2019 Head Coach carousel

jetskid007

Point off by a thousand miles, I accidentally stumbled into Ken Whisenhunt's daughter on the internet.  She is about to marry Zach Mettenberger in June. Too bad Zach doesn't have NFL career.  Kind of weird to have back to back head coaches whose daughters are marrying to LSU players. heh

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

That shows his agent is an idiot. 

What do you mean?  That his agent did not anticipate NFL interest and locked him into a contract with USC already?  OR that he did not put an escape clause in his contract for a NFL opp?

6 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

What do you mean?  That his agent did not anticipate NFL interest and locked him into a contract with USC already?  OR that he did not put an escape clause in his contract for a NFL opp?

His agent had to know that KK wanted to explore NFL opportunities, right.  There is a clause in NFL's CBA that NCAA AD is allowed to reject permission from NFL.  Violating the protocol will be punishable in NFL.  Sports agents should know about that before allowing KK to join with USC instead of Rams.

4 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

If you're a coach and the AD at your school is blocking you from potentially taking a better job, then it may not sit right for you. 

He's one of the most sought after coaches in both NFL and NCAA. He'd easily land on his feet if he chose to resign. 

8 minutes ago, JetsandI said:

His agent had to know that KK wanted to explore NFL opportunities, right.  There is a clause in NFL's CBA that NCAA AD is allowed to reject permission from NFL.  Violating the protocol will be punishable in NFL.  Sports agents should know about that before allowing KK to join with USC instead of Rams.

I am fully aware of all that .. just did not know what you meant. 

I looked up Mike McCarthy's coaching staff.  He had been very loyalty to coaches.  I can see Ben McAdoo as OC but I don't want to see Winston Moss on Jets coaching staff at all.  Moss had been with McCarthy every season since McCarthy become Packers' HC. I don't see any "WOW" moments in defense during his tenure in GB.  New voice and new face may improve McCarthy's status as NFL HC.  

Ah as for defensive coordinator, I can see he will hire a veteran coach for that such as Chuck Pagano or Mike Pettine.   Joe Whitt Jr. may be a darkhorse for this job.

1 minute ago, JetsandI said:

I don't know if KK actually considers a resignation from USC.  It is all from media crap.

Who knows but I agree with you that his agent screwed the pooch.  Only other plausible explanation is that KK does not want to interview and USC is providing cover (that happens too)

1 hour ago, jetskid007 said:

This is such an underrated aspect and it goes back to the relationship between the QB-HC. SP and DB are inseparable whereas A-Rod wanted MM to go. 

Everyone and their mother would sign up for Sean Payton (I would too), but when I look deeper at the stats it offers proof why McCarthy is a much better candidate then given credit for. 

• MM has 7 more wins than SP since 2006. SP did miss all of 2012, but point being they've had very similar success (MM's WP is .618 versus SP's .615) 
  • Both went to 1 Superbowl, won 1 Superbowl.
  • MM has made the post-season 9 times, SP 7. 
  • SP has 7-5 postseason record, MM 10-8. 
  • Brees has been active for all but 3 games during his time with SP; A-Rod has missed 18 games. 

McCarthy gets discredited a lot simply because he got to coach Rodgers and Favre, but its not totally fair. McCarthy could be the rare coach that got away and have an impact on this organization the way Reid has for the Chiefs. I know people like to criticize Reid for his lack of a ring or lack of postseason success, but let's worry about getting there first. Which coach on the open market is most equipped to get us back to winning? McCarthy. 

Good stats there. 

I have to give him some type of props on Rodgers development because Rodgers slipped in the draft because he wasn't viewed as a top player. Scouts were wrong, but also have to give the props to MM for the system that allowed him to grow. Reid is hot because he has a system that a coordinator can't run off with. Does MM have it? I don't know. Rodgers could have been a jerk? or maybe MM screwed up? Those are questions I'm sure were answered in the interview. My biggest concern is the defense under him. 

Record-wise, he's in the mix with a lot of coaches we like. He's had good teams, but we've seen coaches with good rosters fail. From 2010, John Harbaugh had 2 losing seasons, Reid had 1, and Pete Carroll 2. The only top coaches who didn't have losing seasons since 2010 were Tomlin and Bill. McCarthy has won and maybe knows what is needed for a team to win. If we're giving him a pass for missing Rodgers, he had 1 losing season since 2010. 

I would love to pick up a young popular coach, but the Franchise isn't in the position to continue to take chances on unproven coaches when someone with his resume is there. There is still a chance we may not offer him the job.  Eric Bieniemy, Matt Rhule, Kris Richard, or Todd Monken. I'm still researching Rhule.

Monken is interesting because of what he did with Tampa's offense last season and his work with Southern Miss. No one seems to talk about that. The year before he came, they didn't win a game at all. Year 1: 1 win, Year 2: 3 wins, Year 3: 9 wins and a bowl game appearance. In 3 years, he turned around a winless team to a winning team. Throw that on top of his NFL experience, he fits a lot of needs. 

Personal Take on McCarthy

-He needs to evolve like Reid evolved because his mundane, conservative WCO doesn't work anymore

-Rodgers development, to me, is more in the hands of Tom Clements than McCarthy, although McCarthy's systems were tailored to Rodgers strengths

-I think McCarthy is a safe hiring, but I question the ceiling.

Archived