2019 Mock Offseason version 1.0

jetskid007

2 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

Not sure he would I’m pretty sure he plays a more traditional 3-4 Edge role compared to Suggs’ hybrid Edge/DL role and I don’t think our Defense would be built on speed but more so Physicality, which is what the Ravens Defense has been built on for years.

That's exactly my point though. Is we'd still have to edge rushers and not 1 single guy that's every down getting after the QB with any speed. Given this offseason we have every player in on that DL as strong athletic guys for their size. Not one speed agile guy. So this is now a fast NFL. We can win with strength as far as stuffing the run... but we would still be giving QBs too long to throw bc there's no speed and quickness to get to the QB. I want edge addressed. But we have to go speed quick to get to the QB. Not that Coples type DLineman (not comparing Gary to Coples they just play the same role).

5 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

That's exactly my point though. Is we'd still have to edge rushers and not 1 single guy that's every down getting after the QB with any speed. Given this offseason we have every player in on that DL as strong athletic guys for their size. Not one speed agile guy. So this is now a fast NFL. We can win with strength as far as stuffing the run... but we would still be giving QBs too long to throw bc there's no speed and quickness to get to the QB. I want edge addressed. But we have to go speed quick to get to the QB. Not that Coples type DLineman (not comparing Gary to Coples they just play the same role).

See I don’t think Coples really played that role, we messed around with him at 5Tech at first then moved him to OLB which didn’t work and then Back, also just because someone isn’t a speed rusher doesn’t mean they aren’t a good pass rusher, Justin Houston isn’t a speed rusher, Suggs wasn’t a speed rusher, Kerrigan isn’t a speed rusher,  Brandon Graham isn’t a speed rusher, the most important thing is there athleticism and technique not just how fast they are.

5 minutes ago, Dr.O said:

See I don’t think Coples really played that role, we messed around with him at 5Tech at first then moved him to OLB which didn’t work and then Back, also just because someone isn’t a speed rusher doesn’t mean they aren’t a good pass rusher, Justin Houston isn’t a speed rusher, Suggs wasn’t a speed rusher, Kerrigan isn’t a speed rusher,  Brandon Graham isn’t a speed rusher, the most important thing is there athleticism and technique not just how fast they are.

There has to be speed and quickness somewhere getting to the QB.

You need a blend of speed, power and technique to sack the QB.  Guys like Maybin who were here for a few years just get washed out by big OT's.  You still need good technique and enough strength to swim inside when needed.

The two best pass rushers after Bosa are Ferrell and Allen (two really different guys) but two very good rushers in their own right.  I'd love to have Ferrell as our SDE and sign a "Leo" like Ford to rush opposite him in a 4-3 with Williams and Shepard inside 1 gapping.  That would be ideal for our defense and we could focus on the rest of the draft/FA on the offense.

This WR class is super deep again and round 3 screams WR.  If the mock is accurate and we can land two upgrades on the OL in FA maybe some depth in round 3 along with a WR and Bell we'd be in much better shape moving forward.

13 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

You need a blend of speed, power and technique to sack the QB.  Guys like Maybin who were here for a few years just get washed out by big OT's.  You still need good technique and enough strength to swim inside when needed.

The two best pass rushers after Bosa are Ferrell and Allen (two really different guys) but two very good rushers in their own right.  I'd love to have Ferrell as our SDE and sign a "Leo" like Ford to rush opposite him in a 4-3 with Williams and Shepard inside 1 gapping.  That would be ideal for our defense and we could focus on the rest of the draft/FA on the offense.

This WR class is super deep again and round 3 screams WR.  If the mock is accurate and we can land two upgrades on the OL in FA maybe some depth in round 3 along with a WR and Bell we'd be in much better shape moving forward.

After watching Leonard Williams since we drafting him, he is not a passing rushing DE, he would be a great DT. To me with his power he is being wasted playing DE.

1 hour ago, doumeyer said:

After watching Leonard Williams since we drafting him, he is not a passing rushing DE, he would be a great DT. To me with his power he is being wasted playing DE.

He as a draft pick has been wasted. We drafted him when we didnt need him. Got forced to move on from Mo and Sheldon partly bc of his arrival (I mean we were playing Sheldon as a Edge rusher sometimes). Had to do with us moving on from Snacks. All while underperming. Another Jets wasted draft pick. I actually if I'm the Jets am moving him this off seaosn for the best offer. What does Leo do that Anderson and Shepard cant do? IMO nothing. He's not at all a difference maker.

11 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

He as a draft pick has been wasted. We drafted him when we didnt need him. Got forced to move on from Mo and Sheldon partly bc of his arrival (I mean we were playing Sheldon as a Edge rusher sometimes). Had to do with us moving on from Snacks. All while underperming. Another Jets wasted draft pick. I actually if I'm the Jets am moving him this off seaosn for the best offer. What does Leo do that Anderson and Shepard cant do? IMO nothing. He's not at all a difference maker.

How come we are the only ones who see this ?????

I really like this offseason. I’m on the JH bandwagon. I would want a younger OC but Kubiak would be good and is more realistic if we get Harbough.

Free Agency is great. The trades seem a bit short for the other teams. But I like Sanu and OL you’re have us getting. 

Ive been all-in get the best offensive player in the first. But I’ve warmed up to us using a first on an edge player. 

I wouldn’t bring back Tomlinson. He’s our 4th best TE and Leggett and Herndon have been good blockers. So no need to keep that guy. I’d bring back Sterling instead.

Overall I think this is great and would be happy with the coaching staff. Lots of adults that can help guide this organization.

I have always hated the idea of trading back, I always felt trading back was for losers. But we are losers, and unless there is some kind of superstar when we pick at third fourth, or fifth this time it might not be a bad idea. We sure could use one or two second round picks, like the Colts did last year. This trading back is something that can be done the last minute before we have to make a pick. But no matter what we do Macc, drafting has to improve.

I think a lot of you are making assumptions on Gary simply because of how he's used in college and what his weight is listed as. I get Aldon Smith vibes out of him. He is a freak athlete. He hustles. Can bend and is explosive. I don't see how you can think this guy lacks speed... Will likely be around 273 lbs. The sky is the limit for Gary, but between his "flex" usage in college and that he's still a bit raw. It won't shock me if he ultimately goes top 5. 

13 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

I think a lot of you are making assumptions on Gary simply because of how he's used in college and what his weight is listed as. I get Aldon Smith vibes out of him. He is a freak athlete. He hustles. Can bend and is explosive. I don't see how you can think this guy lacks speed... Will likely be around 273 lbs. The sky is the limit for Gary, but between his "flex" usage in college and that he's still a bit raw. It won't shock me if he ultimately goes top 5. 

No doubt that he is talented and at 273-280s he could be a dominant 43DE. However everything I saw indicates he has played at 280-290 both in HS and college. My thoughts are that he will probably enter the NFL closer to the 290s than 270s. 

According to Detroit sportswriter, Gary started this season at 288. http://www.diehardsport.com/college-football/michigan/rashan-gary-added-quite-bit-weight-frame/

In HS he was weighed at 287 in his Junior year. https://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2016/2/4/10833200/rashan-gary-recruit-michigan and Rivals had him as 290 in his senior year https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2016/rashan-gary-91

I guess we’ll know more after we get his measurables and test results at the combine.

Archived