2019 Draft Talk!

ET80

6 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Gaines said something to the effect of “Khalil was brought here to challenge Davenport”

really makes me nervous that we think LT is solid. 

I think a lot of it is subterfuge. Nobody says what they actually think right now, a few days before the draft.

53 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I just realized the draft is Thursday, which happens to be the premiere of Endgame....

that's why im watching it late Friday night after day 2 of the draft.  no way im missing the draft day 1.  i can wait one day to see endgame.

3 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

that's why im watching it late Friday night after day 2 of the draft.  no way im missing the draft day 1.  i can wait one day to see endgame.

I'm going Friday afternoon - took the day off. xD

Two of the teams that I’ve heard most often as candidates open to trading up—Carolina (No. 16) and Houston (No. 23)—wouldn’t be going up for quarterbacks. In all likelihood, it’d be a move to get one of the top three tackles. Each has been very present in that market on the scouting trail over the last three months, and the dropoff from the first cluster (Alabama’s Jonah Williams, Florida’s Jawaan Taylor, Washington State’s Andre Dillard) to the second (Alabama State’s Tytus Howard, Ole Miss’ Greg Little) leaves both teams in a bit of a no man’s land, drafting too low for the former and too high for the latter. So both could move up or, failing that, move down.

per https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/04/22/nfl-draft-2019-news-rumors-trades-panthers-texans-lions-dwayne-haskins

58 minutes ago, Pastor Dillon said:

Kipper has Greedy Williams at 35 on his top 300

i really want him. 

i do too if all the good offensive linemen are gone.   While he has tackling issues, he still makes plays when the ball is in the air.  Our secondary needs guys to can force turnovers.  Gibson and Reid are our 2 best guys that does that and they both play safety. We need a playmaker at CB badly.

4 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

i do too if all the good offensive linemen are gone.   While he has tackling issues, he still makes plays when the ball is in the air.  Our secondary needs guys to can force turnovers.  Gibson and Reid are our 2 best guys that does that and they both play safety. We need a playmaker at CB badly.

I’m not worried about him being a tackler in the box. We need a lock down CB to play the teams best wR. 

17 hours ago, jch1911 said:

I'm actually thinking along these lines, too - if one of the top three guys is still on the board at 15, we're moving up (or trading Clowney for a pick in that range). 

I don't know who said it, but somebody on 610 (I think) hinted that there's an understanding between Houston and Detroit (who holds the #8 pick). If the board plays out a certain way, Houston would move Clowney for pick #8 and pick Dillard. (There's probably a lot more that would have to flip between the two teams, but this would be the gist of the trade).

Do I believe this will happen? No, not really. Not at all, actually. But man, would that be nice. You'd need to look at edge defenders at 23, but you'd be guaranteed a franchise LT, a guy you're supremely confident in.

http://www.walterfootball.com/nflhotpress/article/2019-NFL-Draft-Week---Wednesday-Rumors#ci3VmY4ZzioGVXJo.99

Sources with the Texans say that general manager Brian Gaine is likely to play it safe with his first-round pick, which is the first time he is selecting for organization. In free agency, Houston added some veterans to weak areas like the secondary and offensive line, but more work is needed for both position groups. Sources with the Texans say two offensive linemen who are top contenders for their first-round pick are Oklahoma tackle/guard Cody Ford and Boston College guard Chris Lindstrom. It sounds like the Texans are higher on Ford, who offers more position flexibility, and they feel he is a better fit in front of Deshaun Watson, as more mobility is necessary to protect the athletic quarterback and his tendency to hold on to the ball for a long time.

In the secondary, the Texans would want a corner in the mold of a young Johnathan Joseph who can run, move with suddenness, and cover longer downfield. They were tight lipped on which corners fit their parameters, but adding more talent to the secondary and offensive line seem to be top of mind for the Texans organization.

Archived