how desperate are the teams behind those to draft a QB?  Jacksonville and New York are almost certainly coming out of this year's class with a QB.  I think the only way we see two QBs go in the top 10 is if both Jacksonville and New York are drafting in there.

Yeah, I had WAS staying in the top 10 picks until their improbable W vs. JAX (although in hindsight that JAX has given up, still it took taking Fournette out of the game in the early 3Q to allow WAS to come back, but a W is a W).   I do expect WAS to lose out both games coming up, though, and I think DEN will beat OAK even on the road, so that would put WAS ahead of DEN, but not likely into the top 10 anymore.  

I think it's a lock all 3 are going QB of NYG/JAX/WAS - but WAS looks to have fallen out of the top 10.   So yeah, maybe it's only 2 teams going QB now in the top 10.   It might be moot - that tweet from Haskins this weekend isn't something you'd expect we would see from a guy planning to leave OSU.   We'll see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, I had WAS staying in the top 10 picks until their improbable W vs. JAX (although in hindsight that JAX has given up, still it took taking Fournette out of the game in the early 3Q to allow WAS to come back, but a W is a W).   I do expect WAS to lose out both games coming up, though, and I think DEN will beat OAK even on the road, so that would put WAS ahead of DEN, but not likely into the top 10 anymore.  

I think it's a lock all 3 are going QB of NYG/JAX/WAS - but WAS looks to have fallen out of the top 10.   So yeah, maybe it's only 2 teams going QB now in the top 10.   It might be moot - that tweet from Haskins this weekend isn't something you'd expect we would see from a guy planning to leave OSU.   We'll see.

Jacksonville is just a bad football team, so getting a win over them isn't saying much.  And prior to their matchup against the Titans, the Giants were playing well winning 4 of their last 5 games.  I'm not expecting them to beat either the Colts or Cowboys, but it wouldn't be a total surprise either.  Given the reports that Jacksonville plans on releasing Blake Bortles at the end of the year and poor FA class, I'd be beyond surprised if they weren't the first team to take a QB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Jacksonville is just a bad football team, so getting a win over them isn't saying much.  And prior to their matchup against the Titans, the Giants were playing well winning 4 of their last 5 games.  I'm not expecting them to beat either the Colts or Cowboys, but it wouldn't be a total surprise either.  Given the reports that Jacksonville plans on releasing Blake Bortles at the end of the year and poor FA class, I'd be beyond surprised if they weren't the first team to take a QB.

TBH, that might also explain why Haskins is having a change of heart.   When it was the bright lights of NY, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to head to the NFL.  But the lure of being a #1 overall pick next year or top 3, vs. playing for JAX...well, who knows.   

The Gmen aren't beating the Colts on the road, not with IND fighting for their playoff lives.  But yeah, I could totally see a NYG W vs. DAL - all DAL needs is a W and they're in, so if they beat Tampa (which is no lock FWIW, Tampa's playing much better of late, even on the road), I can see them resting their starters.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

TBH, that might also explain why Haskins is having a change of heart.   When it was the bright lights of NY, I don't know why anyone wouldn't want to head to the NFL.  But the lure of being a #1 overall pick next year or top 3, vs. playing for JAX...well, who knows.   

The Gmen aren't beating the Colts on the road, not with IND fighting for their playoff lives.  But yeah, I could totally see a NYG W vs. DAL - all DAL needs is a W and they're in, so if they beat Tampa (which is no lock FWIW, Tampa's playing much better of late, even on the road), I can see them resting their starters.

I think Haskins is legitimately torn between returning to Columbus and going to the NFL.  Even if he declares, he's probably at worse a first round pick.  But it's easier to return to a school when your supporting cast is returning.  Just going off the Ourlads OSU depth chart, on the offensive line they're losing Malcolm Pridgeon and Isaiah Prince.  For their skill positions, Parris Campbell and Terry McLaurin are both graduating as well.  Right now, going to either Jacksonville or New York seems like reasonable destinations.  Jacksonville is a year removed from being a playoff team, in large part because of their deficiencies at QB.  Good location, a good HC whose picking a new OC.  Either way, Jacksonville probably takes Herbert instead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, CWood21 said:

I think Haskins is legitimately torn between returning to Columbus and going to the NFL.  Even if he declares, he's probably at worse a first round pick.  But it's easier to return to a school when your supporting cast is returning.  Just going off the Ourlads OSU depth chart, on the offensive line they're losing Malcolm Pridgeon and Isaiah Prince.  For their skill positions, Parris Campbell and Terry McLaurin are both graduating as well.  Right now, going to either Jacksonville or New York seems like reasonable destinations.  Jacksonville is a year removed from being a playoff team, in large part because of their deficiencies at QB.  Good location, a good HC whose picking a new OC.  Either way, Jacksonville probably takes Herbert instead.

I will say this - if JAX takes Herbert, GM Gettleman will not hesitate in taking Haskins.  I mean, he was wiling to take Cam 1.1.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Broncofan said:

I will say this - if JAX takes Herbert, GM Gettleman will not hesitate in taking Haskins.  I mean, he was wiling to take Cam 1.1.

For sure.  New York is coming out of this draft with a QB one way or the other.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

For sure.  New York is coming out of this draft with a QB one way or the other.

And while Gettleman will not trade down ever...he's certainly not against moving up, either.   I don't think he cares if it's Herbert or Haskins, but either way, Gettleman's locked in to QB.   I think WAS is also locked in, which means DEN is faced with the unenviable choice of taking choice #4 (which if I had doubts on Haskins & Herbert, they're about 1/10th the concern I have after those 2 for the rest) in mid-teens (as much as I've railed against the thought that DEN is somehow a legit contender, we're not - DEN's a team that doesn't give up, and hangs in there and @OAK, I expect that will be enough - LAC I expect will roll us as a message for our underserved W they gifted us, especially if SEA beats KC and LAC beats BAL this week).    

Given that equation, and the fact that Keenum has 10M of dead money in his 21M 2019 year, I think we'll pass on QB Rd1.   And look to hit 2020 hard if nothing presents itself (I mean, it's so tough we brought in the CFL MVP last week for a look - that guy is still unsigned, but he's got to be thinking "hey, I can beat THAT guy" when he looks at us lol).

Edited by Broncofan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

And while Gettleman will not trade down ever...he's certainly not against moving up, either.   I don't think he cares if it's Herbert or Haskins, but either way, Gettleman's locked in to QB

Nick Mullens to the Giants confirmed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Forge said:

Nick Mullens to the Giants confirmed. 

You seem to think Gettleman will stop there...I don't discount your scenario, but the 2 aren't mutually exclusive lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Kid is special. Gonna make him my QB of the draft. Previous “My QB’s” 2018 Josh Rosen, 2017 Deshone Kizer, 2016 Jared Goff, 2015 Jameis Winston, 2014 Teddy Bridgewater, and that’s all I’m gonna go back for now but Eric Ainge was once in my list. I’m hit or miss to say the least. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think WAS is also locked in, which means DEN is faced with the unenviable choice of taking choice #4 (which if I had doubts on Haskins & Herbert, they're about 1/10th the concern I have after those 2 for the rest) in mid-teens (as much as I've railed against the thought that DEN is somehow a legit contender, we're not - DEN's a team that doesn't give up, and hangs in there and @OAK, I expect that will be enough - LAC I expect will roll us as a message for our underserved W they gifted us, especially if SEA beats KC and LAC beats BAL this week).    

Given that equation, and the fact that Keenum has 10M of dead money in his 21M 2019 year, I think we'll pass on QB Rd1.   And look to hit 2020 hard if nothing presents itself (I mean, it's so tough we brought in the CFL MVP last week for a look - that guy is still unsigned, but he's got to be thinking "hey, I can beat THAT guy" when he looks at us lol).

Not sure Washington is locked into a QB via the draft.  Think they could be one of the big suitors for Teddy Bridgewater.  They felt the Redskins were a QB-away when they made the trade for Alex Smith, stands to reason that they'd prefer a veteran QB to a rookie QB.  Denver passed on Josh Rosen and Josh Allen last year, and while this could have easily been a situation where Elway stuck to BPA, you have to take the QB if the value is even close.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, kyle21121 said:

Kid is special. Gonna make him my QB of the draft. Previous “My QB’s” 2018 Josh Rosen, 2017 Deshone Kizer, 2016 Jared Goff, 2015 Jameis Winston, 2014 Teddy Bridgewater, and that’s all I’m gonna go back for now but Eric Ainge was once in my list. I’m hit or miss to say the least. 

TBH your only real miss has been Kizer (dude, that's bold...).  Bridge got hurt.  Rosen will be fine barring injury.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Broncofan said:

TBH your only real miss has been Kizer (dude, that's bold...).  Bridge got hurt.  Rosen will be fine barring injury.  

There are some bad ones in the 03-13 range I recall I’ll have to find them or look at each draft and try and spark my memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×