Preseason Wk 3: 49ers v Vikings GDT

Forge

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Good game guys! I think the Niners will be on the rise in a few years given a couple more pieces. I think Lynch and Shanahan will right the ship.

I like your front 7. it's nasty and tough. Foster is going to be yet another great 49ers MLB.

I'm also kind of interested in who wins your Kicker job this year. do you guys like Rose or Gould more?

good luck this year!

I think that they are using Rose as just a camp leg to be honest, though I think that the kid can kick. If Gould got hurt or something, I wouldn't mind Rose as our regular kicker. 

It did indeed look like 'the light went on' with the 1st O and the front 7 of the 1st D. Very promising. Almost let it get my hopes up too high. Had to remind myself this is preseason and neither side had gameplanned...still, very enjoyable. 

It was a bit disappointing all the points we allowed in the final 6 or so minutes...most of those guys may be gone, though. 

Just think ... according to what I've read we're still not game planning for our opponent.  We're running what the coaches think we need to practice and maybe adjusting to what the D is doing.  But imagine what happens if Shanny puts the mind of his to work analyzing the tendencies and weaknesses of every opponent we face and puts something together aimed just at them

One problem I've always had with Harbaugh as a coach was that he was so pig-headed he never wanted to change.  He had an offense he wanted to run and would run it no matter who we were playing or what they were doing.  So frustrating 2 or 3 years ago to watch teams like Seattle keep 8 men in the box all the time and sometimes add a 9th and watch still run up the middle for little or no gain because "hey, we're a power running team".

3 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Just think ... according to what I've read we're still not game planning for our opponent.  We're running what the coaches think we need to practice and maybe adjusting to what the D is doing.  But imagine what happens if Shanny puts the mind of his to work analyzing the tendencies and weaknesses of every opponent we face and puts something together aimed just at them

Well,  other teams get that chance (to gameplan and put together something aimed at us) as well. 

I like those chances though as I think Shannahan is a whole lot smarter than most of the NFL coaches.  We're just a couple years removed from having Jim Tomsulas do game planning for us. So I think this is going to be a pleasant change for us.

5 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

I like those chances though as I think Shannahan is a whole lot smarter than most of the NFL coaches.  We're just a couple years removed from having Jim Tomsulas do game planning for us. So I think this is going to be a pleasant change for us.

We will see. Smarter isn't the only thing. If he's smart, but stubborn and unwilling to adjust, which wouldn't be all that atypical for an intelligent person, then it really means very little. And I don't find it particularly likely that he's "a whole lot smarter" than most coaches. Those are some pretty smart guys out there. His effectiveness as a coach will come from a whole lot more than just his intelligence. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Amazing to think had Smith not suffered his injury, Foster may have started the season on the sidelines. Now he may be our best defensive player come week 1.

Makes me feel a lot better. Smith starting over him would have given me some concern, either about Foster or about the staff to be quite honest. Not sure which one though lol

17 hours ago, Forge said:

We will see. Smarter isn't the only thing. If he's smart, but stubborn and unwilling to adjust, which wouldn't be all that atypical for an intelligent person, then it really means very little. And I don't find it particularly likely that he's "a whole lot smarter" than most coaches. Those are some pretty smart guys out there. His effectiveness as a coach will come from a whole lot more than just his intelligence. 

You only need to read the quotes from our players, even experienced veterans like Staley, to know that Shannahan understands a whole lot more open the details of the game than most coaches. And it's not just that he knows; he appears to be able to share that knowledge with others.  It's not just that they comment  on it, which is rare.  They sometimes seem blown away by it.  Yes, much more to being a head coach.  But play caller? I'm not sure. Making adjustments on the fly? I'm not sure. Diagnosing what the other team is doing and taking advantage of it? I'm not sure.  Honestly I don't think all play callers are anywhere near equally good at those things. I think the difference in coachs' abilities in this area is actually as big as lining up the 32 starters at any position in the league and comparing them - pretty big difference from best to worst.  I think the same is true for offensive scheming, planning and play calling.

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Amazing to think had Smith not suffered his injury, Foster may have started the season on the sidelines. Now he may be our best defensive player come week 1.

When asked about our current guys the staff already said they will put the best 3 on the field.  I always thought that in the end our best 3 would have been Smith, Foster and Bowman. I don't know who would play where but I always expected tthem to be on the field together.

14 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

You only need to read the quotes from our players, even experienced veterans like Staley, to know that Shannahan understands a whole lot more open the details of the game than most coaches. And it's not just that he knows; he appears to be able to share that knowledge with others.  It's not just that they comment  on it, which is rare.  They sometimes seem blown away by it.  Yes, much more to being a head coach.  But play caller? I'm not sure. Making adjustments on the fly? I'm not sure. Diagnosing what the other team is doing and taking advantage of it? I'm not sure.  Honestly I don't think all play callers are anywhere near equally good at those things. I think the difference in coachs' abilities in this area is actually as big as lining up the 32 starters at any position in the league and comparing them - pretty big difference from best to worst.  I think the same is true for offensive scheming, planning and play calling.

I take all of those quotes with a grain of salt. I mean, the Jaguars players once effusively spoke of Gus Bradley. Those type of comments are not rare...they're about as common as "so and so is in the best shape of his life" stories. I don't doubt that he's intelligent, and that he understands the game, obviously he wouldn't be here if he didn't. But there are a lot of smart guys out there. JUst in our division we have Pete Carroll, Bruce Arians, who are both smart guys, and McVay, who is very similar to Shanny you could say. And yes, there is much more to being a coach to make adjustments on the fly - you have to be observant, you have to not be stubborn, etc. Same for playcalling...sometimes you fall too in love with what you are doing - you need to be self aware. You need to be cognizant of what is going on, what situation you are in, etc. Shanny basically bombed in that last year in the second half of the super bowl, for example. Everyone makes mistakes, but you have to learn from them as well. 

The point is, there are a lot of good coaches out there, and a lot of bad ones. We haven't seen him even be a head coach in a real game as of yet. Its weird to try and posit that we have any built in advantage with him as a coach right now. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fNQlXyAOgE

Forward to 1:35. It was mentioned on twitter, but Hoyer may have attended the pass to Goodwin instead of Hyde LOL.

I dont see it that way. He did look to goodwin initially and even pulled back to fire but you can see his eyes come back to the left from that endzone camera angle. 

With how sharp he was all night, he gets the benefit of the doubt on that one. he hit hyde right in the numbers lol

Archived