Sign in to follow this  
BleedTheClock

Kyler Murray Hypothetical

On 12/7/2018 at 5:11 PM, Rainmaker90 said:

If there were no baseball involved , Murray is a first rounder.

The “ he’s too small card” is pretty irrelevant these days. 

Lamar Jackson is 6 3 212

Murray’s 5 9 195

Jackson is 6 inches taller and only 17 pounds heavier? Jackson is way skinner body type wise.

The difference? Murray is a astronomically better thrower than 1st round pick Lamar Jackson is.

And we’ve already seen shorter QBs succeed in the NFL

In terms of short passes and accuracy sure Murray is a better thrower but in terms of arm strength and velocity Lamar Jackson has a way better arm than Kyler Murray does.  Jackson just is still raw and struggles with accuracy at times, much like Murray did when he was a freshman in college.  Arm strength wise Jackson can throw a lazer.

Murray this year played out of his mind this season.  But it had to have helped that he had the security of being drafted in baseball and basically having a profession already and being a future MLB star.  He did not have to worry about impressing NFL scouts, he just went out and played.  That took a lot of pressure to succeed off of him and he could just play freely in one of the best offensive systems in the nation behind one of the best offensive lines in the country.  Sure if he wanted to play in the NFL he would get the shot just like McKenzie Milton will be getting a shot.  With a lot of teams running zone read stuff and moving the QB outside the pocket, height has clearly become less and less of an issue.  And more and more smaller QBs are still having success in the NFL.

He will stick with baseball though I am sure, less of a chance of major injury and life long health issues, and more of a change of success and a long career in baseball.  But sure might be a little different conversation if he was 6-6 225 and that is just a fact.  Amazing season by Murray though, really played great in really his own real chance to do so as a RS JR.  Then again not a huge surprise in that offense, with his ability to run in college football, yeah he would be unstoppable and was.  Will be interesting how successful he is against Bama and Nick Saban having a month or so to prep for him.

5 hours ago, Ozzy said:

In terms of short passes and accuracy sure Murray is a better thrower but in terms of arm strength and velocity Lamar Jackson has a way better arm than Kyler Murray does.  Jackson just is still raw and struggles with accuracy at times, much like Murray did when he was a freshman in college.  Arm strength wise Jackson can throw a lazer.

Murray this year played out of his mind this season.  But it had to have helped that he had the security of being drafted in baseball and basically having a profession already and being a future MLB star.  He did not have to worry about impressing NFL scouts, he just went out and played.  That took a lot of pressure to succeed off of him and he could just play freely in one of the best offensive systems in the nation behind one of the best offensive lines in the country.  Sure if he wanted to play in the NFL he would get the shot just like McKenzie Milton will be getting a shot.  With a lot of teams running zone read stuff and moving the QB outside the pocket, height has clearly become less and less of an issue.  And more and more smaller QBs are still having success in the NFL.

He will stick with baseball though I am sure, less of a chance of major injury and life long health issues, and more of a change of success and a long career in baseball.  But sure might be a little different conversation if he was 6-6 225 and that is just a fact.  Amazing season by Murray though, really played great in really his own real chance to do so as a RS JR.  Then again not a huge surprise in that offense, with his ability to run in college football, yeah he would be unstoppable and was.  Will be interesting how successful he is against Bama and Nick Saban having a month or so to prep for him.

Touch and ball placement def favor Murray. 

Not sure I agree with the because he was drafted as a baseball player it helped him because he didn’t have to impress others. 

Im not closing the door on him playing football. We don’t know what his strongest passion is. I can see a world where it’s football and if he’s getting 1st round grades could be enough to sway him. Remember, just because he was a first round pick in baseball doesn’t mean he’ll ever make a major league roster. That’s far from guaranteed. 

31 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Touch and ball placement def favor Murray. 

Not sure I agree with the because he was drafted as a baseball player it helped him because he didn’t have to impress others. 

Im not closing the door on him playing football. We don’t know what his strongest passion is. I can see a world where it’s football and if he’s getting 1st round grades could be enough to sway him. Remember, just because he was a first round pick in baseball doesn’t mean he’ll ever make a major league roster. That’s far from guaranteed. 

Who is giving Kyler Murray 1st round grades for the NFL?  I doubt anyone is.  Sure baseball is not guaranteed, and neither is the NFL.  Baseball is potentially easier long term and obviously way less dangerous especially considering his build.  

So you think getting a little under $5 Million dollars in a guaranteed contract before the start of the college football season had nothing to do with the success Murray had?  I mean talk about no pressure, it is all gravy.  He has to impress no NFL scouts, does not have to worry about his future after college and can just go play and relax.  Sure there are pressures to being the QB for any major University but pretty sure it is a lot easier with $5 million dollars just waiting for you in a few months.  If you fail no big deal, but if you succeed you get to accomplish a life long dream of becoming a dominant big time college football QB, oh and you also just won the Heisman Trophy.  Oddly enough Baker Mayfield said he break all the OU Heisman trophy winners records before the season, him included, he did not really but yeah still won the Heisman.    

But again he signed a contract, pretty sure he is playing baseball unless he is going to throw away $5 Million dollars which I am not that sure if he can even do that if he wanted to.  The contract allowed him to play football for OU this year then go play for the A's, not go out for the NFL draft and test those waters as well...

Sure he could flame out in baseball and come play football again in a few years, that is possible but I just do not see that happening.