Week 15 Titans vs. Giants

KingTitan

4 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

So if the DB doesn't grab Davis, Davis doesn't drop the TD and Taylor doesn't drop the deep ball things don't change for you? a 21/25, 2 td 1 int 280-300+ yard performance doesn't change your viewpoint of that game?

Seriously? You say not to use statistics to judge players and then list a long string of hypotheticals to come up with shoulda, woulda, coulda statistics to support your argument?

Just now, TitanSS said:

Seriously? You say not to use statistics to judge players and then list a long string of hypotheticals to come up with shoulda, woulda, coulda statistics to support your argument?

The point is you use statistics to judge players, so him having a game of 280+ 2 tds and only 4 incompletions doesn't change your viewpoint of the game?

You ignore the context of his games and rely on what his final stat line looked like, so I was just showing you what it would have looked like with context added in.

We can both agree that he wasn't nearly as good as his Jets statline showed, no?

So where is the difficulty in understanding his Jags statline didn't highlight how well he actually played?

3 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The point is you use statistics to judge players, so him having a game of 280+ 2 tds and only 4 incompletions doesn't change your viewpoint of the game?

You ignore the context of his games and rely on what his final stat line looked like, so I was just showing you what it would have looked like with context added in.

We can both agree that he wasn't nearly as good as his Jets statline showed, no?

So where is the difficulty in understanding his Jags statline didn't highlight how well he actually played?

I ignore the context? Dude I watch the game and comment on every play. I'm not looking at a statline and then forming an opinion.

You need to get off your high horse as if you're the only person on the forum who forms opinions without looking at a stat sheet. It's making you look bad.

Just now, TitanSS said:

I ignore the context? Dude I watch the game and comment on every post. I'm not looking at a statline and then forming an opinion.

You need to get off your high horse as if you're the only person on the forum who forms opinions without looking at a stat sheet. It's making you look bad.

It certainly feels like I'm the only person who has actually watched Mariota in his career when we have our forum freaking out over the last two years about "how bad he's been" when he's been the same QB since he took his first snap vs Tampa Bay.

8 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

The day NFL fans stop relying on statistics to judge players will be a good day.

Mariota was never as good as his 2016 run/stat line would indicate. Nor has he ever been as bad as his 2017 stat line would indicate.

Context, context and more context.

Don’t need statistics to show he’s not playing very well right now and has been pretty mediocre all season. Anybody with eyes can see he’s struggling to work within the pocket right now. 

Just now, TitanLegend said:

It certainly feels like I'm the only person who has actually watched Mariota in his career when we have our forum freaking out over the last two years about "how bad he's been" when he's been the same QB since he took his first snap vs Tampa Bay.

Your making claims about how other people form opinions based off nothing but your own arrogance. 

Just now, ttitansfan4life said:

Don’t need statistics to show he’s not playing very well right now and has been pretty mediocre all season. Anybody with eyes can see he’s struggling to work within the pocket right now. 

He's struggled in the pocket his whole career.

Mularkey literally maxed protected on every single play for a reason.

I know people like to clown Mularkey and Robiskie for how dumb they were or whatever, but their evaluation of Mariota was accurate. If he doesn't have a good run game and great protection, he's generally not gonna do a ton.

He's pretty much Alex Smith but doesn't have the virtue of Andy Reid play designs where the ball gets out quick to people wide open in space. He also doesn't have the curse of having Andy Reid be his coach come playoff time, I guess, as a positive pay off.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

Your making claims about how other people form opinions based off nothing but your own arrogance. 

No, I'm stating peoples opinions on Mariota were wrong from 2016, have shown evidence that supports that, and you're taking offense to it for some reason. But because he threw 26 TDs in 2016 he was apparently really good or something.

5 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

No, I'm stating peoples opinions on Mariota were wrong from 2016, have shown evidence that supports that, and you're taking offense to it for some reason. But because he threw 26 TDs in 2016 he was apparently really good or something.

I'm taking offense to you basically saying everyones  forming opinion in the wrong way, but you. Everyone knew Mariota had flaws in 2016, but most of us thought a 23 year old could grow out of them

If you don't understand how that's arrogant, I can't help you.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

I'm taking offense to you basically saying everyones  forming opinion in the wrong way, but you. Everyone knew Mariota had flaws in 2016, but most of us thought a 23 year old could grow out of them

If you don't understand how that's arrogant, I can't help you.

I don't mean it to come off like that. I did intend for it to come off that everyone thinking Mariota was great in 2016 because of the numbers he put up was forming an opinion the wrong way. And yeah, I was hopeful he could grow too..but, alas, here we are.

And I try not to be arrogant. I am confident in my ability to judge QBs in the NFL, but that certainly does not mean I'm always right or anywhere close to it. And as confident as I am in my ability to evaluate them after I've seen some play from them in the NFL, I'm about as garbage as it gets when it comes to evaluating them coming out of the draft. I thought Mariota was gonna doom the franchise, but he's turned out alright. I wanted to stick with Mett(I didn't like Mett at all, not sure anyone did lol, but I preferred that over spending the 2nd pick on Mariota) and figure out something else from there.

The thought of trading for Rivers back then enters my mind a lot..though I think if we'd done that we'd still be stuck with Ken Whisenhunt so I'm kinda glad we didn't.

Archived