Playoff Committee Rankings, pre Championship Weekend

naptownskinsfan

1 hour ago, MWil23 said:

IMO, Oklahoma is a lock to get in if they win, unless one/multiple of the following happens, then it could get interesting:

*Georgia upsets Alabama

*Clemson gets stunned by Pitt could pave the way for them to fall out of the Top 4 and both OU and OSU to get in with wins (unlikely)

*OSU completely destroys Northwestern

Honestly, if Oklahoma wins I don't see a scenario in which Ohio State jumps them.  Short of some sort of controversial win for Oklahoma, they're in with a win so long as Georgia doesn't beat Alabama.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Honestly, if Oklahoma wins I don't see a scenario in which Ohio State jumps them.  Short of some sort of controversial win for Oklahoma, they're in with a win so long as Georgia doesn't beat Alabama.

I could maybe see it if it's another 63-55 type score while Ohio State wins in dominant fashion, 4+ TD.  There would be the argument that Ohio State has fixed their defensive issues and finally playing to the level that everyone expected coming into the year while Oklahoma still can't stop anyone defensively.

14 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I don't see a scenario in which UCF gets in.  It would take both Oklahoma AND Ohio State losing, and Alabama winning.

Which is the precise scenario I said. Oklahoma and Ohio State lose and Alabama beats Georgia convincingly. Chances of happening? 2% topps...

10 minutes ago, Raves said:

I could maybe see it if it's another 63-55 type score while Ohio State wins in dominant fashion, 4+ TD.  There would be the argument that Ohio State has fixed their defensive issues and finally playing to the level that everyone expected coming into the year while Oklahoma still can't stop anyone defensively.

Except Oklahoma is getting a win over the 14th ranked Texas team which they lost to earlier this year, but Ohio State beats the 21st ranked Northwestern which doesn't negate their loss against Purdue.  I don't think style points are going to change those facts.

1 minute ago, BayRaider said:

Which is the precise scenario I said. Oklahoma and Ohio State lose and Alabama beats Georgia convincingly. Chances of happening? 2% topps...

With Milton I'd say there is a chance.  Without Milton, I think there's almost zero chance the committee wants them in.  I think they'd sooner take Georgia with their 2 losses.

4 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Except Oklahoma is getting a win over the 14th ranked Texas team which they lost to earlier this year, but Ohio State beats the 21st ranked Northwestern which doesn't negate their loss against Purdue.  I don't think style points are going to change those facts.

So because Purdue didn't make the conference championship game for Ohio State to avenge the loss they get punished, although Ohio State would be looking like the more complete team.  I mean yes Ohio State would have the worse loss, but they would've had 2+ wins better than any win Oklahoma has.  Then it comes down to whether you want the worse loss but the team seemingly having turned it around or the team with the better loss, no real signature wins, plays 0 defense, but you know they can score.

7 minutes ago, Raves said:

So because Purdue didn't make the conference championship game for Ohio State to avenge the loss they get punished, although Ohio State would be looking like the more complete team.  I mean yes Ohio State would have the worse loss, but they would've had 2+ wins better than any win Oklahoma has.  Then it comes down to whether you want the worse loss but the team seemingly having turned it around or the team with the better loss, no real signature wins, plays 0 defense, but you know they can score.

2 best wins?  I'd argue the Penn State and West Virginia games were a wash.  I'd argue that wins over Iowa State and Michigan State are a relative wash.  Oklahoma had the more impressive win against a common opponent.  I don't think Ohio State's win over Michigan changes the fact that they're behind Oklahoma right now.  What win is more impressive, a win over Texas or a win over Northwestern?  I'd argue the win over Texas is more impressive and it just so helps that they lost to them early in the year and a chance to fix that.

2 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Not really sure what to think of this????  Unless many believe that Texas beats Oklahoma, and Ohio State routs Northwestern?

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/11/26/ohio-state-clear-betting-favorite-make-college-football-playoff-oklahoma

Probably has more to do with the fact that Oklahoma barely put away West Virginia and Ohio State destroyed Michigan.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

2 best wins?  I'd argue the Penn State and West Virginia games were a wash.  I'd argue that wins over Iowa State and Michigan State are a relative wash.  Oklahoma had the more impressive win against a common opponent.  I don't think Ohio State's win over Michigan changes the fact that they're behind Oklahoma right now.  What win is more impressive, a win over Texas or a win over Northwestern?  I'd argue the win over Texas is more impressive and it just so helps that they lost to them early in the year and a chance to fix that.

The Michigan win and even the win over Northwestern will still add more to their resume than what Oklahoma has.  For the record, I'd rather Ohio State go to the Rose Bowl and beat up on the PAC-12 champ than have to face Alabama and having a very low chance of actually beating them.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

The Michigan win and even the win over Northwestern will still add more to their resume than what Oklahoma has.  For the record, I'd rather Ohio State go to the Rose Bowl and beat up on the PAC-12 champ than have to face Alabama and having a very low chance of actually beating them.

Ehhhh.  I would like to see how they would stack up against Bama

54 minutes ago, big poppa pump said:

Not really sure what to think of this????  Unless many believe that Texas beats Oklahoma, and Ohio State routs Northwestern?

https://sportsday.dallasnews.com/college-sports/collegesports/2018/11/26/ohio-state-clear-betting-favorite-make-college-football-playoff-oklahoma

Could be betting that the committee won’t keep the big 10 out 2 years in a row. 

1 hour ago, Raves said:

I'm not sure how an Ohio State win over Northwestern adds more than an Oklahoma win over Texas.  Ohio State clearly has the best win on either resume, I don't think anyone would disagree with that statement.  But Oklahoma was more impressive against a common opponent (TCU) and they have the "better" loss.  I think the notion of either team having a clear argument over the other to be a fool's errand.  For Oklahoma, it's either go and play Alabama and likely get worked.  Or go likely play Georgia in a rematch.

Archived