Packer Vets - Keep or get rid of for 2019 salary cap reasons

coachbuns

11 minutes ago, cannondale said:

CB is such a craft and Tramon is the ultimate pro. Still great example for a room where King might be the eldest next year

Put him on the coaching staff if that's how you feel.  Guy has no business seeing the field in the NFL.

12 minutes ago, cannondale said:

CB is such a craft and Tramon is the ultimate pro. Still great example for a room where King might be the eldest next year

how about we give tramon's money to kareem jackson, or bryce callahan instead? There's a lot of better CBs on the market this year than Tramon IMO.

5 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

how about we give tramon's money to kareem jackson, or bryce callahan instead? There's a lot of better CBs on the market this year than Tramon IMO.

As long as its a positive vet presence then yea. CB is one of those positions where I think that's important if we are gonna stay way young

30 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i agree - I just decided to take a peek and there's some nice names available!

CB FA market has been pretty solid for the last 3-4 years considering the dearth of talent at some of the other premium positions. 

34 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

i agree - I just decided to take a peek and there's some nice names available!

Are there?  I'm looking the FA CB class and none of them really give me any real confidence.  You've got Eric Rowe, Ronald Darby, Bradley Roby, and Morris Claiborne as your "best" available corners, but I'm not sure any of them really fix the CB position.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

Are there?  I'm looking the FA CB class and none of them really give me any real confidence.  You've got Eric Rowe, Ronald Darby, Bradley Roby, and Morris Claiborne as your "best" available corners, but I'm not sure any of them really fix the CB position.

er, did you miss the names i listed above?

On 12/3/2018 at 11:55 AM, coachbuns said:

All figures taken from Spotrac.  The Packers have older vets on the book who may have outlived their contracts.  We can increase our 2019 salary cap to spend on different players if some of these players are cut loose.   These figures reflect amounts the Packers GAIN in salary cap dollars if let go. Certainly there is dead cap money but again, these are gains on the 2019 cap. 

Nick Perry     3.6 million          Jimmy Graham  5.3 million      Mike Daniels    8.5 million     Brian Bulaga  6.75 million     Tramon Williams   4.75 million   Lane Taylor  2.975 million

Mason Crosby  3.6 million    Jason Spriggs  1.1 million

Total amount gained is over 36 million dollars.  Not realistic to let them all go but a couple surely could go.  Which ones would you let go?

Nick Perry- nowhere near the contract he has. Unreliable, in a great position to revamp the position, he’s gone. 

Jimmy Graham- Major miss on my part, thought he had something left in the tank; he does not. Gone. 

Mike Daniels: leader of the D, brings toughness and grit to the team. Was playing good ball before getting hurt. I’d like to keep him. 

Brian Bulaga- plays good ball when healthy, but gets hurt quite a bit. Still would like to keep him, but I do want to invest significant draft capital on a replacement. 

Tramon Williams- Understand the need for a vet, but could probably find a better player. Would like to keep Tramon in the organization somehow. 

Lane Taylor: not the best guard but pretty cheap considering. I’ll keep him. 

Crosby- 100% keep. Reliable kickers like him aren’t that common. 

Jason Spriggs- .... I guess keep. We’re going to reinforce the O-line this year , let’s see how that looks before we get rid of Spriggs.

I also think Cobb goes and Clay stays DEPENDING on what he’s willing to accept. Still think Clay has value to a defense. 

Cobb has none. He’s not a JAG, he’s a guy who looks like he shouldn’t see the field. 

Between Cobb, Perry, Graham, Tramon, and a reduced Clay , Gute is going to have the ammunition to rebuild this team, and fast.

Just now, incognito_man said:

er, did you miss the names i listed above?

Didn't Kareem Jackson get moved to safety because he was an awful corner?  Bryce Callahan has been playing well this year, but he's a slot corner IIRC and it certainly doesn't hurt playing behind Khalil Mack.  And I'm not sure I really want to pay boundary corner money to a guy who hasn't played on the boundary for an extended period.  And I think we'd both agree that Jaire would be better in the slot.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

Didn't Kareem Jackson get moved to safety because he was an awful corner?  Bryce Callahan has been playing well this year, but he's a slot corner IIRC and it certainly doesn't hurt playing behind Khalil Mack.  And I'm not sure I really want to pay boundary corner money to a guy who hasn't played on the boundary for an extended period.  And I think we'd both agree that Jaire would be better in the slot.

Tramon is playing safety...in case you missed it, and poorly at that.

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

that's fine, they are all better than tramon

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Clairborne has actually put together a few solid years since he left Dallas. 

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Kareem jackson is playing CB. And he's top 5 on PFF right now. Callahan is top 10 as well.

Archived