Week 15 Titans vs. Giants

KingTitan

20 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

like idk man, does anyone here actually remember 2016? do you remember marcus routinely threading the ball between 3 defenders in the red zone? how long has it been since he’s made a throw like that?

People remember his 2016 stretch as being far better than it actually was. People get caught up way too much in the statistics. Mariota isn't any better or worse right now than he was in 2016. He's been the same decent QB his entire career.

In other news:

2 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

People remember his 2016 stretch as being far better than it actually was. People get caught up way too much in the statistics. Mariota isn't any better or worse right now than he was in 2016. He's been the same decent QB his entire career.

i mean....statistics matter. if mariota had 26 touchdowns this year do you think we'd be barely on the edge of playoff contention?

6 minutes ago, TitanLegend said:

In other news:

This is awesome. Being a tight team matters when you are in dire game situations. 

I love it. Fighting for each other. 

Just now, -Hope- said:

i mean....statistics matter. if mariota had 26 touchdowns this year do you think we'd be barely on the edge of playoff contention?

Statistics only matter if the context behind them matches their scale.

Mariota played one of his best games of the year against the Jags last week but statistically/QB rating wise it was one of his worst. But because a Jags DB grabbed Davis, Taylor dropped a deep pass and Davis dropped a TD, he goes from having a ~115-120 QB rating game to a 75.3 QB rating. Against the Jets he was largely mediocre, if not worse, but finished the game with a 90.4 rating.

Mariota during his 2016 stretch beat up on some really bad defenses, and was able to do so because teams were so scared of us running the ball that they loaded the box repeatedly. He was never elite during that stretch like so many people wanted to believe. He was just a decent QB taking advantage of defenses paying 0 respect to our pass game and selling out to stop the run.

He put up that stretch against Indy(x2, 22nd in the NFL in ppg allowed), SD(29th in the league in PPG allowed), CLE(30th in the league in PPG allowed), GB(21st in the league in PPG allowed, and pretty sure it was worse than that before they started their "Rodgers says we're gonna win out" streak), Miami(18th in the league in PPG), JAX(25th in the NFL in PPG allowed), CHI(24th in the NFL in ppg allowed). So he played a bunch of bad defenses that sold out to stop the run.

When he went up against actually good defenses in the 2nd half stretch? Denver and KC(4th and 7th in ppg allowed respectively)? He didn't look like Warren Moon anymore. He played a game manager style game against Denver and KC. And as he's done throughout his career, turned it up when we needed it most vs KC.

People gotta get over this 2016 Mariota being incredible BS that they've been on and on about for the past couple years. He wasn't. He was fine, solid, good, whatever, the same QB he is right now.

If this o-line keeps run blocking like this and Henry keeps playing like this the rest of the season/going in to next year too? You'll see that Mariota suddenly return because the offense will no longer be on his shoulders. He's not capable of carrying the offense on a consistent basis. He's a QB that's good enough to win with if you build a solid team around him.

We're a pass rusher away from an elite defense and hopefully the switch has flipped for Henry and maybe we can get a replacement on the IOL and maybe a solid #2 to pair with Davis.

1 minute ago, TitanSS said:

Mariota had an 8 game stretch in 2016 where he was better than this, but he ended the season very poorly. 

Has he really always been this afraid to make a contested throw?

Dude's made tons of contested throws to Delanie in his career. And seems to be starting to trust Davis to do the same.

But if he doesn't have 100% faith in the guy he's throwing to, he's not gonna make the throw if it's contested. Not a good thing, but just is what it is with him.

Even without glancing at the statistics I disagree with Mariota playing his best game last week. I thought he looked like a game manager and had a few inaccurate throws. So if the statistics say he had a meh to average game, I would say the context matches, because that's what I saw. I thought the Jags and Jets games were very similar meh games for him.

And I remember quite a few contested throws to Matthews as well as Walker.

He's gonna have to get over that. 

2 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Even without glancing at the statistics I disagree with Mariota playing his best game last week. I thought he looked like a game manager and had a few inaccurate throws. So if the statistics say he had a meh to average game, I would say the context matches, because that's what I saw. I thought the Jags and Jets games were very similar meh games for him.

And I remember quite a few contested throws to Matthews as well as Walker.

He's gonna have to get over that. 

So if the DB doesn't grab Davis, Davis doesn't drop the TD and Taylor doesn't drop the deep ball things don't change for you? a 21/25, 2 td 1 int 280-300+ yard performance doesn't change your viewpoint of that game?

Just now, TitanLegend said:

So if the DB doesn't grab Davis, Davis doesn't drop the TD and Taylor doesn't drop the deep ball things don't change for you? a 21/25, 2 td 1 int 280-300+ yard performance doesn't change your viewpoint of that game?

Nope he is a bad QB. 

Archived