Packer Vets - Keep or get rid of for 2019 salary cap reasons

coachbuns

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

How many kickers do you think the average fan knows off the top of his head?

Ahhhhhhh......Chester Marcol, Jan Stenerud, Nick Anderson, Jim Turner, The guy with the one foot, Some Packer kicker I cant quite name........Longwell. Jerry Kramer, Paul Horning, Gino....the Dolphin guy........

:)

6 minutes ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Crosby should have been replaced years ago. I really liked Hopkins when he came out. They should have drafted Hopkins and cut Crosby then.

His current contract is prohibitive, but at a lower number I think he's fine. YMMV however.

3 minutes ago, Kepler said:

His current contract is prohibitive, but at a lower number I think he's fine. YMMV however.

Kickers need to be reliable. Over his career I've noticed he seems to have trouble from the left hash mark, which is where he missed from against the Cards. (I'm too lazy to check his success rate from either side.) This was especially true in his early career. 

He was bad enough one year that they brought in that kicker with the Italian name to compete. This year they need to draft a top kicker and give him some real competition. I'm tired of the lack of accountability throughout the team. I think Gutekunst is too. He shipped out HaHa and Ty mid-season. Randall was gone before the season even started. I hope there will be some more, including Crosby.

1 minute ago, Mr. Fussnputz said:

Kickers need to be reliable. Over his career I've noticed he seems to have trouble from the left hash mark, which is where he missed from against the Cards. (I'm too lazy to check his success rate from either side.) This was especially true in his early career. 

He was bad enough one year that they brought in that kicker with the Italian name to compete. This year they need to draft a top kicker and give him some real competition. I'm tired of the lack of accountability throughout the team. I think Gutekunst is too. He shipped out HaHa and Ty mid-season. Randall was gone before the season even started. I hope there will be some more, including Crosby.

I do agree with competition, pretty much for everyone

14 hours ago, CWood21 said:

Maybe I'm misreading some of the posts (and it probably could be, I'm medded up right now), but I'm hearing people demanding the Packers cut him to save the $3M and spend it elsewhere like we're going to find a clear upgrade just bagging groceries right now.  The Buccaneers took Roberto Aguayo in the 2nd round back in 2016.  They jettisoned Connor Barth because they thought they could do better.

This is the issue I have with it.  I have no issue with getting rid of Crosby if we have someone better.  None whatsoever.

But the two issues I have are:

1. People wanting to save 3 million dollars for free agency when we have 47 million dollars for free agency and won't come close to spending 30 million.

2. Assuming it's easy to find something better. 

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

This is the issue I have with it.  I have no issue with getting rid of Crosby if we have someone better.  None whatsoever.

But the two issues I have are:

1. People wanting to save 3 million dollars for free agency when we have 47 million dollars for free agency and won't come close to spending 30 million.

2. Assuming it's easy to find something better. 

Yup. Always look before you leap. Draft the best kicker coming out this spring and let him compete with Crosby. Keep the best one.

List of free agent kickers. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/kicker/

Never heard of most of them but Lambo from the Jags, Myers from the Jets, Will Lutz from the Saints and Rosas from the Giants all kicked above 90% on at least 20 kicks and age wise are in their twenties. Not sure if it would cost more than what we are currently paying Crosby at the moment to attract any one of them.

Everybody expecting us to need that 3 million from Crosby...

Who do you expect to sign?  You expect three Graham-level free agent additions?  Do you REALLY think that's REMOTELY likely? 

And that's if we only spend 30 million. 

For people expecting us to need 40 million, much less the 47 million we have, do you REALLY anticipate the equivalent of 4 Jimmy Graham level free agent additions? 

Or do you expect us to sign 4 players at 5 million a year and 2 players at 10 million a year? 

I legitimately don't know where everyone expects us to need that 3 million from Crosby. 

10 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Who do you expect to sign?  You expect three Graham-level free agent additions?  Do you REALLY think that's REMOTELY likely? 

For people expecting us to need 40 million, much less the 47 million we have, do you REALLY anticipate the equivalent of 4 Jimmy Graham level free agent additions? 

Or do you expect us to sign 4 players at 5 million a year and 2 players at 10 million a year? 

I legitimately don't know where everyone expects us to need that 3 million from Crosby. 

I am of the opinion that it doesn't matter if we can't identify how to spend it today necessarily. I think this actually blooks like a REALLY nice defensive FA class though. And I known I'd prefer to overpay Early Thomas $3million and run with a FA or rookie kicker than have Crosby and a tier2 safety.

Give me that option of overpaying an impact player everyday.

9 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Just forget the 3 million.  It's easy to spend money in the NFL.  If you don't need the 3 mil, you can roll it over.

Increase the production, and clean up the bad contracts like Crosby, Cobb, Matthews, Perry, and Tramon.  I promise you they can find a better way to use the money, including rolling it over if that's what they choose to do.

NO MORE PACKER PEOPLE!  Earn your job, earn your contract, or hit the road.

Archived